U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 07:04 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,860,883 times

Advertisements

I spend less than an hour a day on financial news, often no time at all. Exercise wise, I exercise bike and weight lift three times a week and row once or twice a week too. Also get in about 12-15 miles a week of walking, including the walk back and forth to the gym.

Now sports viewing...
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 08:11 PM

890 posts, read 682,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sorry but I don't get why you are comparing exercise with financial monitoring.
If you read the detail of my OP, it wasn't as narrow as exercising but the time we devote to our health, wellness and fitness. While we can't manage some health maladies beyond our control, there is much we can do to promote our health, wellness and fitness and indirectly this adds to our financial well-being.

For example, lots of men my age have lower back pain and I'm not talking about the kind from an injury or something degenerative that may have a genetic relationship. Oftentimes this kind of pain is the result of weak core musculature and being unfit and/or overweight. This back pain may require them to spend money for medical care and prescriptions (even if only co-pays) that may not have been required had they spent time staying in shape, keeping their weight in check and keeping their muscles strong. Medical costs, as you know, come out of the same nest egg intended for retirement financial security.

Does that help you understand my OP?

Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 PM

6,379 posts, read 4,803,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sorry but I don't get why you are comparing exercise with financial monitoring.
Well, I understand. And it is not a comparison, both are wise. Many people will save and worry about finances but they do not take care of themselves and are not likely to live very long into retirement.

My father did a great job of preparing financially but he continued to smoke: triple bypass, aortic aneurism, stroke, carotid artery disease, blindness, emphysema, pancreatic cancer. A great many retirees are grossly overweight. That can destroy joints and mobility leading to further weight gain and health issues such as diabetes, hypertension, and cardiac issues. Lots and lots of serious health issues fall into the preventable category.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:06 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,166,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Much is shared here about everyone's retirement planning journey and for those of you who have arrived, the smart things you're doing to make sure your retirement nest eggs don't run dry.
Do you spend the same amount of time and effort with your physical health and fitness?
borninsac,

I had participated in several threads about health and exercise at this retirement forum. There maybe more discussion about financial than health here but I am certain that the latter topic is as important if not more than the former topic to seniors.

If anything, the retirees that I know in real life are more concerned and pay more attention to their physical health and fitness than their financial status.

At this point in most senior life, there are not a lot of thing that we can do to improve our financial situation but plenty of things that we can do to maintain our health and physical fitness. Best of all, many of these things are 'free' like walking, hiking, exercising, climbing stairs etc. Folks here have talked about participating in silver sneaker program. Many if not all gyms offers big discounts to seniors. Eating healthy does not always mean having to spend more money.

My answer to your question is that I spend a heck lot more time and effort with my physical health and fitness than financial planning. I do check financial headlines, major news and the values of my portfolios every so often but very rarely take any actions. My financial activities mainly involve paying my bills monthly, taking care of all the needed changes in our health insurance coverage and doing the taxes once a year. I exercise daily (at least 30 minutes walk and floor exercise daily, weight lifting/swimming 3x a week during the winter. In addition to these activities, I row 1 to 2 hours every day during the rowing season April 1 to Nov 1). Being borderline diabetic, I keep a close watch on my diet to minimize carb intake on top of our lifelong habit of eating whole grains, organic foods, fish, nuts and lots of fruits and vegetables.

About back pain, I agree that this is a common issue for older folks. My husband hurt his back (after building our brick patio 7 years ago) and reinjured it in 2013. The best exercise that we found for low back pain is the Roman chair. Floor exercise like Bird Dog exercise also good to strengthen your back. There are also various McKenzie and other types of exercises for back pain

http://www.livestrong.com/article/31...for-back-pain/

http://www.howcast.com/guides/1001-h...eat-back-pain/

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-27-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:17 PM

161 posts, read 150,852 times
I do now and always have spent MUCH MORE time on exercise and health-oriented activities than financial study. My current fitness and financial bottom line pretty much reflect accordingly. But that's OK.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:37 AM

4,483 posts, read 2,655,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Much is shared here about everyone's retirement planning journey and for those of you who have arrived, the smart things you're doing to make sure your retirement nest eggs don't run dry. I've learned much during my brief stay here and hope to learn more in the future. I can tell that many here have devoted and continue to devote quality time in protecting their financial health?

Do you spend the same amount of time and effort with your physical health and fitness?

For example, if you spend one hour a day on average watching the market and seeing how your investments are doing, talking to others about it and/or even posting comments here about how to and not to do it, are you spending the same amount of time engaging in rigorous exercise to keep your cardiovascular conditioning, strength, etc. And do you spend daily time reading up about nutrition and living a healthy eating lifestyle (including quantity management) to avoid the perils of age-onset health conditions such as diabetes, high cholesterol, excessive bodyweight, etc.

I have a lazy gene in me that's for sure and I sit for a living so know I must be on guard against this lazy predisposition. So I exercise vigorously and regularly and spend time adding to my knowledge about health and wellness, nutrition and physical fitness; probably more so than the time I spend with my personal finances.

What about you?
{I have not read all responses so this may have covered.}

Some of us can't exercise vigorously, our bodies won't tolerate or can't cope.

To YOU I probably look "short,fat and lazy". I gather you are kind of judging others here.

I have a degenerating spine and disks, and bad hip and knee and am riddled with painful arthritis. Some days are hard enough to cope with getting up out of bed to use the facilities!

Medications help, but they have the side effect of weight gain, and as long as I take them, the weight won't come off. Without those meds, I'd be a crumpled up mass of intense pain.
I can attend to most household chores, but can't for instance, mow the lawn without taking many sitting breaks. I DO a limited work job sitting/standing alternating.

I have tried several times to exercise "vigorously" at a health club on a trial basis, but being severely asthmatic, running on the treadmill with my poor deteriorating body was about a pleasant as having a toenail removed without anestesia!

I have had 17 surgeries and am facing at least 2 more this coming year. Some things they can't fix with Physical Therapy or surgically, and I have to learn to cope and live the issues.

When bad weather is coming, or here, I can tell it is on its way or feel it more painfully when it is upon us. There are rainy or snowy days when I can barely move, let alone exercise! I get around with a cane. Try running on a treadmill or using a stair climber with a cane!

We recently bought a new house-a one level ranch, and I was hoping to lose about 20 lbs helping in moving our stuff, a painful job at the best. But I lost only 13 lbs, though I may have gained muscle mass while going up and down and down and up the stairs to get/put stuff in the basement. It is a tall order, even with light small boxes for me to navigate them, especially without my cane as they are steep to boot. In order to lessen the burden, we are having a stackable W/D set put in the kitchen so I don't have to carry laundry and navigate the steps. I do it now with cane in one hand and the clothes in a nylon mesh bag slung over my shoulder/back in the other. CAREFULLY navigating the steep stairs. WE think we'd like to finish the basement, but will include a mascerating toilet in a half bath and a kitchenette for cooking dinner so I don't have to traips up and down, I can stay down there for a while.

I cook and eat "sensibly", though admit to a sweet tooth during the holidays. A small portion of meat and a small portion of starch, and {all the} veggies {I want}.Some days only a salad or a chef's salad.

Every Jan, FEb, and March until now, I manage to take off about 20 lbs. But in order to do so, I cut eating to only two small meals a day then half the size of "usual", and a "diet/protein" shake. Basically I starve myself. I was hoping for 20lbs off for moving, plus another 20 lbs off dieting this coming J/F/M. Since I have lost only 13 lbs moving, which I may have gained back after the holiday rich meals {i go all out}, I don't hope to lose those 40 lbs total ,and I have no idea whether I will be successful in J/F/M this coming year either.

I DO walk often as much as I can. But even grocery shopping can wear me out to a point I must bed rest afterwards. In Spring summer and fall I walk the 1.3 mile route around the block 3 times a day {now will be about 2.5 at the new house..if I can make it around the block}. I have sometimes set out to walk it and had to call my spouse to come pick me up as I could not finish! During winter I walk through out the house.It will be a real chore now as the new house is on flat land but the block goes uphill and down hill, and is longer around.

If I DON'T do some moving, I can "freeze up", making it very painful to start moving again.

SO DON'T JUDGE people you may deem "not fit", not all are as lucky as you. It is easier to get/keep my financial house in order than to exercise. At least I CAN sit, rest my cane against the desk and rest while doing so. Getting up after sitting for an hour to file those papers is about as easy as climbing mount Everest!

Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,744,462 times
I am not convinced that isolated exercise per se is always the answer. However, I do believe that we are designed to move a lot throughout our lives so that is what I am mindful of. Cleaning the house or doing yardwork, riding a bike, hiking, playing tennis, walking the dog... normal things can give us a workout. Still at work for another month but I plan to move a whole lot more in retirement than spend time pondering finances...because I will no longer be tied to an office and a chair. Until/unless I am not able, that much is a choice.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:18 AM

29,957 posts, read 35,010,436 times
One of the great things about Sirius XM is that you can listen to financial, comedy, music etc while exercising, walking or vegetating!

Old 12-28-2015, 08:36 AM

890 posts, read 682,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
{I have not read all responses so this may have covered.}

Some of us can't exercise vigorously, our bodies won't tolerate or can't cope.

To YOU I probably look "short,fat and lazy". I gather you are kind of judging others here.

I have a degenerating spine and disks, and bad hip and knee and am riddled with painful arthritis. Some days are hard enough to cope with getting up out of bed to use the facilities!

Medications help, but they have the side effect of weight gain, and as long as I take them, the weight won't come off. Without those meds, I'd be a crumpled up mass of intense pain.
I can attend to most household chores, but can't for instance, mow the lawn without taking many sitting breaks. I DO a limited work job sitting/standing alternating.

I have tried several times to exercise "vigorously" at a health club on a trial basis, but being severely asthmatic, running on the treadmill with my poor deteriorating body was about a pleasant as having a toenail removed without anestesia!

I have had 17 surgeries and am facing at least 2 more this coming year. Some things they can't fix with Physical Therapy or surgically, and I have to learn to cope and live the issues.

When bad weather is coming, or here, I can tell it is on its way or feel it more painfully when it is upon us. There are rainy or snowy days when I can barely move, let alone exercise! I get around with a cane. Try running on a treadmill or using a stair climber with a cane!

We recently bought a new house-a one level ranch, and I was hoping to lose about 20 lbs helping in moving our stuff, a painful job at the best. But I lost only 13 lbs, though I may have gained muscle mass while going up and down and down and up the stairs to get/put stuff in the basement. It is a tall order, even with light small boxes for me to navigate them, especially without my cane as they are steep to boot. In order to lessen the burden, we are having a stackable W/D set put in the kitchen so I don't have to carry laundry and navigate the steps. I do it now with cane in one hand and the clothes in a nylon mesh bag slung over my shoulder/back in the other. CAREFULLY navigating the steep stairs. WE think we'd like to finish the basement, but will include a mascerating toilet in a half bath and a kitchenette for cooking dinner so I don't have to traips up and down, I can stay down there for a while.

I cook and eat "sensibly", though admit to a sweet tooth during the holidays. A small portion of meat and a small portion of starch, and {all the} veggies {I want}.Some days only a salad or a chef's salad.

Every Jan, FEb, and March until now, I manage to take off about 20 lbs. But in order to do so, I cut eating to only two small meals a day then half the size of "usual", and a "diet/protein" shake. Basically I starve myself. I was hoping for 20lbs off for moving, plus another 20 lbs off dieting this coming J/F/M. Since I have lost only 13 lbs moving, which I may have gained back after the holiday rich meals {i go all out}, I don't hope to lose those 40 lbs total ,and I have no idea whether I will be successful in J/F/M this coming year either.

I DO walk often as much as I can. But even grocery shopping can wear me out to a point I must bed rest afterwards. In Spring summer and fall I walk the 1.3 mile route around the block 3 times a day {now will be about 2.5 at the new house..if I can make it around the block}. I have sometimes set out to walk it and had to call my spouse to come pick me up as I could not finish! During winter I walk through out the house.It will be a real chore now as the new house is on flat land but the block goes uphill and down hill, and is longer around.

If I DON'T do some moving, I can "freeze up", making it very painful to start moving again.

SO DON'T JUDGE people you may deem "not fit", not all are as lucky as you. It is easier to get/keep my financial house in order than to exercise. At least I CAN sit, rest my cane against the desk and rest while doing so. Getting up after sitting for an hour to file those papers is about as easy as climbing mount Everest!

Partner, I'm sorry I've made you feel you're being judged by me but if it's of any comfort to you, know that I'm not and was just asking a question. But I can understand how, with your many ailments, you would feel that way. My spouse has chronic pain and I truly understand how some people can't do what others can. Again, I'm sorry that you have to carry your very heavy cross and know that I don't take for granted my current fitness and wellness because I know it can all be taken away from me in a nanosecond.

And finally, in response to your comment "To YOU I probably look 'short,fat and lazy'" if possible, find comfort in knowing that I'm too busy managing my own appearance to be concerned about someone else in cyberspace's appearance that I'll never know in a real bricks and mortar setting.

Have a blessed day.

Last edited by borninsac; 12-28-2015 at 08:49 AM..

Old 12-28-2015, 09:50 AM

14,464 posts, read 7,983,684 times
There is nothing to monitor financially as everything is in income properties, cash, and a fixed account that will start paying us whenever we decide to take it. Once a month I deposit the rent checks, and once a month the pension check comes. I spend a lot of time on realtor.com looking for an investment property to buy in Maine that we can rent out during the summer and live in during the winter. We are both active people. We walk almost everywhere instead of drive. We were doing 12 mile bike rides once or twice a week, now it's an hour on the stationary bike. We roller skate, ice skate and ski. I do miss my late night bike rides. Sometimes I would be out for three hours. We're going skiing next week, and we usually go once a week for a day trip. Unfortunately the ski resort hasn't opened yet this year. I'll be out on my night rides in March. I can't wait to have the town all to myself again. Sometimes I'm out riding until 3am after I walk the dogs for an hour or more. I'm working on a closet rehab now and hope to be painting it this week. I love projects too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or