Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
People are in financial trouble for the same reason they were in the 1920's and 30's, they've become materialistic and have fallen into the credit trap, buying what they can't actually afford. People need to learn to live within their means and accept it.
Good point my North-bound friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I know families that have immigrated with nothing... really nothing... and 15 years later they are doing great and their children are prospering.

In the Medical Profession I see so many of our new Nurses coming from immigrant backgrounds... Many arrived in this country as children with parents that put a high value on education.

I've been privileged to attend some graduations and it is amazing to hear how the daughter (or son) is the first in the family with a college degree and it is very moving to hear a father or mother speak of how proud they are.

The interesting thing is almost all of the Nursing Staff has changed from caucasian to Asian and the Nurses are every bit as competent and caring.

I think the difference is that certain cultures, especially immigrants, place a very high value on success.

It is interesting that many of my white medical associates seem to have never ending turmoil and conflict with their children, with the biggest complaint being the kids just don't have a drive to succeed or the parents want their kids "To be Somebody"... and this is coming from Nurses working in the profession...

New Grad Nurses at SF General START at 100K...

I can tell you of several under 25 year olds that are married, bought homes they can afford and are planning on starting families that say life it good...

My point is that for some, even with very humble beginnings, the American Dream is still possible and the future looks bright.

No one can predict Health... but choosing a profession that is in High Demand does open a world of options...

Old 03-16-2008, 09:08 PM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
I saw a guy on MSNBC tonight who immigrated with his parents from India. He dropped out of high school - not because he was looking for society to pay his way. NO, he had sold his first internet company for $40 million. He sold his second company at age 21 for $300 million. There is tons of opportunity in this country - and this kid did it without a high school or college education or with wealthy parents to give him a head start!

Old 03-16-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I know families that have immigrated with nothing... really nothing... and 15 years later they are doing great and their children are prospering....
I think that the difference is that other folks came from poverty. True poverty, they had NOTHING.

Often that was the case with Americans in 1930.

I have had Asian immigrants as renters [I have some now], that work double shifts, they live on pennies, and they will become wealthy.

I had one tenant couple that both worked shift-work minimum-wage, one day they announced that they wanted to move and buy a restaurant. They had saved up the money, but they had difficulty with English, so I assisted them in dealing with building inspectors and such.

I have had another tenant couple that has two children, they rented from me and when the eldest started college, they also bought their own house. I am happy for them. Hard work is working for them. They are paying for their children to attend college [not the cheapest college available to them either], and they are prospering.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:49 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have had Asian immigrants as renters [I have some now], that work double shifts, they live on pennies, and they will become wealthy.
So true and that has been my experience with many immigrant families that I have come to know...

It is not unusual for everybody in the family to work outside the home... except for Mom or in some cases Grandma...

One young lady from Fiji was working 3 jobs for over 10 years... She was a hardware store cashier 5 days a week, had a second job as a night manager for a fast food restaurant and did bookkeeping for a construction company...

She is now 30, has a great job with a major hospital in accounts payable, a husband, two great kids, a home and two rental properties... she saved all her pennies...

She told me that none of this would have been possible if there wasn't opportunities here...

Old 03-17-2008, 06:40 AM

And we do live in the land of opportunity

Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
A good saleman is often one of teh highest paid employess in a comapny because they are wroth it and pretty rare. The guy on the production line can be replaced very easily compared to them. I was never a salesman but saw what differnec they make.If it was so easy tehyn more people would be fighting for the position.Performance based jobs are not popular for a reason; but those that are sucessful get high pay for a reason too.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:38 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
People are poor off financially because they are not very intelligent and don't listen to honest intelligent people. They fail to take the advice of those who try to help them and in many cases are anti rich and hate fat cats. They pass that mentality to their children and they live and spend for today. They blame others for their situation instead of building and working for their tomorrow. They buy homes with zero percent down and adjustable mortgages. Now they get reverse mortgages in their 60's or early 70's with variable interest rates. When interest rates return to normal levels and with housing once
the melt down stops returning to normal appreciation rates you will see seniors upside down with no equity for future needs. Economic prosperity requires one of the following:

Inheritance
Luck
Intelligence
Discipline
Future orientation
Lottery

Old 03-19-2008, 12:25 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanWest View Post

I graduated with a degree in English and work in the private sector as a copywriter...

... English majors don't. Deal with it.
I might offer that you should take another look at what you're doing.

I'm a freelance copywriter, and have an English degree. Before I went freelance, I was earning $80K. As a freelancer, I earn over a $100 K. And I'm not even working in a large market. Yet I work with clients all over, from Florida to California to Indiana and Connecticut. They all like my work and keep coming back.

Why? Because you can heave a brick up in the air and hit a decent graphic designer on the head. But a good copywriter is a rare bird indeed.

So if you're struggling, think about how you're marketing yourself. I bet you can really make more money without having to go back to school.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
People in the 50's did not live beyond their means on credit and pay a 25-28% premium because of opaying minimum payments. They also didn't buy stuff they didn't need like cellphones;cable TVand yes;a computer.They put savings above these things we buy now. So when I hear people say they can't save I am skeptical.Certainly people who buy things on credit cards and then pay the monthly minimum are pretty well set to crash one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement