U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 08:35 AM

10,489 posts, read 5,952,316 times

Advertisements

I'm still not sure if this is a thread about mobile homes or dogs. So if it's OK I 'd like to discuss mobile homes.

Personally I always thought they got a bum rap, they are not the cheap pieces of tin they used to be. But I'm not a fan of mobile home parks and their ridiculous lot fees. Next to condo fees this is the biggest rip off in real estate IMO.

The low end is $200-$300/month and it goes up from there for the right to rent a tiny bit of land, trash and sewar removal, and the occasional snow plow. There is a reason Warren Buffet is so bullish on investing in mobile home parks and why so many recommend them for retirement income, they are cash cows with the low income homeowner providing the cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:42 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,405,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
It's said that some of us have a dog/cat-shaped place in our hearts. I adopt senior dogs so there is a lot of turnover but I wouldn't want to have missed knowing them just because I have to lose them.

I hand it to you with the seniors - I have two senior bowzers and as they grow older I feel they are reverting back to puppyhood in many ways. The old feed them and then know that they will have to go out immediately. A fenced in yard is a must.

Old 12-25-2015, 01:54 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,091,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
In other words, what do pets have to do with mobile homes?

I can only guess, but it seems to me if you get a dog, and it turns out to be Cujo, having a mobile home will make it easier to move away from that dog.
You do know that when they move the mobile home you bought to your lot/land they take the wheels away with them and set it up on concrete blocks. So there won't be any moving the home away from Cujo anytime soon.

Old 12-25-2015, 02:57 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,477,182 times
Okay, obviously I wasn't clear. Can I claim early Alzheimer's?

I'm thinking of buying a mobile home because I want a pet again but cannot afford to buy a house & a lot of the apartments I've checked, including the one I live in, do not allow pets.

I'm going to keep checking on what I can afford & what my realities are & will be. I don't plan on moving for over a year so have plenty of time to make decisions.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:50 PM

To some folks I would be but I'm rich in spirit.

Old 12-25-2015, 05:54 PM

749 posts, read 486,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
To some folks I would be but I'm rich in spirit.
Then you are rich in the most important thing!

Old 12-25-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judeK View Post
You do know that when they move the mobile home you bought to your lot/land they take the wheels away with them and set it up on concrete blocks. So there won't be any moving the home away from Cujo anytime soon.
I'm not understanding you. I've never had an animal bite me. The most they do is try to lick me to death or get in my lap when they're almost as big as I am, or get on the keyboard when I'm at the computer or try to snag my yarn when they want me to quit crocheting. Where does Stephen King' s Cujo fit in there?

Old 12-25-2015, 07:02 PM

13,349 posts, read 25,607,620 times
My parents lived out there lives in a very nice mobile home park in the same suburb as the house they'd had. It was the only mobile home park in the area, on the line with a tough little city. I always saw it as the size of a small two-bedroom apartment with neighbors further away than an apartment would be. It was by a river park and a very nice location and I never saw an issue with living there. The lot rent was about 500/month, but that was New Jersey and included taxes and stuff. I think it beat apartment living by a great deal. Renters were not allowed- had to be owners. It was very quiet and you could only have indoor cats, which they did. I would consider it myself, in fact, have, in my current town in Mass. if the need arose. (But then of course I couldn't have so many dogs).

Old 12-25-2015, 07:02 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
meo92953: Just offering my 2 cents.

I think you are richer than you realize. Money is not everything. Yes, it is necessary, it is nice to have, etc. But I've met very cold people who have a lot of it.

You have a personality (judging only from your posts) that is positive, fun, and you have a huge heart. To me, that is more important than the all-mighty dollar.

You are smart. You've made sacrifices because of your injury from auto accident.

I have all kinds of confidence that you will figure out what is right for you and you will do it.

Hang in there. Know that I am cheering for you!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:41 PM

Thank you, NYgal. I'll find my spot. In the meantime, I will have fun exploring. I love your support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or