U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 06:18 PM

71,520 posts, read 71,694,121 times

Advertisements

well that in itself isn't that bad . it is all the excuses he has for not improving .

the list is longer then my arm .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 06:46 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times
He must be a very lonely person with low self esteem. It's unfortunate that he didn't have family to tell him he's ok throughout the years.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
He must be a very lonely person with low self esteem. It's unfortunate that he didn't have family to tell him he's ok throughout the years.
Tis a long story and his personal business to share once again or not. But he has shared previously in here. I can seem harsh in my responses to him some time but he does have my ear and I do understand more than my short posts my indicate.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,560,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My plan was to go to law school and become a lawyer. By the time I graduated, law school was financially out of reach, and my liberal arts degree was more or less useless for anything else.
I also had a "worthless liberal arts degree" as did I'm assuming MOST college graduates. You apply for jobs, get one, experiment, etc...and keep moving up.

May I ask how old you are now? Every try substitute teaching? Usually just a degree required. How about working 16 hours a day...even at $10 an hour, that's 40,000 a year. You could figure out the bus system or get a taxi even if you make 40k or more.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
That requires money - there's the rub.
if you have a college degree, you can move to many states right now and substitute teach every single day if you are a respectable person. You could also pick up a second job besides doing that. And maybe you'd meet someone teaching who needed some work done, etc...

You have to start somewhere and you don't appear willing to do that. Your problem appears to be a psychological one, not an unemployability one.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
And I have at the same response. Understand? What is your point? That someone who is middle class should pay enough so that she can live as good as the middle class who is working and saving for their own retirement? How about YOU or your family help her like used to occur before it was the government's responsibility (other individuals). Remember, the " government" is tax payers working for their own and their family's end. This is what is wrong with this country today. Maybe there should have been life insurance taken out on her behalf. There were a lot of other things that could have happened within her own and her family's responsibility that could have helped her. They obviously didn't save anything. And yet she is still getting social security. In some countries she would get zero.
What the heck are you talking about? Her entire family helped her, where did I say that we didn't? Sorry the point somehow eluded you but let me try to explain it again:

My great Aunt was born in 1911, she married when she was 20 and had one daughter who was mentally handicapped and is still alive. She and her husband did the right things, they were industrious and hard working, he was a mail man she was a housewife as was typical for the times. They had a small savings and their house was paid off, but over time home repairs and medical expenses ate up their savings. Her husband died over 45 years ago, until about 6 months before her death she was the full time caretaker for her disabled daughter. She never got any public aid and never asked for it. And don't lose any sleep worrying about whether she had life insurance, we buried her and we found a home for disabled adults for her 84 year old daughter who needs help wiping her behind and feeding herself.

My ONLY POINT in mentioning my Great Aunt is to illustrate that it is not always "poor planning" that can leave people with less than $1,000 a month to live on. Had she died when she was in her 70's or 80's she never would have faced the dilemma of being 103 years old and trying to live on $800, you see that money would have been worth quite a bit more 25 or 30 years ago than it is today.

You know what's wrong with this country ? It's full of blowhards who are probably two paychecks away from being broke themselves and make themselves feel superior by poor shaming and jumping in to lecture everyone who they have decided "didn't plan well enough" or who should have "tried harder".

Old 01-10-2016, 12:04 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,948,785 times
Quote:
More like her husband left her a paid-off home which served well as a safety net.

If affordable tiny homes existed for low earners to buy, they too could live in retirement on $800 SS and no mortgage or rent payment.
20K House Product Line

Goog "the $20,000 House Project" from Auburn University's School of Architecture. Here's the linkie.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
What the heck are you talking about? Her entire family helped her, where did I say that we didn't? Sorry the point somehow eluded you but let me try to explain it again:

My great Aunt was born in 1911, she married when she was 20 and had one daughter who was mentally handicapped and is still alive. She and her husband did the right things, they were industrious and hard working, he was a mail man she was a housewife as was typical for the times. They had a small savings and their house was paid off, but over time home repairs and medical expenses ate up their savings. Her husband died over 45 years ago, until about 6 months before her death she was the full time caretaker for her disabled daughter. She never got any public aid and never asked for it. And don't lose any sleep worrying about whether she had life insurance, we buried her and we found a home for disabled adults for her 84 year old daughter who needs help wiping her behind and feeding herself.

My ONLY POINT in mentioning my Great Aunt is to illustrate that it is not always "poor planning" that can leave people with less than $1,000 a month to live on. Had she died when she was in her 70's or 80's she never would have faced the dilemma of being 103 years old and trying to live on $800, you see that money would have been worth quite a bit more 25 or 30 years ago than it is today.

You know what's wrong with this country ? It's full of blowhards who are probably two paychecks away from being broke themselves and make themselves feel superior by poor shaming and jumping in to lecture everyone who they have decided "didn't plan well enough" or who should have "tried harder".
If she got help, that's great. That's the way it should be instead of everyone expecting "strangers' taxes" supporting them. I guess you think Freemkt is in the same boat. It doesn't sound like he is to me.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:19 AM

13,225 posts, read 6,320,879 times
Tiny homes?
What about mobile home? RV as a home. I know somebody who used to live in an RV with his wife on $140k salary, he couldn't afford a home in LA. I did finally retire a few years ago.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:19 AM

31,024 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
If she got help, that's great. That's the way it should be instead of everyone expecting "strangers' taxes" supporting them. I guess you think Freemkt is in the same boat. It doesn't sound like he is to me.
Please don't read into my posts. I never talked about the situation of any other poster. I was responding to the arrogant claim that anyone receiving under $1000 was guilty of "poor planning".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or