Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:42 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I agree. We had two very personable, entertaining, cats. One lived for 18 years and passed away 2 years ago in December 15, 2013, the other lived 20 years and passed 1 1/2 weeks ago (December 13th, 2015). What a difference home feels like. I miss her and it's not the same. They sure make home feel like a home. It is hard to explain to non animal people.
I know exactly how you feel. I have 2 cats ages 9-17 & the older one is showing her age. One of my cats died last December & I still feel the pain. I did bury her in my back yard as well as 2 other cats of mine. I would rep you but the admin has disabled my rep system. I do live in a mhp & just don't let your pets roam outside cause a lot of mobile home parks are trap crazy like mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 12:47 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
I lost my much-loved cat last June. I cried buckets. I thought I'd never love a cat like that again.

Well, let me introduce GG. (No picture, sorry). She has stolen my heart, is getting very spoiled, and I am happy to say my heart is healed and I love her so much. I have not forgotten my Mimsy; she will always have a special place in my heart and mind. But sadly she wasn't to live forever, as I had hoped for a miracle. Instead, God sent me another special angel.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:16 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
It's said that some of us have a dog/cat-shaped place in our hearts. I adopt senior dogs so there is a lot of turnover but I wouldn't want to have missed knowing them just because I have to lose them.

Old 12-24-2015, 01:23 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It's said that some of us have a dog/cat-shaped place in our hearts. I adopt senior dogs so there is a lot of turnover but I wouldn't want to have missed knowing them just because I have to lose them.
When I adopted GG, I saw many senior cats, all sitting patiently and waiting. I wish I could go back and adopt them all. I have a limit of one pet per apartment. So it remains in my dream book of things I would like to do.

I did not adopt a senior, I had just lost Mimsy and was sure I did not want to go through that again so soon.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:03 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
kudos, brighdoglover.

I also have adopted seniors, including one 11 yr old deaf one. It hurts to lose them but not more than it feels good to have loved them.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:38 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times
Trailers are an economical housing option, but you probably need to be outside of a trailer park and many city limits to be able to do foster, shelter, or kenneling, and space is limited.

An outside the box option to consider may be a steel building with a house and kennel integrated into the building. Just something to consider/research. It may be the most cost effective option to do what you want to do wrt living arrangements and rescue/boarding operation.

Steel Framed Homes | Free Prices & estimates

Old 12-24-2015, 02:50 PM

306 posts, read 416,439 times
I live in one and so far love it. I was always in apartments and while I felt safe with the closeness of neighbors it was too close and more and more apartments charge not only a pet deposit but an additional pet rent. Like my cat would do more damage than a kid? Living next to a smoker who was banished to a patio or parking lot was no fun either. Now my neighbors are close enough I feel safe but they smoke inside or it's far enough, I have a garden and what the OP was interested in I have 2 cats with no fees. They are indoor/ patio only cats many folks here have dogs. There is a limit of 2 maybe 1 dog.

Fostering more than 1 or 2 at a time might be a problem most places unless it was big enough for cats or had a decent sized yard for dogs and there was no limit.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:51 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I agree. We had two very personable, entertaining, cats. One lived for 18 years and passed away 2 years ago in December 15, 2013, the other lived 20 years and passed 1 1/2 weeks ago (December 13th, 2015). What a difference home feels like. I miss her and it's not the same. They sure make home feel like a home. It is hard to explain to non animal people.
I'm so sorry about the loss of your baby, Petch. We lost our precious boy kitty in September and we still miss him so much! He was our last pet, and yes it has been super lonely. Hugs to you.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:52 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I lost my much-loved cat last June. I cried buckets. I thought I'd never love a cat like that again.

Well, let me introduce GG. (No picture, sorry). She has stolen my heart, is getting very spoiled, and I am happy to say my heart is healed and I love her so much. I have not forgotten my Mimsy; she will always have a special place in my heart and mind. But sadly she wasn't to live forever, as I had hoped for a miracle. Instead, God sent me another special angel.
So happy for you NY Gal. Makes me want to go out and get another baby to love! Our's lived to be 16, 17 and 18.5. Miss them all like crazy. Me thinks I need another one. LOL>

Old 12-24-2015, 03:40 PM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Thanks to all of you for suggestions & information. I do know the cost of owning a pet & they are worth every penny spent.

Thanks especially to StealthRabbit for the suggestion of ROC USA. What a great website. I did see the ones in Minnesota. I'm going to have to check those out. I wish there was one in Tennessee. I talked to two of my brothers yesterday & they both want me to move closer. One lives in Nashville and the other in southern Illinois.

I would have only one or maybe two cats & only foster one dog at a time. I want to make sure I can give each pet my attention. The last cat that owned me demanded a lot of time and affection. He was such a wonderful cat.

You have all given me a lot to think about. I will more than likely stay here in my apartment for another year because my lease is up in April & that does not give me the time I need to travel to the places I'm interested in. I can't have pets here & I really miss having a furry friend.

I can't afford a house which is why I'm thinking of a mobile home. Having a year plus to plan gives me plenty of time to make a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement