U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 07:14 PM

9 posts, read 7,371 times

Advertisements

My new knee is 5 1/2 weeks old. I am very glad I did it, and can walk faster, no more limping, stand up straighter, and it's healing nicely. I am at 90 degrees range of motion. (was 30 degrees before surgery)

The downside? Lack of sleep. And, of course, some of the exercises hurt.

So, how are you doing???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 08:06 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,449,470 times
Could you outline the steps taken after surgery? How long in hospital? Did you need to go for a live-in stay at a rehab facility after being released from hospital?

After that, did a physical therapist come to your residence or you went to a physical therapist location?....how many times per week? Do (or did) you have special equipment to help with exercises at your home? ice too?

I'm hoping to have the newest knee replacement surgical procedure done in first half of 2016 called Makoplasty. Only a very few doctors in U.S. provide it and are trained in it. Until 2016, it was just for partial knee replacement, but as of sometime in 2016, it will also accommodate full knee replacement....with less invasive surgery, less cutting of tendons & ligaments, quicker recovery time.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:13 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,048,724 times
I'm 17 wks post-op and can't yet say I'm happy about having it done. Sleep issues lasted at least 12 wks. Now my other calf and hamstring are really bothering me and I can't sit for more than 15 minutes without getting very stiff. They say it takes up to a full year for complete recovery. I wish I'd known that up front.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:18 PM

I'd be interested in hearing whatever details you are willing to share about your experience, N.Cal.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:24 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,048,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Could you outline the steps taken after surgery? How long in hospital? Did you need to go for a live-in stay at a rehab facility after being released from hospital?

After that, did a physical therapist come to your residence or you went to a physical therapist location?....how many times per week? Do (or did) you have special equipment to help with exercises at your home? ice too?

I'm hoping to have the newest knee replacement surgical procedure done in first half of 2016 called Makoplasty. Only a very few doctors in U.S. provide it and are trained in it. Until 2016, it was just for partial knee replacement, but as of sometime in 2016, it will also accommodate full knee replacement....with less invasive surgery, less cutting of tendons & ligaments, quicker recovery time.
There is a great website and forum for joint replacement surgery. (Search for what they saw in two + opposite of dumb that starts with s).

My hospital stay was 3 nights, then home. I live alone so my 86 yo dad flew in to help. He had one knee done 20 yrs ago. Home PT/nurse x 5 days, more to prick my finger daily and call in blood values so the could regulate blood thinner pills. Outpatient PT after that 3x per week. I go to the same guy I've been going to for over a year.

The only exercise I did at home was walking. Lots of ice and elevation. M

I wouldn't count on that much of a shorter recovery.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:47 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Quote:

My wife had a total knee replacement in September 2015 and is about 3.5 months out. She checked into the hospital at 6 am on a Monday morning and was discharged about 2 pm on Tuesday afternoon.

There was really no need for a rehab center as I am retired and could spend the time playing nurse, coach, cook, and maid and the like. Most of the people who go into rehab places do so as they are 70+ and often have no support structure at home. As for our support structure, we had a LOT of neighbors who either lent us equipment, moral support and two ladies that provided us with about two weeks of food. (I neglected to tell them that I did all the cooking, not my wife.)

My wife has visited the physical therapist 3x a week MOST weeks since the surgery. We were gone on a trip for three weeks in November so she visited a physical therapy center in Chicago for two of the weeks we were gone. We did not do the physical therapist at home routine. It was not necessary and it was also more expensive.

As for exercise equipment, the surgeon did prescribe a passive motion machine which was a big help and a chilling compression machine which was a complete waste. My wife had a lot of other small equipment that she still had from prior knee surgeries.

As for ice, that is critical. I would recommend cleaning out your freezer and either getting large bags of ice delivered OR make your own bags by mixing 1 cup of rubbing alcohol with two parts water in a gallon freezer bag. The advantage of using real ice in gallon freezer bags is that you can buy the ice at the store and have a very quick and constant supply. However, the alcohol bags get colder and conform to the knee. You will need to ice, ice, and ice.

As for new procedures on the knee, I do not recommend them. 90% of the recalls on knee replacement products come of products that are on the market < than three years. Do you really want to have to do it again if the new product/procedure fails. I am far more interested in having the surgery done by an orthopedist who has done THOUSANDS of these procedures in a major medical center. I would really avoid doctors who only do a couple of knee replacements a month.

I cannot emphasize the importance of the physical therapy in the healing process. Basically, your physical therapist will handle about 90% of the interactions once you are out of the hospital. The more you complete the assignments of your physical therapist, the quicker you will recover and regain the full function of the knee.

MAKE sure that before you select a physical therapist that the physical therapist will be working with you directly. The physical therapist might use other staff members on occasion but should meet with you each meeting. A trend we noticed at some providers in Arizona was that the only time that you see the physical therapists is on the first visit and they leave nearly all the work to physical therapy aids. That is NOT good.

For the record, my wife is 56 and has experienced two knee surgeries and a reconstruction of her shoulder due to a fall. In addition, she handled workers compensation claims for a major insurance company which required her to work with a lot of orthopedists and physical therapists among others. I would say that she is a pretty good judge of medical professionals in that field. She spent a month researching which doctor in the Tucson area that she wanted to perform the surgery and which physical therapists she planned to use including interviewing them before consenting to the knee replacement.

I hope that helps.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:23 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
I had a total knee replacement on the right. Performed December 1, 2014, was in hospital 4 days and went directly to a rehab place where I stayed for just under 2 weeks. I live alone, I was 72 at the time, and was grateful I had a place to go to rest, recuperate, and get some good rehab. They kept us pretty busy with exercises, doing both P.T. and O.T. (occupational therapy). Tested us to see if we could get in and out of the shower by ourselves. Had recommendations to make it easier if we needed it. Got home and a nurse/p.t. person visited 3x week x 2 weeks. She had 10 different things I had to do and demonstrate for her. She and the surgeon were quite impressed with my progress, how quickly I could bend the knee back. Ice was my friend and lidocaine patches were wonderful. I had a lot of discomfort in my foot and ankle which totally went away soon after I got home. Sleeping was a little hard, getting my leg to find a comfortable position. I had a knee repair about 18 months before the replacement which caused much more pain than the replacement.

Make sure you do everything they tell you to do. Yes P.T. can be quite painful, but if you don't do it and work through the pain, your recovery may take a very long time. Set some goals for yourself.

If you are curious, you can find a video of an actual knee replacement on U-tube.

No pain, get around just fine, it's worth it.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:46 PM

Thank you Lawrence01 and NYgal2NC!!

NYgal2NC, how did you handle provision of the ice in your apartment?

Old 12-25-2015, 10:10 PM

983 posts, read 761,577 times
I was in the hospital for two nights following my total knee replacement. Had about 3 home therapist visits. I used an ice machine at home...6 months of therapy in a clinic. Had to have a manipulation under anesthesia halfway through because I was having a hard time getting my motion back...I had a very difficult time with inflammation through recovery. Since then I have been diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis which probably contributed greatly to the problems I had with motion and inflammation.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:24 AM

4,669 posts, read 3,245,044 times
Quote:
Thank you Lawrence01 and NYgal2NC!!

NYgal2NC, how did you handle provision of the ice in your apartment?

I've often used ice packs.... the kind with the blue liquid inside. So had some of those in my refrigerator freezer to use whenever I needed them. I used ice primarily in hospital and rehab. Hospital supplied two large ice packs which I was told to take home when I left.

I can't take those high-powered pain meds. Tylenol has always been my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement