U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,519,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Shucks, ya'll are gonna make me blush...

Oops, gotta lose that southern accent if I wanna fit in up nawth.
Park the Car in Havard Yard-go Red Sox, and then mope! the Boston tea Party, and the charlie on the MTA, could never get off! Good time Charlie Crist! the Cabots, and lodge-and Beacon Hill! and do not forget the Boston Terrier! and then the Snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,992,946 times
My husband and I will retire in the next 4 months, we've targeted a few items that we knew we would want so we've purchased them now so we can have them paid for before retirement. I recently purchased an expensive set of cookwear, still in the box will use will open once we move to our new location, we just picked up a small laptop for traveling, downloaded streets and trips for our cross country travels. So we are picking up the items we want for retirement now so when we down size our income we will already a few of the spendy items that we want.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,649,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tressa View Post
So we are picking up the items we want for retirement now so when we down size our income we will already a few of the spendy items that we want.
I did that, too. Since you still have 4 months before your retirement date, you might want to start stocking up on your prescription medications, if any. It will give you that much more of a jumpstart into retirement, sort of a soft barrier between what you could afford when you were working and what you need to save for afterward. When I moved, I had a year's supply of my blood pressure medication, paid for by the insurance I knew I wouldn't have in retirement.

Just a thought.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,575,490 times
Some medications are in 30 day prescriptions only and you can't refill until just before the end of the month. Do all medications keep their potency for months and months? I am not familiar enough with medications to comment, just a question.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,649,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Do all medications keep their potency for months and months?
Most do when kept in cool dark place - follow guide on package. Mine stayed good for a full year. I kept them in their containers inside a paper bag in the fridge.

You can ask you doctor for a larger prescription and if you tell him/her why, they usually have no problem with it - assuming it is a maintenance medication.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:31 PM

5,393 posts, read 21,388,001 times
I did some careful budgeting and estimating that may not have been conservative enough for us to maintain the standard of living we anticipated. Expenses are rising and income dropping faster than we planned for.

In the past three years we have seen substantial increases in our cost of living where we have little control. This year alone we have seen an 8% increase in property taxes, a 23% increase in health insurance, along with the increases in fuel, food, and household maintenance that we have all experienced.

At the same time our portfolio results were positive but well below planned last year and off to a depressingly negative start this year. Our only source of income is our portfolio which has barely returned enough in our first three years of retirement and maybe depressed for the near term.

We are adjusting our budget and investment plans to maintain right now but if the current trend goes on for years we will have to make major changes in how and where we live.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:49 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,846,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Some medications are in 30 day prescriptions only and you can't refill until just before the end of the month. Do all medications keep their potency for months and months? I am not familiar enough with medications to comment, just a question.
Excellent question. Most medications have an expiration date from the manufacturer of from several months to 2 to 3 years. The expiration date varies for each medication depending upon a variety of factors including chemical composition of the active ingredient, the excipients or binders used to create the dosage form (tablet, capsule, etc), and the mechanism of delivery. For example, liquids tend to have shorter initial expiration dates.

Your question gets more complex when you consider that the expiration date must be shortened when the product is repackaged. For example, if a Pharmacy repackages from bulk to a patient compliance package, i.e. "blistercards" used in some nursing homes, the manufacturer's expiration date no longer applies.

Finally, it is important to consider that the expiration date may change on many drugs at the point the container is opened. Breaking the seal of the original package creates exposure to air and light which speeds the decomposition process for some medications. Examples: once an Advair Diskus inhaler package is opened it is only good for 30 days. In contrast Serevent Diskus inhaler is good for six weeks. Xopenex once opened and stored in the foil is good for 14 days. However, if you don't store it back in the foil it is only good for 7 days. Tablets of sublingual Nitroglycerin lose potency EVERY time the bottle is opened. The guideline is that it is good for 6 months when first opened. However, if the patient uses it one to two times a week, I would suggest getting a new bottle in 90 days.

Sorry, if this is more info than you wanted, but I wanted you to get an accurate response, and to appreciate the many factors that affect expiration dates.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:50 PM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
People need to realize there is more to all of this then the Ameritrade ad would have you think

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
... Tablets of sublingual Nitroglycerin lose potency EVERY time the bottle is opened. The guideline is that it is good for 6 months when first opened. However, if the patient uses it one to two times a week, I would suggest getting a new bottle in 90 days.
My DW's nitro-quik has to be replaced every 90 days.

She wears it in a necklace.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 PM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
People need to realize there is more to all of this then the Ameritrade ad would have you think
Many people put themselves into a 'box' metaphorically, while some folks allow others to put them into a box.

If you are stuck in the common box of thinking that you can not invest in any vehicle other than the stock market; then perhaps that advertisement is appropriate.

I have owned stock. I do not currently own any stock. I sold it all when my eyes were opened to the world of other investments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or