Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 12:06 AM

7,019 posts, read 6,228,721 times

Advertisements

I would like to foster pets. I have been without a cat for almost a year & it is so hard to live without a pet

A Cat for, forever & foster cats & dogs. If that will be possible,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 02:31 AM

7,485 posts, read 10,434,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I would like to foster pets. I have been without a cat for almost a year & it is so hard to live without a pet

A Cat for, forever & foster cats & dogs. If that will be possible,
Yes, I agree...life without our 3 dogs would be very much lonelier!

They are my buddies, and I go almost nowhere without one or more of them in tow!

I am sure that every pet whose life you save, and give a good home to, will give you years of companionship, love, and joy!

Old 12-24-2015, 06:37 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,320,612 times
What has that got to do with the title?

Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 AM

5,945 posts, read 5,085,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

I am only guessing here, but if she is living in an apartment she may not be able to have even one pet, or if a pet is allowed, probably just one.

Living in a mobile home, there would be less chance of those restrictions.

But I have seen some mobile home parks that do limit number and sometimes say no pets allowed. Need to check that out before making a move.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:13 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,271,334 times
my mother in law and my parents both lived in retirement community mobile homes. in Florida. homes and neighborhoods were nice but MIL could have NO pets and mom and dad could keep one cat.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:31 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,245,816 times
If the OP wants to live in a mobile home and foster pets, then the OP needs to buy some land and put the mobile home on it. Most communities, even mobile home communities, have rules regarding pets.

If the OP plans to stay in Minnesota, it appears that land prices are quite low compared to other parts of the country, so buy up some land and foster as many as you can financially afford. I love that idea!

Old 12-24-2015, 11:08 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,791,066 times
My daughter says a home isn't a home without a pet. Which is true.

We have both a dog and a cat.

The dog is my shadow, goes everywhere with me.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:55 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,216,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
In other words, what do pets have to do with mobile homes?

I can only guess, but it seems to me if you get a dog, and it turns out to be Cujo, having a mobile home will make it easier to move away from that dog.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,586 posts, read 57,536,124 times
Quote:
I'm Seriously Thinking of a Mobile Home
1) Always look for a resident owned community (YOU have some control of rents, park, equity, security...) here are a few, but not an exclusive list: ROC USA : Home I have seen some great examples of ROC's One in my TX town has been going since 1978. Space lease is 1/4th the market rates, and resell home prices are 2x. Very nice park with some long-term RV rental spaces that cover a lot of the resident's expenses; pool, maint, improvements, taxes.

2) Go 55+ MHP to avoid 'trailer trash' parks YMMV

3) Try to find a park built on hillside, with carports attached at same level as doorways. (100% of homes Handicap accessible without ramps / steps)

4) Check the infrastructure of park (especially sewer).

5) If not ROC, KNOW your MHP owners and how long they have / plan on staying. Very popular to sell parks to investors who clear out the homes and build apartments. VERY difficult to find a place to move a used MH.

6) Your own acreage with mobile home is often a good solution
. Since you may need elder care, add RV hookups and a shop with apartment for you, or future caregiver. I often buy rural places that have excellent view and a trashed mobile home. Home can be replaced in a couple weeks. You can buy used homes or repo very cheap <$30k. ~$5k to move it.

If you are gonna have (barking) DOGS... get a few hundred acres. I am so happy my adjacent neighbors to one of my prettiest rural rentals (20+ acres) have put their place up for sale. 24x7 barking dogs (4) will not be missed. Neighbors from over a mile away have commented on how hard it is to work outside, or sleep with windows open with yapping dogs nearby. 50+ yrs of pet ownership for me. No barking and no messes in the yard allowed or tolerated (nor have ever happened). Even when the bears and cougars drop in for a visit, my 'farm dog' is smart enough to not bark. He does bare his teeth and growl fiercely at the tax assessor.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:15 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,580,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
My daughter says a home isn't a home without a pet. Which is true.

We have both a dog and a cat.

The dog is my shadow, goes everywhere with me.
I agree. We had two very personable, entertaining, cats. One lived for 18 years and passed away 2 years ago in December 15, 2013, the other lived 20 years and passed 1 1/2 weeks ago (December 13th, 2015). What a difference home feels like. I miss her and it's not the same. They sure make home feel like a home. It is hard to explain to non animal people.

Last edited by petch751; 12-24-2015 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement