U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2008, 02:21 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times

Advertisements

Still, those who ignore the info from the environment and say things like "There is no such thing as security" (as one zen-ish friend insisted while she spent every penny), I say, "Well, if you need new glasses or your teeth fixed, you might or might not have the few hundred bucks." (She didn't when crunch time came with health, etc.)
I think it's prudent to keep track of the environment and to always be aware of one's assumptions and change them as needed. If situations are so fluid, we need to be, too.
I do find I want to be more aware/prudent as I get older. Maybe it was the five months out of work with back injury that drove it home to me. Now it's the 55 birthday coming up that keeps me in line.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 08:06 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
I agree. I look around me and see most lower middle class people living much better than the middle class in the 50's abnd 60's. Just the number of people eating out so often is unbelievable. I think alot of the trouble is that people will often spend whatever they make and too often more than that.I was thinking the other day of the number of expenses I could elimainate altogether and still live better than my middle class parents and there was a bunch of things.Often times tihng s like no savings and then having a emergency or buying a huge house bring people to their knees IMO.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM

101 posts, read 297,580 times
Texdav = very true! Americans now are even living better than the kings did in their day. One thing is air conditioning. This invention makes it possible for Phoenix to grow in population.

We also have plenty amenities that royalty people in their day and even third world countries don't have nowadays. I believe we're indulging in good food, a/cs and excessively large houses that take up too much energy. We take it all for granted. We should all try and be more frugal!! We could save huge amounts of money, energy, and whatnot by being much less indulgent. Very few people are concerned about the environment, endangered animals and the majority of human beings in this planet who will never live off more than a dollar a day with a/c's...yet they still survive.

My point is, by cutting back even a little on things Americans take for granted, think of how much money we'd all save. Heck, gas prices might come down (wishful thinking I guess.......)

Old 03-06-2008, 08:20 PM

30,677 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
... A sound middle class is vital for a country's longevity.
That sounds nice.

It is a wishful thought.

However I am not so sure of it's accuracy.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM

4,948 posts, read 7,875,344 times
A lot of Americans are in bad financial shape because they can't differentiate between a "need" and a want.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:08 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,733,323 times
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The name is "CONVENIENCE". All of technology was made as a convenience to make what ever we were doing better.(with some exeption to Scientific Technology) But the inventors and idealist also knew that in generations to come, convenience would become a dependence, or become depended on.It also reduced value. And if you think about it, it all has a domino effect. one connects another.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 03-06-2008 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-07-2008, 03:46 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,435,288 times
I think Americans work too much and get little in revenue. Some of my American friends were puzzled when I told them you get a month of paid vacations in Europe, when they get 15 days at average. They have to struggle with the healthcare issue (which is quite astonishing, regarding the fact that most US citziens are for free healthcare and yet is going to take long before is implemented, if it will ever be). It's really sad to see people in retirement age still working. Ok, some will do it because they want to, but I guess you should enjoy life after several decades of hard working.

I think it has a lot to do with consumerism also. It seems that the main goal for the average Joe is to own that cool car or live in the part of town everyone dreams of. I believe people usually have a lifestyle they cannot afford, hence the debt.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I agree. I look around me and see most lower middle class people living much better than the middle class in the 50's abnd 60's. Just the number of people eating out so often is unbelievable. I think alot of the trouble is that people will often spend whatever they make and too often more than that.I was thinking the other day of the number of expenses I could elimainate altogether and still live better than my middle class parents and there was a bunch of things.Often times tihng s like no savings and then having a emergency or buying a huge house bring people to their knees IMO.
One of the problems is that we have so much MORE to buy now. When I was a kid, 5 of us lived in a tiny ranch house - now, they have these huge houses, and everybody has to have their own room, with a TV, computer, and sound system to boot! I guess that's because families are more independent from each other today, too. We all watched TV together, or listened to music together, the phone was in the kitchen for everyone - we only had one set of everything in the living room - no computers, of course, at that time. And, of course, my father never let us watch TV during dinner!

Now, people want a lot more SPACE in their homes, space from each other, I guess. We never thought about that in the olden days - we all lived in small houses, for the most part. I had this one friend who had a big house, and I thought it was really wild to have that much space. I was awed by it.

I don't have a family of my own, so who knows what I would have done if I had kids all wanting everything? Now, it seems they have to have a computer just to get by in school. And, having their own TV, phone, and stereo in their room?? Wow! I didn't even have a TV in college - just a radio, I think. We'd watch Star Trek in the dorm lounge.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,733,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
One of the problems is that we have so much MORE to buy now. When I was a kid, 5 of us lived in a tiny ranch house - now, they have these huge houses, and everybody has to have their own room, with a TV, computer, and sound system to boot! I guess that's because families are more independent from each other today, too. We all watched TV together, or listened to music together, the phone was in the kitchen for everyone - we only had one set of everything in the living room - no computers, of course, at that time. And, of course, my father never let us watch TV during dinner!

Now, people want a lot more SPACE in their homes, space from each other, I guess. We never thought about that in the olden days - we all lived in small houses, for the most part. I had this one friend who had a big house, and I thought it was really wild to have that much space. I was awed by it.

I don't have a family of my own, so who knows what I would have done if I had kids all wanting everything? Now, it seems they have to have a computer just to get by in school. And, having their own TV, phone, and stereo in their room?? Wow! I didn't even have a TV in college - just a radio, I think. We'd watch Star Trek in the dorm lounge.
I agree with you there. I was raised on a dairy farm in Michigan.It was a small farm,but we sold our milk to Kraft, did all our own work and even had a side job on weekends cutting trees for the Forestry and taking the logs to a paper mill.( Michigan is known to be a logging state) We canned our own food and I guess you could say that we pretty much lived off the land. Back then most of the families were bigger.There was 6 kids in our family. Now looking back, I don't recall us kids or any family for that matter complaining about "hard work".
Another thing is, everyone worked together and not against each other.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I think Americans work too much and get little in revenue. Some of my American friends were puzzled when I told them you get a month of paid vacations in Europe, when they get 15 days at average. They have to struggle with the healthcare issue (which is quite astonishing, regarding the fact that most US citziens are for free healthcare and yet is going to take long before is implemented, if it will ever be). It's really sad to see people in retirement age still working. Ok, some will do it because they want to, but I guess you should enjoy life after several decades of hard working.

I think it has a lot to do with consumerism also. It seems that the main goal for the average Joe is to own that cool car or live in the part of town everyone dreams of. I believe people usually have a lifestyle they cannot afford, hence the debt.
Actually I think that what you are seeing is that most;not all; americans love to accomplish things.I think tho that you are miising something with vacation time. Most people here that I know get more than 15 days pre year.My job gives according to years of service. I get 6 weeks a year but I don't take them at once.Most of all I think that we like to be thought of as a individaul and not part of some madding group of ants.I know that when I was in the service and everything was provided food ;medical ;housing etc ;I hated it as I felt like some domestic live stock and had no control. I loved getting back to civilian life with the increased control over my life and the freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or