U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 04:23 PM

890 posts, read 682,253 times

Advertisements

Much is shared here about everyone's retirement planning journey and for those of you who have arrived, the smart things you're doing to make sure your retirement nest eggs don't run dry. I've learned much during my brief stay here and hope to learn more in the future. I can tell that many here have devoted and continue to devote quality time in protecting their financial health?

Do you spend the same amount of time and effort with your physical health and fitness?

For example, if you spend one hour a day on average watching the market and seeing how your investments are doing, talking to others about it and/or even posting comments here about how to and not to do it, are you spending the same amount of time engaging in rigorous exercise to keep your cardiovascular conditioning, strength, etc. And do you spend daily time reading up about nutrition and living a healthy eating lifestyle (including quantity management) to avoid the perils of age-onset health conditions such as diabetes, high cholesterol, excessive bodyweight, etc.

I have a lazy gene in me that's for sure and I sit for a living so know I must be on guard against this lazy predisposition. So I exercise vigorously and regularly and spend time adding to my knowledge about health and wellness, nutrition and physical fitness; probably more so than the time I spend with my personal finances.

What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 05:11 PM

5,084 posts, read 3,254,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post

Do you spend the same amount of time and effort with your physical health and fitness?

What about you?
I give as much time to my health as I did with financial planning.

None and I'm not apologizing for it. Hip and sciatic going bad. Already had a CHF....Next time I go into a hospital for something like that, I want to leave feet first.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:13 PM

890 posts, read 682,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I give as much time to my health as I did with financial planning.

None and I'm not apologizing for it. Hip and sciatic going bad. Already had a CHF....Next time I go into a hospital for something like that, I want to leave feet first.
I'm sorry for your health maladies and hope my question didn't come across mean-spirited. The health perils we face in life can't always be protected by from our health, wellness and physical fitness pursuits. My best well wishes to you.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:21 PM

6,948 posts, read 3,919,976 times
We swim in an indoor pool 3Xwk all year. Also walk & exercise. We watch out diet carefully also. Lots of fish, organic vegies & fruit, & vitamins. A little grass fed beef. Rarely spend 1hr on the market, though I do manage our portfolio myself. We spend time with kids and grands every other weekend or so. I paint and play instruments and my husband still plays drums professionally every week. We're not rich but not poor either, and we're very happy!

Old 12-27-2015, 05:24 PM

22,130 posts, read 14,542,562 times
DH does our finance monitoring. Bless his heart for doing so. I appreciate it.

We try to make it to the community gym three times a week. We don't always succeed. But we always go back, even when we have backslided. I am looking forward to tomorrow's visit. I took a week off for Christmas, and in the meantime my sore leg got better. So I'm looking forward to a successful gym visit tomorrow.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:57 PM

2,246 posts, read 1,379,209 times
Sorry but I don't get why you are comparing exercise with financial monitoring.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:04 PM

13,571 posts, read 6,467,210 times
No. I love to listen to financial news. I only exercise for an hour. But I will do more activities now that I'm retired. Thank you for reminding retiree folks to get out and exercise more. I need it.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:14 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,044,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
Much is shared here about everyone's retirement planning journey and for those of you who have arrived, the smart things you're doing to make sure your retirement nest eggs don't run dry. I've learned much during my brief stay here and hope to learn more in the future. I can tell that many here have devoted and continue to devote quality time in protecting their financial health?

For example, if you spend one hour a day on average watching the market and seeing how your investments are doing, talking to others about it and/or even posting comments here about how to and not to do it, are you spending the same amount of time engaging in rigorous exercise to keep your cardiovascular conditioning, strength, etc. And do you spend daily time reading up about nutrition and living a healthy eating lifestyle (including quantity management) to avoid the perils of age-onset health conditions such as diabetes, high cholesterol, excessive bodyweight, etc.

I have a lazy gene in me that's for sure and I sit for a living so know I must be on guard against this lazy predisposition. So I exercise vigorously and regularly and spend time adding to my knowledge about health and wellness, nutrition and physical fitness; probably more so than the time I spend with my personal finances.

What about you?
Been doing health/diet/nutrition since my 20s, so I'm good there. My weak spot is exercise. I do well on the mini trampoline, as it is no impact on the legs/feet. Joined a gym but find it boring. I still go but not enough. I'm soon investing in high quality walking shoes and a pedometer. And one more new thing, a large desk calendar, paper, that I keep on my coffee table now that clearly outlines what I'm to do every day. I've filled in thru March. There is a line item for exercise.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:44 PM

4,409 posts, read 3,745,578 times
More time on the non financial side. I think if you are checking each day you are overdoing it and might make mistakes by responding to quickly to day to day events. Hopefully we are still long term investors.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:59 PM

1,888 posts, read 2,312,792 times
I start every day on a Schwinn Airdyne, then to the weight machine. Later in the day, I walk the dogs at a local 3000 acre park, in fact The wife and I have walked 80 miles so far this month. I don't smoke, never have and drink very little.

I do spend about 4-5 hours a day watching the financial news channels and reading numerous internet financial news sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or