Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 10:04 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,725 times

Advertisements

I have a big concern about this. There are children in my extended family who still "believe" at age 13 and 11. A couple years ago the now-11-yr-old said to his now 13-yr-old big brother, "I know there really isn't a Santa" and his big brother said, "Shhh don't say that or HE won't come give you presents." Now 2-years later, the 11-yr-old we thought didn't believe any longer, made a huge big deal out of putting out the reindeer food and the cookies & milk.

Their Mother is afraid to talk to them, thinking they should just figure it out for themselves. I think the longer and longer they wait to talk with them the more they're going to resent the truth when they hear it. Course, I don't believe for one minute they haven't heard the truth from their classmates, etc., but for some reason, they still want to believe.

They both know their parents give them presents, but continue to say that so does Santa. It's just all weird. I think they don't believe and are afraid to say so. I think their mother is afraid to say it to them too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:52 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I was about 5 years old. I looked up inside our fireplace and concluded that Santa couldn't possibly come down that narrow chimney, so he couldn't be real. It wasn't a horrifying discovery. My parents had always told me about Santa, but in a way that helped me understand that he was more "pretend" than real.
That makes two of us. I looked up there (from the outside) and realized that Santa was way too big to fit down that chimney. I think my mom was more disappointed than I was . . . I think she would have enjoyed the charade a little longer. Turned out my parents had a system every Christmas. We went to Grandma's on Christmas Eve and then did our presents at home when we got back. So while we were at Grandma's one of them would always have to go back to the house for something they forgot. That was the opportunity to put the presents out and the cookies and the milk. Good thing we lived close by. I'm an only child so that wasn't a problem and my older cousins were sworn to secrecy. I was never into fantasy (still not) so I'm surprised it took me that long!

Old 12-26-2015, 11:16 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,062 times
I do not remember ever believing in santa, but I remember that I pretended to believe in Santa for quite a few years because it seemed so important to my mother for me to believe and I didn't want to hurt her feelings

Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
My mother never gave up. Presents under the tree, well, some of them... Still came from Santa. Even in our 20s.

Or maybe it saved her writing mom and daddy's not the tag... Santa is shorter.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:37 AM

775 posts, read 775,717 times
Does this thread need to be in a parenting forum? Or, are we really saying that some kids will believe in Santa until they are in their 70's and inherit an estate? Or borrow cheap money all their lives to get new stuff? If this crap really ended at age 8 it would be a different world.... But our economy would suck.....just sayin'.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:53 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
We celebrated Christmas the Scandinavian way, on Christmas Eve, and in my family Santa actually showed up with the gifts and distributed them to the kids in the family, Ho-ho-ho! When I, at the age of 4, recognized my granddad underneath the beard, the red suit and the Santa cap, my heart stood still for a moment while my world readjusted itself, and then I just played along, accepting the notion of sharing a fantasy. He was so happy putting on a show for us that I certainly wasn't going to ruin his Christmas! But I don't remember him playing Santa ever again .

Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 AM

775 posts, read 775,717 times
I grew up in a Norwegian Lutheran home in Minnesota. Christmas Eve was dress up, church first, then dinner, then presents, or when we were older, dinner first, presents, and midnight church. We used to brag about our gifts at church, go figure. The big event was always on Christmas Eve which was frustrating for those who had to work. Christmas Day was stocking presents, dinner, and sitting around. Maybe football after football on TV became a thing. It was usually pretty boring for kids after gifts were opened. But we never went out unless it was for a walk. We really had to bond with our family whether we liked it or not! And the Norwegian goodies rocked. It didn't matter where we were or which day it was.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:15 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of children. If you don't believe in saints, you don't believe in God.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:18 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
....When did you learn? Was it traumatic? What about your kids, if you had any? Was it traumatic for them? Do you think it is damaging if they "believe" into their upper grades? Or not?
I got the no-Santa message from other kids. Some of the neighborhood kids had reached the age or been told there was no Santa, some of us were not ready to believe this.

Sometime, I think around seven or eight, I did give up the belief myself...but I did not tell my parents. I hung up a stocking and I got some useless fruit in it and some small cutsie gifts - clearly supplied by my parents. Why kill the Santa-fills-your-stocking trick? I just let them go on filling it up.

I did finally admit that I didn't believe. BUT I kept hanging that stocking up until I was eighteen, and it was the first thing I went for on Christmas Day...more darned oranges, but neat little things I could use in school or that were funny.

If you are an adult, don't mess with Santa, please. If asked give wiseacre non-committal answers. Grownups screwed up enough things for kids as it is.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:18 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,006,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If you don't believe in saints, you don't believe in God.

Ah, yes. That's what I love about religious people. If you don't believe exactly what they believe, your belief system is sht and you're an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement