U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 12:59 AM

953 posts, read 1,442,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We live in Texas and leave for a month or more every summer to escape the heat. Our favored locales are Northern NM and NW AR, two destinations that would bore many people and seem unseasonably warm to New Englanders. But they work for us.
In addition to escaping the heat, another goal is to avoid hordes of families with school-age children. That eliminates most beaches and many national parks.
I've done San Miguel de Allende MX in July a few times in the past but DH's not one for traveling outside the US.

We also live in Texas and like to get away in the summer for the same reason. Our favorite place has become Ruidoso, NM. We take my 85 year old mom who absolutely loves it! And the drive isn't so far that she gets too tired. The cabins are so nice and it really is a relaxing time for our family. This year our plan is to go the week of July 4th.

I have thought about NW AR, like you mention, but my suggestion was vetoed. Oh well, maybe one of these days. I'd also like to try Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains, but that is quite a drive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 04:20 PM

13 posts, read 8,692 times
My wife and I are planning a Europe trip this summer. It will be her first time there which is very exciting. Currently trying to decide which countries to visit. What are some of your favorite European cities? We would like to see some of the less touristy ones. Would love to hear some suggestions!

Old 03-09-2016, 02:45 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCraig44 View Post
My wife and I are planning a Europe trip this summer. It will be her first time there which is very exciting. Currently trying to decide which countries to visit. What are some of your favorite European cities? We would like to see some of the less touristy ones. Would love to hear some suggestions!
First off - as I and others have mentioned - skip the summer. Especially if you're retired and are free to travel whenever you want. Aim for shoulder season (usually fall and spring in most places). If you don't mind winter weather (I happen to hate it) - winter is also an option (low season and things can be a lot less crowded).

Tourism is one of the largest industries in the world just about everywhere. So you're going to find tourists just about anyplace that's worth going to. I can think of some large more industrial cities - like Hamburg - that are interesting and probably have many fewer tourists than places on the more beaten path - but I suspect many tourists wouldn't find them all that interesting (although we enjoyed Hamburg passing through one year on a Norway/Denmark/Germany trip).*

FWIW - here is a recent article that might make you rethink your ideas about "touristy" and "tourist traps":

What Is A Tourist Trap? And Is It A Bad Thing? - One Mile at a Time

Do you like cities or the countryside? Or a mix? Will you be willing to rent a car and drive? What parts of Europe have you been to before (and when)? And which did you like the best? Do you speak any languages other than English? What do you like to do when you travel (for example - fine dining is important to me and my husband - but a lot of people don't give a hoot about that)? What kind of budget are you looking at? Robyn

*Hamburg had at least one world class museum and it was the only time I've ever seen a "hard core" sex show (it was a musical comedy - with lots of naked women and men who were only dressed in condoms ). I had to do something like this at least once in my pretty staid life .

Old 03-09-2016, 03:19 PM

703 posts, read 795,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
All of this talk about trips to Europe has me wondering if I stumbled into a chat room for multimillionaires.

We had thought about an Italy trip this summer until we checked the airfares. From Phoenix, fares are in the $1500 per person range. That's about $3000 just to get there and back. And that's riding in the coach cattle car. Don't get me started on Business Class. Then you have to add in all of the other trip costs...hotels, food, getting aronud, miscellaneous other expenses.

How do you guys go to Europe so often with the high air fares? You would think with the oil prices crashing this year that air fares would drop accordingly. Guess not...
There are some FANTASTIC transatlantic cruise prices right now. We leave on one next month, Ft. Lauderdale to Rome. The one way flight home through cruise line air is very, very, reasonable. Alot of these transatlantic cruises leave within the next 30-40 days. Check it out! We are sailing on Celebrity, but, there are great rates on other cruise lines too. I hope this helps.

Marie

Old 03-09-2016, 07:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
. ! We are sailing on Celebrity
. Celebrity is great, wish they were hosting my Dubai / Suez / Venice relocation (under $ 65 / day, which is HUGE for my RTW budget), but the Persian Gulf / Red Sea locale is not friendly for backpackers at the moment.

SW Europe, Holland, Portugal, then Ireland & Scotland before summer.

Currently 80F and sunny... 11,000 miles from home ( where the 10-day forecast shows 9 days of rain).

Old 03-10-2016, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
. Celebrity is great, wish they were hosting my Dubai / Suez / Venice relocation (under $ 65 / day, which is HUGE for my RTW budget), but the Persian Gulf / Red Sea locale is not friendly for backpackers at the moment.

SW Europe, Holland, Portugal, then Ireland & Scotland before summer.

Currently 80F and sunny... 11,000 miles from home ( where the 10-day forecast shows 9 days of rain).
We love Celebrity. It is currently our cruise line of choice. We have also cruised on Carnival, RCI, HAL, and Princess. We are on a very tight budget, and got a fantastic deal(13 nights, $600 pp including taxes) on this cruise. Our ds and dil are working in Munich so we will fly from Rome to Munich for a week. I wish we had longer in Europe, but, we need to get home. The transatlantic cruises are a wonderful way to go back and forth. I got a great rate before final payment, but, next time I will wait until after final payment. The deals have been incredible this Spring. Europe is not selling.

Old 03-10-2016, 02:33 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
I think it would be dreadful and terrible to be trapped on a 13 night boat trip across the Atlantic, but I'm glad you enjoy it!

Old 03-10-2016, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think it would be dreadful and terrible to be trapped on a 13 night boat trip across the Atlantic, but I'm glad you enjoy it!
We have a few port stops starting at day 7. There is plenty to do. This is not my first TA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement