U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 11:21 AM

6,313 posts, read 5,055,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are several birding sites sponsored by the Audabon Society in the Rio Grande Valley in Southern Texas. Also, if you can get to SW Texas January - April, there are Road Scholar trips to Big Bend National Park. Do NOT try either trip during the summer months as the heat is pretty extreme.
That is interesting. I do live in south Texas, so the heat here is nothing to me. I also lived in Laredo for several years. I had never heard of these tours.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 12:35 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Starting to think about next summer 2016 and where to go, what to do. Just got notice of an affordable group trip to Italy but it's in July and it's too hot there at that time. I'm bored with the summer cottage at the ocean idea. I'd like to travel...maybe June or August when it's less hot.
We were in Italy (Milan, Florence and Rome) in July few years back. I don't remember the weather being any hotter or more uncomfortable than NY weather in the summer.

June is probably will be cooler but certainly not August. It also depends on what part of Italy that you plan to travel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Italy

Quote:
Summer temperatures are often similar north to south. July temperatures are 22–24 C (71.6–75.2 F) north of river Po, like in Milan or Venice, and south of river Po can reach 24–25 C (75.2–77.0 F) like in Bologna, with fewer thunderstorms; on the coasts of Central and Southern Italy, and in the near plains, mean temperatures goes from 23 C to 27 C (80.6 F). Generally, the hottest month is August in the south and July in the north; during these months the thermometer can reach 38–42 C (100.4–107.6 F) in the south and 32–35 C (89.6–95.0 F) in the north
We plan to go to Iceland in 2016 during the shoulder seasons (May or September) to avoid crowded tourists. I had originally planned to go on our own so that we can also make arrangements for some 'self-flying' aerial tour. The discussion here led me to check out roadscholar tours and this one looks quite interesting. We will do a bit more research to decide whether we want to join a group.

Education Travel | Educational Tour to Iceland | The Best of Iceland: A Country of Beautiful Contrasts

Quote:
Summary

Named by a Scandinavian explorer inspired by the beauty of icebergs bobbing through a fjord, Iceland is in fact not very icy at all, boasting abundant vegetation, a veritable menagerie of wildlife and stunning geological features. Journey through Iceland’s north, south and west with native experts who introduce you to their country’s history, music, food and traditions. Learn about the Sagas of Icelanders and explore a dramatic landscape, from the coast to the Blue Lagoon.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
One of my favorite summer experiences was a three-week French immersion in Quebec, through Road Scholar. Check out Road Scholar's website (Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy) -- they have a wonderfully varied list of offerings both domestic and international.
Road Scholar trips seem pretty rigorous physically, hiking and biking etc. They look like they're geared to really active seniors. Any trips in the slow lane?

Old 12-30-2015, 02:14 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Quote:
Starting to think about next summer 2016 and where to go, what to do. Just got notice of an affordable group trip to Italy but it's in July and it's too hot there at that time. I'm bored with the summer cottage at the ocean idea. I'd like to travel...maybe June or August when it's less hot. Anyone planning their summer already? Are you doing something different than usual?
We prefer traveling in May and October. We usually take one trip around Mother's Day and another one the last of September to the first 15 days of October.

We will probably change these dates this year because we are dealing with RI and from the Black Hills to points West of there.

Right now we are trying to get all doctor's visits out of the way so we are good for going where we want to go for about six months.

We travel mostly in timeshares. www.extraholidays.com We go to the www.rci.com for last calls vacations for really cheap. The first website I furnished is for anybody to use. You have to be a member to do RCI.

Last edited by NCN; 12-30-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-30-2015, 06:10 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,083,836 times
We do a couple to three week long car trips from our western NC mtn home to see our kids in NJ, every Summer through Autumn, and every other summer we take a long to very long car road trip around the US, to see sights, stuff, friends...

This coming Summer, we have just finished booking a two week trip to Iceland for late August. It was a 'place we wanted to get to/see', and we wanted to do it while still in good health.

We could have done the 'tours and bus ride' deal, but we have always done the 'car rental and go see stuff on our own' in all of our trips outside the US. It is probably a more expensive method, and it takes considerable planning, reading sites/blogs, reviews, GOOG Maps, nailing down hotels, etc, but we are excited about the trip.

We like to do slightly non-ordinary stuff, we takes lots of pics, and enjoy wandering around a country or location, so Iceland seemed to fit our desire for a 'real' get away vacay. Have been to Antarctica, nearly every island in the Caribbean, and we both used to travel domestically and overseas frequently for work, but never got to Iceland. So we are going...
GL, mD

Old 12-30-2015, 06:39 PM
ptt

413 posts, read 432,887 times
Went to Myanmar last summer, the most magical country on earth. Its like time stood still for 50 years or even 100 years compare to the west.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:43 PM

1,986 posts, read 2,636,397 times
Quote:
Road Scholar trips seem pretty rigorous physically, hiking and biking etc. They look like they're geared to really active seniors. Any trips in the slow lane?
Many trips in the slow lane. You have to look at the offerings on the website. Next to each one is a symbol that indicates how active that particular trip is. Every Road Scholar trip I've taken has included among the participants some people with walking difficulties, e.g., using a cane. I don't go for the very active trips.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:26 PM

996 posts, read 863,228 times
Thumbs up Road Scholar Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
One of my favorite summer experiences was a three-week French immersion in Quebec, through Road Scholar. Check out Road Scholar's website (Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy) -- they have a wonderfully varied list of offerings both domestic and international.
Excellent suggestion! I have done nearly a dozen Road Scholar programs over the past 10 years, and enjoyed every one. I've gone with my sister or with my husband, or by myself. It was a wonderful experience every time.

In the past, when the program was known as Elderhostel, accommodations and meals for U.S. programs were pretty downscale. That has changed in recent years; nicer hotels and better food. Still pretty reasonably priced, and you really do get to know a place in a way that's not possible as a regular tourist.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:55 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times
I had just booked our flights for a 16-days trip to England, Scotland and Ireland in May.

We had planned to go to Iceland this year but last week, I got an email from Delta about their European Award Travel Deal good for travelling between March 4 and May 31, 2016 starting at only 42,000 miles. Since travelling to Iceland was not included in this sale, we decided to go England, Scotland and Ireland instead.

It's interesting to see the significant differences in airport taxes/fees between airports in England and Ireland. Originally, we planned to fly to Ireland then fly back to NY from England. The taxes/fees were close to $200 per person. We then decided to switch the plan around to fly to England first then fly from Shannon back to the US mainly to avoid the expected longer security queue at Heathrow on departure. It was a pleasant surprise to see the airport taxes/fees dropped to only $47.

We have about 9 weeks to plan for the trip. The rough plan is to spend about 5 or 6 nights in England, 3 or 4 nights in Scotland and 5 or 6 nights in Ireland. There are so many things to see and do in 3 countries but we will try to take it easy and make it a fun and relaxing trip.

I'd love to get recommendations and suggestions from other retirees who had visited these countries recently especially with tips on scenic places, BnB lodging and transportation logistics.

Thank you in advance.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,569 posts, read 39,952,759 times
Late summer is really crowded time to be in Europe. Those are the few months I stay home in PNW. Alaska / mtns of Canada are other options for late summer.

IF I live long enough to get a senior pass to National Parks, it will be a year or two tour. I have been to most since I have been buying annual passes for 42 yrs, and always lived closeby a few NPs. Just haven't had enough time to spend. We did many 12 week NP field trips while home schooling, but it seemed rushed and a bit too 'educational'

Currently on a one year RTW which has been nice and educational. We try to stay with local folks to get a better learning of the area and cultures. These stays have been great, but.... Camping offers extrodinary views every morning and night. We just did a month of campervan travel on south island of NZ. Views and campgrounds were incredible. Gotta love 5am - 10 pm sun in feb! Gardens were very exceptional.

When we discover our favorite places to return, we will buy a campervan to keep there. Our Class C will fit into a cargo container, friends sent their campervan to Europe 5 yrs ago, it is still there. They fly back and forth from Canada.

We do a lot of fly/drive, and if we were in USA, we would be all over the $15 Frontier flights that i've benn getting emails about.

Nice to retire and travel, we have no schedule and often stay on farms and help out for a few days. (Currently doing a remodel for a school... Free room and board and students are from all over the world. We will keep in touch, and several will eventually venture to our USA home for a long holiday. Been hosting international travelors for near 30 yrs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement