U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,001,270 times

Advertisements

Starting to think about next summer 2016 and where to go, what to do. Just got notice of an affordable group trip to Italy but it's in July and it's too hot there at that time. I'm bored with the summer cottage at the ocean idea. I'd like to travel...maybe June or August when it's less hot. Anyone planning their summer already? Are you doing something different than usual?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 04:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 24,025,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Starting to think about next summer 2016 and where to go, what to do. Just got notice of an affordable group trip to Italy but it's in July and it's too hot there at that time. I'm bored with the summer cottage at the ocean idea. I'd like to travel...maybe June or August when it's less hot. Anyone planning their summer already? Are you doing something different than usual?

Last year, we had to travel to the Midwest for a wedding.

This year, we are investigating a month in the mountains in Logan, UT. Utah State University sponsors a summer long program for seniors looking to escape from Arizona and other hot climates.

Summer Citizens

I attended a program that USU had in our community and found it to be interesting.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:15 PM

6,845 posts, read 3,884,515 times
Summer is a great time to travel in England and Scotland IMO. We plan to do Ireland and Cornwall in 2016 and expect similar weather.

We were in Italy and Greece in early May one year and it was already quite hot.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM

13,307 posts, read 6,369,679 times
I'm planning six months on another continent. Flights have been booked. The specific destinations have not been finalized.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-29-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 06:07 PM

19,894 posts, read 18,907,505 times
I hope to have moved to Virginia by summer so who knows? It will be awfully hot so maybe we'll be planning a trip back north or another trip to England. Airfares across the Atlantic are supposedly going down.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:10 PM

6,337 posts, read 5,075,997 times
We are attending a briefing by a new small tour group business, next week. I might not be able to take extended trips, but some 2-3 days is possible. My roommate starts his cancer treatment next week, so don't know how often I can get away.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:21 PM

3,145 posts, read 1,735,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
Not summer but I have signed for a birding trip to Costa Rica in March. I am going alone as DH has no interest in birding for two weeks. I am excited about the trip and nervous about going alone. It is a guided tour and I have been with the company before so I should be alright.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:54 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,079,355 times
We live in Texas and leave for a month or more every summer to escape the heat. Our favored locales are Northern NM and NW AR, two destinations that would bore many people and seem unseasonably warm to New Englanders. But they work for us.
In addition to escaping the heat, another goal is to avoid hordes of families with school-age children. That eliminates most beaches and many national parks.
I've done San Miguel de Allende MX in July a few times in the past but DH's not one for traveling outside the US.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM

4,689 posts, read 3,258,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Not summer but I have signed for a birding trip to Costa Rica in March. I am going alone as DH has no interest in birding for two weeks. I am excited about the trip and nervous about going alone. It is a guided tour and I have been with the company before so I should be alright.

That sounds like a wonderful time. I love birds, too. However, I've done done much to learn more or see more. I just joined on-line my county Audubon society and need to look at it more closely to see what is available for me this year.

I get beautiful pictures of all kinds of birds on my Facebook. So overwhelming to think there is such beauty of colors in this world.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:53 PM

6,337 posts, read 5,075,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
That sounds like a wonderful time. I love birds, too. However, I've done done much to learn more or see more. I just joined on-line my county Audubon society and need to look at it more closely to see what is available for me this year.

I get beautiful pictures of all kinds of birds on my Facebook. So overwhelming to think there is such beauty of colors in this world.
Didn't that sound interesting. I had to look up birding tours and found one here in Texas. They start out in San Antonio and head out west.

But darn, looks like a lot of hiking. Im in decent shape, but I would just go for the ride and wait for the hikers back at the hotel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement