U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2015, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
8,947 posts, read 7,725,979 times
Reputation: 12154

Advertisements

Thank you all but the bottom line of selecting any retirement location has to be that conditions might change so one should never make irrevocable decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2015, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Washington State
18,459 posts, read 9,554,421 times
Reputation: 15750
Factors for us (wife and I have different priorities):
Proximity to kids and GC (Seattle)
Climate
COL
Activities that we enjoy
Beauty of location

I retired 2 days ago so we are thinking about where to retire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Central NY
4,655 posts, read 3,237,575 times
Reputation: 11912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Factors for us (wife and I have different priorities):
Proximity to kids and GC (Seattle)
Climate
COL
Activities that we enjoy
Beauty of location

I retired 2 days ago so we are thinking about where to retire.
Time has a way of passing all too quickly. Before you know it, five years will have gone by and nothing has been decided probably because of the differences between you and your DW.

I am sure you are well aware of that already; just wanted to remind you of what can happen.

Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Southern Oregon coast
480 posts, read 506,539 times
Reputation: 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Thank you all but the bottom line of selecting any retirement location has to be that conditions might change so one should never make irrevocable decisions.
We did everything you're supposed to do when planning your post retirement downsizing and move. We started researching various areas three years before DH was planning on retiring. After visiting Portland, OR we were certain we found our spot. We took four trips there in each of the four seasons, narrowed down our neighborhood and bought our little slice of heaven, which happened to be a small condo close-in in the northwest hills.

One year later, we are realizing our downsizing was too extreme and we don't care as much about being close to the action in the big city, nor do we enjoy condo living. Fortunately, we can correct our course and that's what we are in the process of doing. Sometimes what you think you want isn't what you want at all.

Reminds me of the old saying, " Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2015, 08:57 PM
 
14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Reputation: 20048
I have pretty simple tastes and my concerns were these:

1) Lower COL. We retired at 54 and that means that I have to plan for 40+ years.

2) Good health care. Most large cities have good healthcare as long as you are willing to look for it. This provision did rule out a couple of smaller cities that do not have very good healthcare or limited access to specialists.

3) A climate that would facilitate a healthy lifestyle. My guideline is that I want to be able to walk 5 miles per day at least 8-9 months per year.

4) I wanted to live in a community where there are shared values and beliefs and a "live and let live" atmosphere. I wanted to live in a neighborhood where people interact with each other and where people do not hide behind fences and walls.

5) I wanted at least some cultural activity around. No, I do not need to live in a MEGAcity to find culture.

6) I hate congestion. Spending an hour parked on the Dan Ryan or on I-5 is about as close to hell on earth that you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:58 AM
 
Location: Central Massachusetts
4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Reputation: 6377
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Time has a way of passing all too quickly. Before you know it, five years will have gone by and nothing has been decided probably because of the differences between you and your DW.

I am sure you are well aware of that already; just wanted to remind you of what can happen.

Good luck to you.
Time does pass by too quickly but Tall just retired 2 days ago. We are the same way we were never going to make a final decision until I retired at the earliest. That is because life is still going on with all its requirements. There was just no way to really make that choice. I have 89 more days before I call it quits. There is nothing wrong in taking time to decide and make an informed decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 07:38 AM
 
Location: Yavapai County
745 posts, read 481,670 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have pretty simple tastes and my concerns were these:

1) Lower COL. We retired at 54 and that means that I have to plan for 40+ years.

2) Good health care. Most large cities have good healthcare as long as you are willing to look for it. This provision did rule out a couple of smaller cities that do not have very good healthcare or limited access to specialists.

3) A climate that would facilitate a healthy lifestyle. My guideline is that I want to be able to walk 5 miles per day at least 8-9 months per year.

4) I wanted to live in a community where there are shared values and beliefs and a "live and let live" atmosphere. I wanted to live in a neighborhood where people interact with each other and where people do not hide behind fences and walls.

5) I wanted at least some cultural activity around. No, I do not need to live in a MEGAcity to find culture.

6) I hate congestion. Spending an hour parked on the Dan Ryan or on I-5 is about as close to hell on earth that you can get.
Sounds like a pretty good list! So where did you end up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 08:32 AM
 
14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Reputation: 20048
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Sounds like a pretty good list! So where did you end up?
Twenty miles south of Tucson, AZ in Green Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Reputation: 19395
Our list started with weather, because you live with that every day, and that meant 1) no deep south humidity (my requirement) 2) no snow shoveling or living in snow more than a day or two per year (DH's requirement), and 3) no desert (both of us).

Next was general environment , we both wanted semi-rural, and in an area of natural beauty.

Third was COL which includes taxes, it had to be cheaper than our current northern CA home, which meant pretty much anywhere else!

Fourth was recreational opportunities in our immediate neighborhood, 1) must have a lake or river (me), 2) must have golf course (DH).

Fifth was a way to make new friends, interest clubs, etc, in which we could participate to enable us to create a new social circle.

Sixth was proximity to outdoor recreation that we could explore. New sights, parks, hiking areas, lakes, and new cities/towns, etc.

Seventh was reasonable proximity to shopping/cultural events/city stuff, reasonable being less than 45 minutes drive to us.

We're extremely happy with our choice, being within about half an hour of Knoxville, TN.

edited to add: You may notice the absence of any ideological requirements, and that is because I am a very independent thinker and have never needed to live near others who echo my thoughts and feelings. I don't discuss politics or religion. DH truly couldn't care less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Yavapai County
745 posts, read 481,670 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Twenty miles south of Tucson, AZ in Green Valley.
Cool! I thought it might be somewhere in AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top