U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 12:14 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you even bother to read the post I was responding to? It had nothing to do with the government taking care of every last need, let's try this again: This is what was posted

and this was my response:

capiche?
And I have at the same response. Understand? What is your point? That someone who is middle class should pay enough so that she can live as good as the middle class who is working and saving for their own retirement? How about YOU or your family help her like used to occur before it was the government's responsibility (other individuals). Remember, the " government" is tax payers working for their own and their family's end.

This is what is wrong with this country today. Maybe there should have been life insurance taken out on her behalf. There were a lot of other things that could have happened within her own and her family's responsibility that could have helped her. They obviously didn't save anything.

And yet she is still getting social security. In some countries she would get zero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:24 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,564,616 times
Quote:
Did you even bother to read the post I was responding to? It had nothing to do with the government taking care of every last need, let's try this again: This is what was posted

and this was my response:

capiche?
And I have at the same response. Understand? What is your point? That someone who is middle class should pay enough so that she can live as good as the middle class who is working and saving for their own retirement? How about YOU or your family help her like used to occur before it was the government's responsibility (other individuals). Remember, the " government" is tax payers working for their own and their family's end.

This is what is wrong with this country today. Maybe there should have been life insurance taken out on her behalf. There were a lot of other things that could have happened within her own and her family's responsibility that could have helped her. They obviously didn't save anything.

And yet she is still getting social security. In some countries she would get zero.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:27 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,087,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Finally, someone who gets it. We hear so much about "what about the poor". It's time the middle class start worrying about themselves because you'll find that those safety nets are NOT for you. The poor will be taken care, you won't because of the ridiculously low income limits. The middle class will pay full ticket price.

While they take your money away to pay for them you're also supposed to save for you and your family. While the poor complain they want more, you already struggle to save for you. It's time for people who get the handouts to stop complaining. Maybe even thank your fellow American who do without so you have.

Owning a paid-off home is perhaps the best safety net an American could have. One can live much better in near-poverty with a paid off home than with rent consuming half your income.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Unless there is something we don't know, you didnt save because you decided not to get a decent job...move to Sioux Falls...they are everywhere...as is cheap housing and high quality of life. What's your excuse this time ??

There's basically zero uemployment. You probably wouldn't be able to post all day long on Internet forums though. There's your excuse!!

I don't have any marketable job skills. If employers don't want to hire me, nobody's going to stop them.

I've gone to a number of temp agencies and filled out their forms. Their forms list hundreds of work skills and apparently I have only about a half dozen of the skills they want. One potential issue is that I don't have a car - temp agencies might insist on having a car in order to get to worksites, but since they never offer me any work, I won't know whether not having a car makes a difference in my case.

p.s. sometimes I post from work because we have free wifi and I use it on breaks.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No, I think it would go like this: "suck it up dummy, you made bad choices you have no one to blame but yourself, maybe you can find a private charity to get some food when you run out"

??? ??? Stayed in school, got good grades, didn't do crime or drugs or 'culture of poverty' stuff, where are the bad decisions?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
There really isn't a whole lot to say. If you find yourself in retirement with less than $1000 in SS as your only income it's pretty obvious that you didn't plan very well.

How so? Are people expected to save for retirement on a minimum wage income while paying off student loans?

Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Well, no worries "THE GUBMNT" is supposed to take care of every last need.

More like her husband left her a paid-off home which served well as a safety net.

If affordable tiny homes existed for low earners to buy, they too could live in retirement on $800 SS and no mortgage or rent payment.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:53 PM

31,116 posts, read 13,636,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? Stayed in school, got good grades, didn't do crime or drugs or 'culture of poverty' stuff, where are the bad decisions?
I was being sarcastic, I guess I should have included an emoji in that -sorry

Old 01-09-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You qualify for Medicaid. I pay over $800 a month for that benefit. = $1,800.00. The tax payer pays your bill if you go to a nursing home while they will be forced to spend down to poverty. Some of us, even though we pay your bill will never qualify for assistance due to income limits. I believe the current income limit is $2,500 a month.

There is a big push to transition people from the nursing home into the community (home), you'll qualify for rental assistance ($800), home modifications ($Thousands) and nursing home care plus ($thousands a month), food. Medicaid will follow you home, no medical bills or free medications. A lot of benefits that people like me paying your bill will have to pay for out of our own pocket.

The middle class will not qualify for a lot of help that you'll get, they are heading for a train wreck and don't know it, but they pay to make sure you will be taken care of. YOU will actually do much better than people who worked and paid taxes and who's kids are paying your bill instead of keeping that money to help their own.

And you and people like you are complaining???? Maybe you should be thanking the taxpayer?

Now let's think this out.

If I didn't have a student loan garnishment, I could have afforded more than a crappy room, years ago.

If I could afford more than a crappy room, I could move everything out of my storage unit - reducing expenses - and keep everything at home where it would be easier and faster to sell - generating more income faster - and paying off debt in 6-8 years.

Due to the high student loan fees, I have now paid more in fees than the principal I borrowed, without making significant progress on the balance. Maybe the taxpayer should thank me for the fee revenue?

Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 4,162,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
How so? Are people expected to save for retirement on a minimum wage income while paying off student loans?

So you go to school, have student loans and then you have a minimum wage job? What the heck did you major in?! Underwater basket weaving. I majored in accounting. I can assure you I never had a minimum wage job after I graduated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or