U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2008, 01:41 PM

55,667 posts, read 74,637,859 times

Advertisements

its possible for singles to do it if they listen to dave ramsey radio show, austerity guru.
but for married people its much harder. price of good will goes up every month.
there appears to be no limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 11:18 AM

738 posts, read 644,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Does everything have to come down to politics? We were discussing spending habits. And just because Democrats don't believe in the quick-fix "trickle down economics" of corporate welfare and unrestricted free trade doesn't mean they're trying to redistribute wealth. Democrats are capitalists, too. Why can't you be grateful for what you have and not bemoan attempts to create opportunites for the under-privlidged victims of flawed economic policies? Take a break from Fox news.
I am extremely grateful for what I have. I've worked very hard for it. And I'd just as soon see it go to my kids or let me spend or give it away as I see fit, not have it taken away from me by some vote-pandering politician to be given to people who have chosen not to work as hard as I have or to pay attention in school so that they could get a better paying job.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
What I'm merely saying is that with everything going up, except wages since the 1970's (real wages have stagnated that long)
Sal, I understand your position, but if a person isn't making more in 2008 than they made in 1970's, it is simply their own fault. I learned at an early age that I didn't want to be a slave to the corporate world. I've always been self employed. I have also made a concerted effort to increase my knowledge over the years of my industry, investing, taxes, etc. resulting in more "luck".

Quote:
Blame the laws that favor the rich, for example - tax breaks that we would never see
Those tax breaks are available to anyone who wishes to avail themselves of them

Quote:
Outsourcing our jobs to other countries
Sal, those are not YOUR jobs - those jobs belong to the companies. And those companies have the right, and actually an obligation to shareholders, to give them to whoever can perform the work at the lowest wage

Quote:
Blame the corporate fat cats who make 400 times the average worker - THEIR wages go up by huge percentages every year, but not the average person's wages.
Sal, that's because they are far more educated than the "average" worker and probably work longer hours to boot.

Quote:
It is NOT always just an individual's fault.
Yes, it is. We control our decisions, how hard we wish to work, how much education we want, how we spend or invest our money, etc.

It is very easy to want to blame everyone else for our woes. But the opportunity for a better life is available to anyone who wants it. My own father was from a poor rural Alabama town, was the only member of his family to go to college, worked for a major corporation as a middle manager and faced the threat of layoffs during the 70's. Did he whine and blame everyone for his position in life? No! He got his real estate license and worked weekends to make ends meet. My mom also worked. They started investing in rental properties, land, timber, etc. on a middle managers salary while they put three kids through college. And he took advantage of all of those "tax breaks for the rich". Today he has a net worth well into the eight figures. So don't tell me it can't be done!

Old 03-08-2008, 07:43 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Lets face it;the amount you get paid equals how much you are valued for what you can do. The old high school educated person valued enough to earn a middle class wage are disappearing fast. We have heard this was coming for years.Yet people keep following their fathers into the factory after high school.Many think if they can just get the right political leader in they can bring back the good old days;ain't going to happen.In fact many of the jobs that use to pay lower wages have changed to require a better education and they have replaced the old middle class factory jobs; especially the ones that the employer provides the training.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Lets face it;the amount you get paid equals how much you are valued for what you can do. The old high school educated person valued enough to earn a middle class wage are disappearing fast. We have heard this was coming for years.Yet people keep following their fathers into the factory after high school.Many think if they can just get the right political leader in they can bring back the good old days;ain't going to happen.In fact many of the jobs that use to pay lower wages have changed to require a better education and they have replaced the old middle class factory jobs; especially the ones that the employer provides the training.
Amen and hallelujah! Now, pass the biscuits.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:08 AM

857 posts, read 4,473,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
I am extremely grateful for what I have. I've worked very hard for it. And I'd just as soon see it go to my kids or let me spend or give it away as I see fit, not have it taken away from me by some vote-pandering politician to be given to people who have chosen not to work as hard as I have or to pay attention in school so that they could get a better paying job.
It's nice to know there are still some people out there that feel this way. I get so tired of the gov't sticking its hand in my pocket because it needs my hard-earned money to give to someone who isn't willing to work as hard as I do for a living.
I started working when I was 15, and I haven't stopped since. I can't listen to the hard-luck stories of the people who feel like they can't get a break. If you can't find a way to make a good living in this country, then you just aren't trying hard enough!

Old 03-10-2008, 10:32 AM

1,861 posts, read 3,024,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthmeetsSouth View Post
It's nice to know there are still some people out there that feel this way. I get so tired of the gov't sticking its hand in my pocket because it needs my hard-earned money to give to someone who isn't willing to work as hard as I do for a living.
I started working when I was 15, and I haven't stopped since. I can't listen to the hard-luck stories of the people who feel like they can't get a break. If you can't find a way to make a good living in this country, then you just aren't trying hard enough!
What about those who go to college, get a Master's degree, become a social worker (which should be HIGHLY valued), and make **** money? Should they have become something else, like a stockbroker even if they didn't want to?

Sure, we can find ways to make a good living, but there are many fields that are undervalued by our society - doesn't mean the person didn't become educated and plan a career. Some highly-skilled jobs don't pay very much because we tend to value MONEY - sports figures, movie stars, money-makers like CEO's or stockbrokers, bankers, etc.

And, stagnant wages mean that our buying power has been decreasing since the 1970's. How can we say that doesn't affect our financial situations?

I just heard the other day that more and more people are going to food pantries because groceries are too expensive now. It's not because they are not working - but, wages have not kept up. Also, more and more people are using credit cards for food, gasoline, etc. Do you think people WANT to do that?

Some of you don't seem to see ANYTHING that might affect someone's situation. Why not? Why is it ALL their fault?

(and, I'm not talking about me, as we all have to keep saying because someone will say I'm "whining" - I'm fine - make a good salary, own a home)

Old 03-10-2008, 12:44 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Well you went into that field knowing the wages weren't that great. How did you plan for retirement at that point knowing your field was undervalued and pay wasn't that great ?

At some point people have to take responsibility for the decisons they made.
And then make adjustments based on those decisions.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,828,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well you went into that field knowing the wages weren't that great. How did you plan for retirement at that point knowing your field was undervalued and pay wasn't that great ?

At some point people have to take responsibility for the decisons they made.
And then make adjustments based on those decisions.
I have to agree. I was in the same boat--spent the first 15 years of my life as a journalist/activist/secretary. Then realized there are ways to use a degree and follow your passion... and still make money. I did a little research into the various ways to use my journalism background. Then I started a publishing company, specializing in editing scientific papers. It was a good way to make money 20 years ago (not sure I'd recommend it now, though--you need to do your own research on that). I also started investing in real estate. The point is there are ways to use your skills and also take good care of yourself.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,180,503 times
The ratio between the cost of living and people's salaries used to rise at a more equitable rate. After the mid 1970s that started to change & now the divide is much greater. So IOW as a whole the ratio of what people earn to the cost of living has changed for the worse. That means technically we earn less and things cost more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Sal, I understand your position, but if a person isn't making more in 2008 than they made in 1970's, it is simply their own fault. I learned at an early age that I didn't want to be a slave to the corporate world. I've always been self employed. I have also made a concerted effort to increase my knowledge over the years of my industry, investing, taxes, etc. resulting in more "luck".

Those tax breaks are available to anyone who wishes to avail themselves of them

Sal, those are not YOUR jobs - those jobs belong to the companies. And those companies have the right, and actually an obligation to shareholders, to give them to whoever can perform the work at the lowest wage

Sal, that's because they are far more educated than the "average" worker and probably work longer hours to boot.

Yes, it is. We control our decisions, how hard we wish to work, how much education we want, how we spend or invest our money, etc.

It is very easy to want to blame everyone else for our woes. But the opportunity for a better life is available to anyone who wants it. My own father was from a poor rural Alabama town, was the only member of his family to go to college, worked for a major corporation as a middle manager and faced the threat of layoffs during the 70's. Did he whine and blame everyone for his position in life? No! He got his real estate license and worked weekends to make ends meet. My mom also worked. They started investing in rental properties, land, timber, etc. on a middle managers salary while they put three kids through college. And he took advantage of all of those "tax breaks for the rich". Today he has a net worth well into the eight figures. So don't tell me it can't be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or