U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 04:32 AM

188 posts, read 170,709 times

Advertisements

It occured to me many years ago that life can be like sitting on a log floating down a river. You can be content to go wherever the current takes you or you can find something to paddle with and have some say as to where you end up. I have been amazed at the number of people I have met over the years who's attitude was that whatever happens was meant to happen.
I do understand that even with a paddle you don't always end up where you want to be, but you have a much better chance. Of course the paddle I'm refering to is a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 05:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Good post and good point. Especially about divorce. I notice over at another forum (has something to do with early retirement) That most people posting are "couples" and have savings x 2 and 401K plans with employer matching, plus many are fortunate enough to have pensions as well. Seldom do you hear from a single divorced mother of three talking about their lovely retirement.
A very good education in a profitable field, a high salary + a lifetime partner earning one as well (optional but helpful), a circumstantial stability (few life upsets), investments starting at an early age, and pensions that include health insurance (plus 2 x SS) all add up to top retirement success. That is the top of the retirement pyramid, by no means representational of the entire retired population.

Those who are at the top may feel secure and self-congratulatory, and in so many ways they earned their position; however, most are in the middle and many at the lower levels of that structure. I would venture to say that most worked equally hard from the ground, without the amassing fortunes due to the above factors. The view from the top is lovely and insulated. CD tends to have a concentration of these retirees and therefore the top sounds like the norm. Not so.

Last edited by RiverBird; 09-18-2013 at 05:59 AM..

Old 09-18-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That tv program gives these millionaires a reality check. Yes, the poor people DO know how to budget their money, they DO know how to cook, they DO know how to save but there is nothing to save after they pay the rent. Instead of just bashing and gloating and feeling superior, they get to see how their employees actually have to live. THEN they usually feel sympathetic and will help pay for someone's surgery or gas for the guy who volunteers to drive the poor kids around to basketball practice, or they help someone to buy a car so they can get to work when they have arthritis and have to walk and take buses. With time and money on their hands you would think more retired people who are very rich would get a life and pitch in instead of sitting around looking down on people and making judgments.
I agree with what you say, above, except one note on this. I know people within my own family, quite wealthy, who would rather send a check to a "cause" outside our country than to lift a finger to help a child in poverty in our own. The thinking is that the child from another culture cannot help her poverty and thus deserves help more. Plus, it makes them feel good to reach out to another culture. Meanwhile, kids all over our country are hurting and hungry. I am not saying that poverty isn't poverty the world over and that anyone owes the people of their own country, but for those who contribute to causes elsewhere can well afford to contribute here as well. Two of the wealthiest members of my extended family make their living headhunting and laying off employees of large corporations ("downsizing"), and they have zero idea about the ramifications of how they make their living. They are most adversely vociferous about the working middle class and poor.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:58 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,777,271 times
whether one is in the top or bottom doesn't matter. city-data has forums and information for every level.

not everything applies to everyone but it certainly applies to someone and it is for those it applys to that many threads are geared for.

to say others shouldn't post what they do because you are not in that category is just silly.

folks have choices , they can skip what does not apply .

Old 09-18-2013, 06:00 AM

19,819 posts, read 19,910,927 times
There's a possibility that some of the disconnect on this forum is that it is serving two different categories of persons.
One is the already retired which is what I thought it is for.
The other is that set of people that come here and are thinking about/planning or retirement and some of them are relatively young.
For that second bunch the discussions about what they did, how and why they did it by those that profess to be both comfortable and more than comfortable are pertinent and may be seen as welcome and helpful.
It's always better to look to winners than to losers to find helpful examples.
Although I lean much closer to the 'have nots' and am well beyond the amassing stage, I've still picked up a few useful hints that it's not to late to incorporate.
Until and unless the forum gets split into a more exacting division maybe we'll just have to make the division ourselves by choosing what to read.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 AM

my own feeling as well. there is always something to learn .whether you want to is another story.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:25 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,191,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
Health also plays a factor. There are lots of married couples where one spouse gets very ill and cannot work and is living on disability and the other spouse has to care for him. They go through savings to cover medical expenses trying to keep the spouse alive. There are parents who have very ill children requiring special schooling, special medical care, things that are not covered by medical insurance.

Life throws curve balls at people and they have to deal with them as best as they are able.

The number of people I know that were "doing everything right" but had an injury or serious illness that destroyed them financially (often with good insurance) is STAGGERING. This has to be high on the list of things that destroy future plans and assets.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
whether one is in the top or bottom doesn't matter. city-data has forums and information for every level.

not everything applies to everyone but it certainly applies to someone and it is for those it applys to that many threads are geared for.

to say others shouldn't post what they do because you are not in that category is just silly.

folks have choices , they can skip what does not apply .
And that is why many skip the Frugality threads. I mean look at the title of this thread. What did we reasonably expect the discussion to involve? Someone mentioned the ER thread and the demographics there. Sure they are well off and that's why it is Early R.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There's a possibility that some of the disconnect on this forum is that it is serving two different categories of persons.
One is the already retired which is what I thought it is for.
The other is that set of people that come here and are thinking about/planning or retirement and some of them are relatively young.
For that second bunch the discussions about what they did, how and why they did it by those that profess to be both comfortable and more than comfortable are pertinent and may be seen as welcome and helpful.
It's always better to look to winners than to losers to find helpful examples.
Although I lean much closer to the 'have nots' and am well beyond the amassing stage, I've still picked up a few useful hints that it's not to late to incorporate.
Until and unless the forum gets split into a more exacting division maybe we'll just have to make the division ourselves by choosing what to read.
I choose not to view human beings as winners or losers. That is shallow and uncalled-for. And there is no need for an exacting division, just a need for one particular group to see the entire picture, not just theirs. We can and have always been able to choose what to read. That said, if too many posters (at either end of the well-off scale) get put on ignore, CD becomes an elite club, not a public forum.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The number of people I know that were "doing everything right" but had an injury or serious illness that destroyed them financially (often with good insurance) is STAGGERING. This has to be high on the list of things that destroy future plans and assets.
the unlucky acts of life are something you just cannot avoid. no planning can allow for some of them.

however that said, many folks just commit their own financial suicide by lack of knowledge and bad planning.

by the same token the retirement graveyard is full of failed retirements because folks didn't understand even the most basic aspects of constructing for spending down.

much of the info I post is geared to get those folks thinking for themselves before they fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or