Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 12:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

I doubt it's most, but I agree many are in bad financial shape...

I work with people that really never thought they would live to make it to retirement... they are children of the 50's and 60's and really live for the moment and don't look to the future. Some also believe the Government will come through for them.

Most of the well-off I know... and I'm not talking about very rich, have developed multiple income sources... i.e. pensions from various jobs, income from Real Estate and income from a business or businesses they have built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 PM

359 posts, read 779,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
OK folks, I've read these posts for about a year or so. Either it's the crowd that this forum attracts or somewhere along the path people didn't learn how to save for the future. So, what is it?

Did many of you never learn about planning for your future?

Was there just not enough income to save for the future?

Was it not important to save for the future?

Why is it that so many people facing retirement are so ill-prepared after 30-40years of working?

Bringing this back because I wanted to start a thread along this lines, but this already existed.

I am actually surprised by 3 things
1) The amt people allocate for their retirement
2) The amt people expect to retire with
3) The no. of people who display above 2 traits.

AMT saved:
I have been pushing a full $17k into my 401k plus an employer matched 6% every year. I am surprised by the number of people who don;t even put money aside into their 401k. I am actually startled by the number of people who have been working for 10 years but barely have contributed to their retirement savings.
Time is money.

Besides 401k, I have been increasing the my equity in the house, cars are paid off and zero credit cards debt. I am saving to establish other income sources. Very few people do that. I expect to have a paid off house before I hit 35.

AMT needed to retire:
People think they'll be taken care of by SS and medicare. They think they'll save eventually.
They want to enjoy life now. Well, guess what, Life is a constant challenge and unexpected directional changes define life. My target has been, that when I retire, I make at least $15k/month from investments besides the SS / medicare / 401k.

That means 20 yrs from now, when I have retired, I should have a 15k a month income, which I should be able to spend on travel / charity / needy folks / kids / vacations etc.

I am just surprised as to how many people disregards the essential virtue of saving now and adapting the lifestyle for the good later.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,810,853 times
Not everyone has the income or luck to be able to save . Incomes have not really grown in decades while expenses for things have escalated big time.

You can only cut expenses just so far.

Throw in the fact markets have not grown much since 2000 and you have a whole lot less dough to save if any.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM

359 posts, read 779,696 times
Yes, not everyone has the income or the luck to save.

but throw in 10-15 years, and now the right financial direction coupled with the power of compound interest you're looking at a size-able amt to save.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 PM

the truth is even with compounding you are looking at a whole lot less than most folks predict from their limited knowledge . . it isn't as much as you think in real return dollars once alot of the paramters are figured in that most folks leave out of their projections..

i agree with dr wade pfau , i don't think he is off by much if at all.

Retirement Researcher Blog: Compound Interest and Wealth Accumulation: It's Not As Easy as You Think

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-04-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 03:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
OK folks, I've read these posts for about a year or so. Either it's the crowd that this forum attracts or somewhere along the path people didn't learn how to save for the future. So, what is it?

Did many of you never learn about planning for your future?

Was there just not enough income to save for the future?

Was it not important to save for the future?

Why is it that so many people facing retirement are so ill-prepared after 30-40years of working?
I've never found this forum to be much different than stats show for retirees in general.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the truth is even with compounding you are looking at a whole lot less than most folks predict from their limited knowledge . . it isn't as much as you think in real return dollars once alot of the paramters are figured in that most folks leave out of their projections..

i agree with dr wade pfau , i don't think he is off by much if at all.

Retirement Researcher Blog: Compound Interest and Wealth Accumulation: It's Not As Easy as You Think
Interesting article, has he written any books?

My strategy is more laddered for WR – 2% over as long as I can sustain it, hopefully 10 years, then 3% for another 5 - 10, then ending with 4% or life on the sidewalk. I would never withdraw a flat rate starting at the beginning just because someone suggests a %. There's just too many variables between retirees.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM

Dr pfau is one of the most respected financial researchers today. His white papers dominate the journal of financial planning setting the stage for financial thinking through out the industry.

That journal is like the american journal of medicine is to the medical community.

It is scarey the amount of influence that dr pfau and michael kitces's research has on the industry causing changes in thinking by the professional financial community on things that have been believed to be true for decades.

You can google him to see his studies.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-04-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-04-2013, 05:40 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
The people I know that are in the worse shape are those that think that somebody else is responsible to take care of them in their retirement years. They are the entitled group that have never taken personal responsibility for anything. They live for today and don't worry about tomorrow because that's the government's job.

I think Detroit would be a good retirement spot for these people.

I fully understand that there are those that are in bad shape due to no fault of their own - life circumstances beyond their control.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:03 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
I personally feel the reason more people don't save more is because the numbers tossed around for adequate retirement savings(magic number) are way out of whack, and people feel that magic number unattainable, so why try. I just heard some guy saying that he couldn't see retiring without 5 million.... how do you get that when you're bringing home 50K -- it's just not doable.

So I stopped listening to those talking heads jabber jabber. and figured it out on my own. I very well could be wrong, but my projections of the neighborhood of one million should tide us over nicely. Mainly because I'm not afraid to let 1/3 of my money sit in long term more volatile investments. My goal is to not touch any of that 1/3 until about 20 years into retirement.

It's hard to not listen because all those talking heads are the ones people talk about and believe, and if you say -- don't listen to Suze Orman, or Dave Ramsay or whoever the latest talking head is, they really don't know much and say the dumbest things and also act like their advice is carved in stone, when financially NOTHING is carved into stone -- it's easy to NOT trust yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement