U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 04:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

The good life...

I'm listening to this TED talk right now:

Robert Waldinger: What makes a good life? Lessons from the longest study on happiness | TED Talk | TED.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 05:16 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,138,396 times
My wife and I just got back from a visit to my mother-in-law, she lives in a very nice nursing home less that 15 minutes from us. You all just reminded me of something she said. By the way she is 92. She was talking about old times, about when her and my FIL first got together and she was saying how clearly she could remember all the people in the neighborhood, all the neighborhood girls that were jealous of her when she got together with my FIL, etc. Then she stopped and said "How can I get lonely when I have such wonderful memories" Now, at the time I took her to mean she wasn't lonely, but, now that I am back home and think of it again, I wonder?

Well, there is a lot of stuff to wonder about in this life. I wonder why I enjoy going back to my army days. I didn't like them much, the army days, when I was actually going through it, but now, I can see there were many good times, people that were good friends that I lost touch with many years ago, but I would love to see them.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:31 PM

4,845 posts, read 4,956,944 times
In Malcom Gladwell's book Outliers, chapter 1 is called The Rosetto Mystery

Outliers: The Story of Success - Kindle edition by Malcolm Gladwell. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

In summary, he discusses a group of people who formed a large social group and in spite of eating all the wrong things, etc. they mostly just died of old age.

Being a member of a large social group in which the members all look out for each other has a large benefit for longevity.

Old 12-24-2015, 05:42 PM

13,092 posts, read 13,691,553 times
the quality of my life is built on my relationship with God, and everything else flows from there.

Old 12-24-2015, 06:02 PM

4,670 posts, read 3,246,905 times
It seems a few of us have lost some of our friends and we are longing to find new friends.

Something I had to learn and I believe it is quite true for everyone is that in order to have friends we have to be our own best friend first. Might not make sense right away, but give it some thought. Learn how to take care of yourself well; like yourself; and enjoy your own company. I spend a lot of time alone and if I had not learned to do this, I could be unhappy.

Liking yourself is not an ego thing. Liking yourself will be a very helpful tool in your own life.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:53 PM

4,704 posts, read 2,547,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I do live in a senior building & people have tried to get close but, as I said, there is so much I can no longer do. We have a community room and I do go to community events but, it really hurts to sit long in a "regular" chair. After an hour I can barely get out of the chair, much less walk down the hall to my apartment. I am getting better so maybe later on.
I visited an active 55+ community that was very nice (Oakmont), and one of the things I noticed is just as you mentioned, the "regular" chairs that they used for events such as movies and lectures. They were one step up from folding chairs, straight backed chairs that were a bit higher than most shorter-statured seniors would find comfortable.
Also, the room was more of a multi-purpose room where there was no slope and seeing over someone's head could be problematic. I didn't like what I saw, though much of Oakmont itself was very nice, and the people I met there were exceptionally nice, well-educated and active.

I have been told, but have not seen, theater seats at Rossmoor in Walnut Creek, which I was told are in a sloped auditorium and are more comfortable.

Comfort is so important to enjoyment as we age.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:27 AM

7,116 posts, read 8,156,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Being a member of a large social group in which the members all look out for each other has a large benefit for longevity.
We're hoping so, up here at our place in Maine.

We have myself, my wife, my brother, and my wife's brother, ranging in age from 66 to 72. My brother and BIL each have their own homes on this same land. At the end of our road are my favorite gardening friends, the 94-yo and his 90-yo wife. About 15 minutes away are my eife's friends, the couple who run a B&B that we stayed at; they are in their 70s. The rest are younger, but very reliable people.

I feel confident that any of us would help any others, in any hardship or crisis.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:38 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,956,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
We're hoping so, up here at our place in Maine.

We have myself, my wife, my brother, and my wife's brother, ranging in age from 66 to 72. My brother and BIL each have their own homes on this same land. At the end of our road are my favorite gardening friends, the 94-yo and his 90-yo wife. About 15 minutes away are my eife's friends, the couple who run a B&B that we stayed at; they are in their 70s. The rest are younger, but very reliable people.

I feel confident that any of us would help any others, in any hardship or crisis.
Lucky for you.

I'll bet you make it to 100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or