U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:35 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,553,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
And what about people who never got married, they never got any benefit from any marriage either, shared housing, shared expense, shared benefits like health insurance, etc.. I have relatives in this category. Even to buy a house they have to rely on their own savings, same with retirement. They have to do it alone.
I completely understand as this is the situation I'm in. I'm a somewhat above average earner in a reasonable cost city, and it's just plain tougher to do everything solo. Housing costs get cheaper per person the more people you have contributing in a household. Same goes for transportation costs (you'll have two cars - but the costs probably won't double overall), food (it's easy to waste food when cooking for one), and just about anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 AM

823 posts, read 564,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You would think that for how often I say we are blessed people would get a clue as to who I am attributing much of our good fortune to. Truth be told things could be a lot worse for us if not bad but we were blessed and know who to be thankful to.
So you attribute your luck to a supernatural being who smites others with thunderbolts, but not you, because you are protected by some kind of cosmic shield. That's an interesting, albeit self-serving, theory. It explains a lot of things you post here.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:55 AM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
So you attribute your luck to a supernatural being who smites others with thunderbolts, but not you, because you are protected by some kind of cosmic shield. That's an interesting, albeit self-serving, theory. It explains a lot of things you post here.
Mine is out for repairs at the cosmic shield shop. I don't have a defined benefit pension. I don't have an inheritance coming. I have a couple of ex-wives who set me back financially in divorce settlements. Either I proactively make sure I have my retirement funded or I eat dog food and sleep in a cardboard box like freemkt the moment I stop working. I'm not going to have one of those EF Hutton golf tournament commercial retirements but I should be comfortable if I keep my eye on the ball for another 8 years even if the stock market does another total meltdown.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:10 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
He's ended up buying her a very nice condo and they bought a new luxury SUV right before they divorced. The alimony payments are on top of that.

She can get back in the labor force in a meaningful way, but it's going to be a huge adjustment.
A nice place to live, a luxury suv and 48K?? Give me a break. That is probably worth 70K a year at least. She is better off than the majority of the population and is a fool if she doesn't take advantage.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 AM

8,843 posts, read 5,126,299 times
I wonder why the supernatural being loves some so much that they are blessed with defined benefit pensions, while others he hates so much that they are blessed with abusive homes and mistreated until they are murdered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-storage-unit/

Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I completely understand as this is the situation I'm in. I'm a somewhat above average earner in a reasonable cost city, and it's just plain tougher to do everything solo. Housing costs get cheaper per person the more people you have contributing in a household. Same goes for transportation costs (you'll have two cars - but the costs probably won't double overall), food (it's easy to waste food when cooking for one), and just about anything else.
I often think that young people are doing themselves a disservice by waiting so long to get married.(if they want to get married) -Finding someone compatible in college, grad school or early in a career, has to be easier than when you are 30ish and scattered all over the country, away from friends and family connections. Of course divorce happens. Though making good decisions, getting an education, whether college or trade, mitigates the statistics downward.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,201,059 times
Quote:
You would think that for how often I say we are blessed people would get a clue as to who I am attributing much of our good fortune to. Truth be told things could be a lot worse for us if not bad but we were blessed and know who to be thankful to.
I don't get this comment. You mean if people believed in your faith/power, they'd be blessed too? I'm very thankful for what I have and yes it could be a lot worse for me too, especially with some of my limitations, but I would never impose my own faith/beliefs toward other people's situtations, good or bad.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:48 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I don't get this comment. You mean if people believed in your faith/power, they'd be blessed too? I'm very thankful for what I have and yes it could be a lot worse for me too, especially with some of my limitations, but I would never impose my own faith/beliefs toward other people's situtations, good or bad.
No not at all not all. I am very understanding of the misfortunes life can bestow upon us. I have had my pitfalls and my situations where I could have lost much of it all. However I know that when I want to be thankful for what I have I know it comes with the blessings from above. Now you can reject that and that is fine and thus is freedom. You can pray or not pray and that is fine if that's what you want. However understand your acceptance or rejection is not part nor is it necessary for me to have my faith and to give thanks whenever and However I want to. Now we shall drop the role of faith in this discussion and I will once again say we feel blessed for our good fortune.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM

31,024 posts, read 13,578,167 times
Quote:
How are we blessed? We have families living in their cars, people who work every day but can't both pay their rent and buy groceries. We have kids who through no fault of their own are born into crime infested ghettos with no way out. Decent people die every day before their kids reach adulthood or they are struck with a disabling condition that renders them unable to care for themselves. Seems like an awful lot of people in this Country were overlooked when the blessings got handed out.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:49 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I wonder why the supernatural being loves some so much that they are blessed with defined benefit pensions, while others he hates so much that they are blessed with abusive homes and mistreated until they are murdered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-storage-unit/
Those are questions that have mystified us for time and often become the reason why our faith is so often tested! Had to respond once more now back on topic posters. Sorry, whew if folks only knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or