U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 06:28 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,665,603 times

Advertisements

Mom brought my sister and I home from the store too early while Dad and my brother were still putting together a bookcase for me and a Barbie Dreamhouse for my sister. My sister was too young to figure it out and was easily bluffed, but I already had doubts implanted by one of the bad boys in the neighborhood, so it solidified my suspicions. I was disappointed and yet a little proud I had figured it out for the most part already. And of course it's made a great family story through the years

My granddaughter will soon be seven and I can almost see the gears turning in her head while she's trying to figure out and make sense of all the Santa Clauses and other incongruities she sees. It takes several 'proofs' before a kid figures it out. It won't be long, she's in school so there's always some kid that wants to share the news that Santa's not real, add that to any little doubts she has, and it all becomes clear.

Most kids know long before they admit it, just in case there could be a Santa and for fear they may not get a present from their parents if they admit to them that Santa isn't real: playing it safe and being Santa agnostics.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-26-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:40 PM

823 posts, read 563,979 times
When I was 7 years old, I loved to read my mother's dog-eared copy of Dr. Spock's "Baby and Child Care." I learned so much about child development and psychology from its pages. But I regretted my poking my nose where it shouldn't go when I came upon the section called "What to tell your child about Santa Claus."

I had bought my mother's stories entirely. I felt so betrayed when I learned that she had lied to me. But over time, I understood that she had done it so I could enjoy "the magic of Christmas." As the eldest sibling, I kept up the pretense for the sake of all my little brothers and sisters.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:49 PM

11,083 posts, read 12,464,975 times
What, at 64, you're telling me Santa isn't real. I call bs on that. Santa IS real!

Old 12-26-2015, 07:05 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,350,109 times
It was Easter not Christmas that crashed my beliefs. My parents one year didn't make an Easter basket for me but my 2 younger brothers each got theirs with candy. I was very hurt that I didn't get one and parents were not nice at all and told me I was too old to believe in the Easter Bunny. Actually I did believe, I believed everything adults told me about everything. It shook me up terribly and that was the beginning of my not trusting adults being truthful.

I don't remember Santa Claus being traumatic but that was 6 months later and I was wised-up by then.

I have never been a parent but I know there's a good way and a bad way to tell children about Santa and the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:17 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
It was Easter not Christmas that crashed my beliefs. My parents one year didn't make an Easter basket for me but my 2 younger brothers each got theirs with candy. I was very hurt that I didn't get one and parents were not nice at all and told me I was too old to believe in the Easter Bunny. Actually I did believe, I believed everything adults told me about everything. It shook me up terribly and that was the beginning of my not trusting adults being truthful.

I don't remember Santa Claus being traumatic but that was 6 months later and I was wised-up by then.

I have never been a parent but I know there's a good way and a bad way to tell children about Santa and the tooth fairy and Easter Bunny.
Seems like many of us were the oldest. That hurts, being told you are "too old." I can remember being told that and I hope no one ever says that to their oldest kid. Ouch! Too old to do the things you love but your little sister or brother can do it.

Oh well, once I found out Santa was make believe, the Easter Bunny and all the rest of the childish beliefs seemed to just evaporate painlessly. (But I have never forgiven that mean boy who first told me!)

Old 12-26-2015, 07:57 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,062,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What, at 64, you're telling me Santa isn't real. I call bs on that. Santa IS real!
^^^ this. Totally this. Tried to rep for truth, but I gotta spread it around.

Santa came to MY house again this year!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:21 PM

1,071 posts, read 806,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
^^^This. I've seen him all over the Hallmark channel this month

Old 12-26-2015, 08:23 PM

4,964 posts, read 3,454,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Seems like many of us were the oldest. That hurts, being told you are "too old." I can remember being told that and I hope no one ever says that to their oldest kid. Ouch! Too old to do the things you love but your little sister or brother can do it.

Oh well, once I found out Santa was make believe, the Easter Bunny and all the rest of the childish beliefs seemed to just evaporate painlessly. (But I have never forgiven that mean boy who first told me!)
Being the 2nd youngest, I heard the whispers. Oh yeah, I heard & May someday forgive the 'oldsters'.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:57 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,479,224 times
I don't remember but I don't think it was a big deal. Dallas Cowboys losing a Super Bowl traumatized me more.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:59 PM

479 posts, read 399,299 times
I remember being told to go to sleep on Christmas Eve, because Santa would know if I was awake and would not come to our house. Just like my parents, making me feel like my "behavior" could affect the whole family! I did n't really like Santa because it seemed terribly mean that if I couldn't' sleep, the family wouldn't get any gifts.

Anyway, I skipped grades and turned 7 in t h e 3rd grade where everyone else was already 8 or 9. Some of the kids couldn't' t stand that others still believed in Santa, and were very insistent that "it's your Mom and dad." There were some holdouts, but I knew it must be true. It did n't take away the magic, since I was still thrilled to get presents and I loved the Christmas tree (still do).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or