U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 04:45 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times

Advertisements

Bada Bing!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:33 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,344,141 times
I think it's a period of adjustment...

Very good friend retired and it put a strain the first few months... she was the homemaker and he the breadwinner...

Took him about a month to clear all the honey do things for which she was grateful... then he started doing her housework and/or said she was not doing it right after 40 years of marriage.

With 4 married daughters he asked if anyone needed help... one needed a sitter for 5 hours twice a week and another was looking for someone to mow... and in no time he had a schedule and some very grateful kids...

They were able to make adjustments and move forward...

Old 12-29-2015, 07:16 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,732,659 times
I am glad for this thread. It is good to know that not all marriages are about doing things together all the time. People have different need for space and for company. We both need space but when one gets lonely we just walk in and start a conversation, plan a trip, about some project, or politics.
I am more active with outside activities than DH but he is happy with his PC, chatting on the phone with friends, stuff around the house, make needed phone calls, shopping for tires for my car - all from his man cave which actually is well fit. I cook he cleans. He washes, I fold. Then we go do our own stuff. We both read, I books, he magazines. We travel, but those times don't always go well.
And so it goes.
Maybe the OP should just relax a bit and find connections. First stop being so tired and angry. That will most surely make you feel old.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM

20,068 posts, read 14,449,841 times
I can't help ya. I can never get enough of my wife.

Old 12-30-2015, 05:49 AM

4,489 posts, read 4,749,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
According to your thread of less than a week ago on the Relationship forum, regarding separate bedrooms and the man cave, your marriage has just "improved 100%". So now a week later you "get on each others nerves and see too much of each other". Maybe you need a whole separate house. If I were your wife I certainly wouldn't ant to spend time with someone who is "old tired and angry".
Thanks for pointing this out. And where is the OP if this is so important??

Old 12-30-2015, 07:14 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,233,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. And where is the OP if this is so important??
Filling out another profile so he can create a new batch of posts under a new username

Old 12-30-2015, 07:56 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,655,835 times
My wife is still working a full-time job at 67, but I take care of most of the home (apartment) duties while she is at work........like laundry/separating clothes, loading/running/unloading dishwasher, stripping the bed/putting on clean sheets, vacuuming, dusting, cooking and cleaning the floors. I miss her when she's at work, so look very forward to weekends when she's at home.

"Man Cave" or whatever they call it......not for me! My wife loves NFL (and knows the sport), has her own firearms and goes with me to the Range, likes fishing and cruising around in our '92 Celebrity Cuddy Cabin and we love watching movies. With a wife like that, who need buddies (lol).

Unless one of us are sick, where one of us goes, the other goes to. We have our little "spats" at times, but a "I'm sorry" w/a hug and quick smooch ends the spat. Been married 15 years next March and love the times we spend together. Very, very compatible!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:58 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,069,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife is still working a full-time job at 67, but I take care of most of the home (apartment) duties while she is at work........like laundry/separating clothes, loading/running/unloading dishwasher, stripping the bed/putting on clean sheets, vacuuming, dusting, cooking and cleaning the floors. I miss her when she's at work, so look very forward to weekends when she's at home.

"Man Cave" or whatever they call it......not for me! My wife loves NFL (and knows the sport), has her own firearms and goes with me to the Range, likes fishing and cruising around in our '92 Celebrity Cuddy Cabin and we love watching movies. With a wife like that, who need buddies (lol).

Unless one of us are sick, where one of us goes, the other goes to. We have our little "spats" at times, but a "I'm sorry" w/a hug and quick smooch ends the spat. Been married 15 years next March and love the times we spend together. Very, very compatible!
Y'all are very lucky!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:52 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,853,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

That sounds awesome. Oh and congrats on the 15 years. It took me 16 years to train my wife. Now she is fully trained and obedient (LOL). Yeah right and if you believe that I have the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you. Still 35 years and counting is nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, a 1992 Celebrity Cuddy Cabbin? Hmmmm how big? I am very much interested in getting a Cuddy. I am thinking new but.... I have never owned a boat bigger than a 12 foot row boat. In retirement I want to run about the lake in a nice boat. So I have been looking at them.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:16 PM

7,340 posts, read 16,655,835 times
It's a Celebrity 200 (20 footer) w/a nice Mercruiser 5.7L I/O on a nice dual-wheel trailer. Had it since March '09. Have had to put on new manifolds and risers, new lower block/belts, alternator and installed Dual-Battery Switch for Starting and Deep Cell batteries. This Spring will get the deck replaced due to a few soft spots. Cuddy Cabin is a little too small for both of us to sleep in. Have never taken it out overnight and don't intend to. But, once "up on plane", it sure can go!

Our last boat was a 1989 16' Invader Bowrider w/a Volvo-Penta 4 cyclinder. Got that after we moved to Denver, CO./south metro. Done quite a bit of trout fishing in the No Wake area of a popular lake/reservoir south of Denver. Also, "beached" it a few times and relaxed on the lake beach.

Wife's mom/dad had a cottage on Zukey Lake in Michigan, when she was in high school. Got her boating experience from there.
My Uncle had a Bowrider in northeastern Indiana when I was a teen and I use to go out with him on local lake. Plus, spent some years in the U.S. Navy, on the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
That sounds awesome. Oh and congrats on the 15 years. It took me 16 years to train my wife. Now she is fully trained and obedient (LOL). Yeah right and if you believe that I have the deed to the Brooklyn Bridge to sell you. Still 35 years and counting is nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, a 1992 Celebrity Cuddy Cabbin? Hmmmm how big? I am very much interested in getting a Cuddy. I am thinking new but.... I have never owned a boat bigger than a 12 foot row boat. In retirement I want to run about the lake in a nice boat. So I have been looking at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or