U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We live in Texas and leave for a month or more every summer to escape the heat. Our favored locales are Northern NM and NW AR, two destinations that would bore many people and seem unseasonably warm to New Englanders. But they work for us.
In addition to escaping the heat, another goal is to avoid hordes of families with school-age children. That eliminates most beaches and many national parks.
I've done San Miguel de Allende MX in July a few times in the past but DH's not one for traveling outside the US.
I can't imagine going from terrible unbearable heat to unbearable heat. There must be other reasons you go to these places, like scenic beauty. Do you rent a place, or travel around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
We are attending a briefing by a new small tour group business, next week. I might not be able to take extended trips, but some 2-3 days is possible. My roommate starts his cancer treatment next week, so don't know how often I can get away.
I love the idea of small group tours. How small, and to where? And out of where?

Old 12-30-2015, 07:05 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
I love the idea of small group tours. How small, and to where? And out of where?
Right now she has Costa Rica, New York and I think Ireland on the itinerary. And other smaller coach tours to the surrounding areas of San Antonio Tx.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:06 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Quote:
I can't imagine going from terrible unbearable heat to unbearable heat. There must be other reasons you go to these places, like scenic beauty. Do you rent a place, or travel around?
The lack of humidity in N. Mexico might make it more tolerable. Don't know about Arkansas.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:08 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,843,254 times
Just a point here. I am surprised others have not mentioned this but...... If you are retired, you're not allowed to take vacations. You can go on as many trips as you want but vacations are reserved for those of us that are still working.

I will be joining you soon. 85 days and counting. My first trip not part of a vacation is going to be in April. Woo hoo!!!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Just a point here. I am surprised others have not mentioned this but...... If you are retired, you're not allowed to take vacations. You can go on as many trips as you want but vacations are reserved for those of us that are still working.

I will be joining you soon. 85 days and counting. My first trip not part of a vacation is going to be in April. Woo hoo!!!
Hey leisure at home is a lot of stress! Gotta take some vacations from that!

Old 12-30-2015, 08:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Didn't that sound interesting. I had to look up birding tours and found one here in Texas. They start out in San Antonio and head out west.

But darn, looks like a lot of hiking. Im in decent shape, but I would just go for the ride and wait for the hikers back at the hotel!

There are several birding sites sponsored by the Audabon Society in the Rio Grande Valley in Southern Texas. Also, if you can get to SW Texas January - April, there are Road Scholar trips to Big Bend National Park. Do NOT try either trip during the summer months as the heat is pretty extreme.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:56 AM

4,653 posts, read 3,237,575 times
Quote:
Starting to think about next summer 2016 and where to go, what to do. Just got notice of an affordable group trip to Italy but it's in July and it's too hot there at that time. I'm bored with the summer cottage at the ocean idea. I'd like to travel...maybe June or August when it's less hot. Anyone planning their summer already? Are you doing something different than usual?

Hi there, it is not hard to imagine thinking of what to do next summer. So many places to see, so much to do.

I have a friend who has visited Ireland a few times and has always loved her time there. At one time she owned a nursery in northern NY and has traveled to Ireland to work on a nursery/farm. I don't know how she goes (alone/with group?), but she recently posted a picture on Facebook with a link (I can't transfer that here, but if you are interested you can find it on Google, I think). The ten best places to visit in Ireland. From the pictures that go with the article, it is a beautiful area.

I don't know if your plans would include a trip such as this, but if you are interested and want more information, please let me know and I will contact her.

Happy New Year!

Old 12-30-2015, 09:59 AM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
One of my favorite summer experiences was a three-week French immersion in Quebec, through Road Scholar. Check out Road Scholar's website (Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy) -- they have a wonderfully varied list of offerings both domestic and international.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:54 AM

1,656 posts, read 1,521,661 times
My goal is to retire in a place with nice summer weather i.e., mountain community. Then vacation in the spring, fall, or winter when the kids are in school and it is less crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement