U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-02-2016, 05:18 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,083,092 times
Reputation: 8970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why are you asking anonymous posters in a forum how to fix your life? It is your life to have and to hold and to live broken or under repair. You went to college and studied law so you are smart enough to problem solve how to improve your future. The folks people feel sorry for and want to help are those who are physically and mentally disabled and you are neither are you?

I was referring to the homeless, duh. Not all of the homeless are substance abusers or mentally ill, some have simply been priced out of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2016, 05:21 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,083,092 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Why are you asking anonymous posters in a forum how to fix your life? It is your life to have and to hold and to live broken or under repair. You went to college and studied law so you are smart enough to problem solve how to improve your future. The folks people feel sorry for and want to help are those who are physically and mentally disabled and you are neither are you?

MJ says I have committed financial suicide and thus can no longer improve my future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,634 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Reputation: 27701
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
MJ says I have committed financial suicide and thus can no longer improve my future.
Try doing a little better - just a bit day by day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,083,092 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
from what we know of him , yep , he is

Disabled by financial suicide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 05:42 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,278 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Reputation: 9903
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Meant by whom? Employers hire the best applicant for a job, burger flipper jobs are not reserved for teenagers. Similarly, applicants take the best jobs they can get. Should adults reject fast food jobs as "meant for teenagers" or somehow beneath them?
Short answer yes. Adults took jobs that are meant for teenagers, they shouldn't be complaining. If it's temporary, then it's another story, but these jobs are not for life. Teenagers get to live at home, so they can afford to take these jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 06:02 PM
 
Location: SoCal
13,278 posts, read 6,356,923 times
Reputation: 9903
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You expect the low-income frugal to save as much as the middle-income wastrels?
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p571/ch10.html

Not only that if you are low income, the government will give you money to save. It's called savers credit, up to $30k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Chesapeake Bay
6,048 posts, read 3,876,223 times
Reputation: 3502
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
MJ says I have committed financial suicide and thus can no longer improve my future.
Well, if what you claim was true then yes you have committed financial suicide.

However, are your claims true? You were complaining on the health forum recently that you had to pay a $1000 deductible for something on your company paid health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 07:30 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,083,092 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p571/ch10.html

Not only that if you are low income, the government will give you money to save. It's called savers credit, up to $30k.

Yes, it's great for Subsidy Kids who get to live cheaply (e.g. live with parents and get free/cheap room and board) but not so great for people paying market rents with student loan debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 07:32 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,083,092 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, if what you claim was true then yes you have committed financial suicide.

However, are your claims true? You were complaining on the health forum recently that you had to pay a $1000 deductible for something on your company paid health insurance.

Say wha? I have never had a $1000 deductible or employer paid insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2016, 07:35 PM
 
33,046 posts, read 22,083,092 times
Reputation: 8970
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Short answer yes. Adults took jobs that are meant for teenagers, they shouldn't be complaining. If it's temporary, then it's another story, but these jobs are not for life. Teenagers get to live at home, so they can afford to take these jobs.

??? ???

Lemme see if I've got this right:

If adults take jobs "meant for teenagers" (still don't know "by whom?"), they shouldn't be complaining.

If adults don't take jobs meant for teenagers, and then go hungry, they shouldn't be complaining.

Did I get that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top