U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:53 AM

71,463 posts, read 71,652,652 times

Advertisements

i was 25 and my wife broke the news to me .

good thing the little elves that still come at night and do all the cooking and cleaning are still real .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldUndeniable View Post
I love this!! I actually did not know this about Saint Nicholas, and I will definitely pass that along. Thanks.
That's funny. Although as Jewish kid I was not taught that the story of Santa Claus was real, I do remember being taught somewhere about St Nicholas. Maybe I asked my parents where the story originated and they knew so maybe it was they who told me. It seems that I have always known about St Nick.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:24 PM

210 posts, read 150,317 times
My parents never left cookies and milk for Santa. Instead, they left a check. I never compared this with my friends but this was before television was common. One year my dad had had it up to the kazoo with hiding eggs and he saw us coloring some boiled eggs. He just spontaneously popped out with something like - surely you girls are old enough to know their is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny. And we did but we had figured out that kids that kept this "knowing" to themselves had more fun. Besides Santa was just the "Cash on Delivery" guy.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:02 PM

4,477 posts, read 4,737,152 times
Growing up in a Manhattan apt. there aren't too many places to hide out or hide presents. But it was when I awoke to a voice coming from the living room. I got up and went out of my bedroom and heard "Santa" cursing a blue streak while attempting to but together a bicycle. Dear old Dad. I was hardly crushed and just went back to bed and laughed in my pillow so he wouldn't hear me.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:21 PM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldUndeniable View Post
We discussed this again with our 11 year old this week because out of the blue when we were out looking at Christmas lights, he said it was "stupid" to believe in Santa Claus because how could one man get around the world in that amount of time, etc. Good proof of a working brain and logic, and it led into a good discussion about the fact that literally no, there is no Santa in the sense of one man doing all of it all around the world. We told him that in a sense Santa is real, because all over the world there are people who have Santa as part of their Christmas tradition, and they buy presents for their children to show their love - that it is this *feeling* that is magical and allows every child who gets presents to get them "all at once" on the same day. It's the unspoken agreement and tradition that gets passed down that Christmas is a special time of year, that you should have "Christmas Spirit" and think about what others need and want. We talked about how life is hard when you grow up and sometimes it is nice to have those memories to look back on and remember that life isn't always hard, that there are people who are kind and want the best for children. We talked about how people donate money and toys to agencies who distribute them to families who can't afford presents, and how that is an example of the kindness we were talking about. We also talked about how he should never tell a younger child that Santa isn't real, because it's nice to believe in a magical, kind tradition when you are little so that later on you can remember it, and also that it's not anyone's business but a kid's parents to tell them that.

We then discussed (between ourselves, the 2 adults in the car) how we had never understood the story of the loaves and fishes in the Bible until one time at church a sermon enlightened us -- how the minister said that it might not have been a literal miracle, or magic trick, but more of a feeling of wanting to share with others that caused people to share food that they had brought and held back from the collection, so that everyone got full. Something about that made us realize that it is the spirit of giving, not a literal "poof, there's now enough!" moment -- similar to a loaves and fishes food pantry at church where people donate out of their surplus and everyone gets fed.

sorry so long and rambling; haven't posted in a long time.
I love your post!

Old 12-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Instead of telling your children Santa is a myth, tell them he's a saint, and he brought food to starving children, and we celebrate him by putting goodies in stockings to imitate his good deeds.
Except for the fact that I never told my kids that Santa is a myth, I think your suggestion is good. However, I don't really believe in saints being special people. In the Bible, all believers are "saints." But I get what you are meaning. It is certainly better than trying to prolong the fantasy by any means possible

Old 12-28-2015, 09:56 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
I had my own suspicions as a little boy, remember waking up, and caught mom and dad having Santa's cookies and milk.

Old 12-31-2015, 02:38 PM

8,181 posts, read 11,900,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
What, at 64, you're telling me Santa isn't real. I call bs on that. Santa IS real!

Santa is real; it's the moderator who apparently is imaginary.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:15 PM

49 posts, read 33,573 times
I "kind of" (meaning wanted to) believed until I was about 10, actually. But in my defense, I was an only child, no cousins anywhere near my own age, never rode the school bus, and all the other kids in the neighborhood were a few years younger than I.

One day while we were visiting some relatives, my teenage cousin and her boyfriend said they wanted to go to the local ice cream shop and my aunt told them to take me along (I guess so the adults could talk about "grownup stuff", lol). During that time the subject of Christmas presents came up and in the midst of that my cousin said "You don't still believe in Santa, do you?" and naturally I scoffed and said "Are you KIDDING? Of course not!" as indignantly as I could manage. What she said finally popped the fantasy/reality balloon, lol

I never actually came out and told our son there was no Santa, and he never asked me outright, so I assume he was told by someone else. He too was an only child so there was no younger sibling to play out the charade for.

What I can't for the life of me remember is how my parents explained how Santa got into our house since we didn't have a fireplace! Probably they just told me that Santa doesn't really need one because he's magic.

As a grandparent I'll probably go along with the Santa charade but without saying outright that "he is real". I really like the way EmeraldUndeniable explained it. In any event I suspect that Santa and the Easter Bunny will be much less of a challenge than being an atheist grandmother to a child being raised Catholic!

Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronaria View Post
I "kind of" (meaning wanted to) believed until I was about 10, actually. But in my defense, I was an only child, no cousins anywhere near my own age, never rode the school bus, and all the other kids in the neighborhood were a few years younger than I.

One day while we were visiting some relatives, my teenage cousin and her boyfriend said they wanted to go to the local ice cream shop and my aunt told them to take me along (I guess so the adults could talk about "grownup stuff", lol). During that time the subject of Christmas presents came up and in the midst of that my cousin said "You don't still believe in Santa, do you?" and naturally I scoffed and said "Are you KIDDING? Of course not!" as indignantly as I could manage. What she said finally popped the fantasy/reality balloon, lol

I never actually came out and told our son there was no Santa, and he never asked me outright, so I assume he was told by someone else. He too was an only child so there was no younger sibling to play out the charade for.

What I can't for the life of me remember is how my parents explained how Santa got into our house since we didn't have a fireplace! Probably they just told me that Santa doesn't really need one because he's magic.

As a grandparent I'll probably go along with the Santa charade but without saying outright that "he is real". I really like the way EmeraldUndeniable explained it. In any event I suspect that Santa and the Easter Bunny will be much less of a challenge than being an atheist grandmother to a child being raised Catholic!
We didn't have a fireplace either. I was told that Santa came in the window! But of course, I didn't believe in him all that long.

I also wonder how my grands are going to find out. Not from me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or