U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:39 AM

7,964 posts, read 9,715,705 times

Advertisements

Parallel parking.

I'm only average with straight in parking, but I can get any car into any parallel space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 07:58 AM

16,357 posts, read 10,346,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Parallel parking.

I'm only average with straight in parking, but I can get any car into any parallel space.
ok, that's it. I am officially jealous.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:06 AM

12,764 posts, read 7,828,996 times
To endure.

To endure without becoming bitter.

(I have had many bad experiences in life)

Old 12-31-2015, 09:11 AM

14,698 posts, read 8,494,355 times
Talking and listening to the elderly without being patronizing or condescending. I have been an ophthalmic technician my entire career and most of my patients are old. I love it, love working with them, and have been told many times that I am the only person who has taken the time to explain their eye condition in a way they can understand. The doctors are often too busy to explain things thoroughly to them. (I'm 38, thus not close to retirement age). I hope to do this at least another 30 years.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 AM

635 posts, read 405,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
There are a lot of talented people here. I am not one of them.

The only claim to fame is I have survived this far.

There are a few people here, Kay, Curnudgeon, Meo, a few others, [deliberately not mentioning all so that no feelings are hurt] including YOU that I would love to meet in real life. I think of what crazy fun we would have together, sharing everything from deep in our guts with each other as we drink coffee, even maybe being roommates. You are talented, NYgal, in ways much bigger than any of the talents people normally think of. You make people feel welcome. You make people feel accepted and cared for. What greater talent could there be?

Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,208,493 times
1. I dated a guy who was the VP of construction for enormous buildings. He could tell you exactly how many stories any building was just by driving by it. Only off by one or so ever.

2. Every talented thief I ever had working in my retail store was EXCELLENT with money. One guy could tell you how much was in the dime slot by glancing.

3. For me, my superpower is animal whispering. I discovered it living in a high rise a few years ago. Now, as a pet sitter/dog walker I can handle any animal because they read my energy (and vice versa) and I don't even talk. Also applies to FISH, one of whom I just had to figure out this week to make him eat LOL. That also translates to working with humans. Especially people with dementia. Everybody operates off of energy.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:19 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,268,097 times
I haven't discovered my "super power" yet. But hey I am only 69 YO so I may still find it.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:21 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,015 times
I would neither call nor consider my strongest personality traits 'superpower' or 'special' talents. They are just the traits which I happen to posses, and which define me. I am listing some of them here:

- strong intellectual curiosity: I love to learn new things, always asking 'why' and trying to figure things out. Learning is a wonderful activity. It makes you feel like a perpetual child happily discovering the world, a kid in the knowledge 'candy' store.

- proactive/doer: I think this correlates to being a realist. I find that this is the only way to make things happen and turn out the way that I want. This tendency has contributed significantly to many successes in my life.

- analytical/logical: This tendency is due to both my personal inclination and scientific training. I find this trait to be essential to both my career and life.

- empathy/compassion: This is definitely an acquired trait which I am glad to get from my parents. I often find that trying to be more understanding has helped me a lot more than the other person. This trait balances my logical inclination, makes me less judgmental thus tempering my exasperation with some people's seemingly illogical actions. I also want to add that my intellectual curiosity has helped me tremendously. It is difficult to develop empathy and compassion without understanding the root causes, the nuances and complexities of your own life and others.

The combination of these traits and tendencies have helped me to achieve/acquire some 'talents' such as

1) being to troubleshoot and fix 99.99% of computer hardware/software problems. DIY in fixing quite a few of electronics/appliances/plane/car problems

2) 'googling' expert: I am very quick and efficient at finding the correct answers/solutions/ pertinent data. Most importantly, I am quite an expert in finding 'deals', cheapest or best ROI options, and it has helped me quite a bit in handling our financial affairs ;-)

3) being a very good/effective team leader (both work and volunteer roles) due to my analytical, organizational, problem solving, crisis management skills, proactive attitude and some people skills (empathy/compassion).

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-31-2015 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-31-2015, 10:54 AM

14,407 posts, read 7,929,570 times
My super power better be strong because after tonight I'm going to try and beat this damn sugar addiction again for the 100th time. If It fails me them my other super power is the ability I have to make you feel safe, comfortable and calm in my presence. I think that's half of why I was so good at my job, and why I make friends so easily.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:47 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,254,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I know that there are many stories here, and I respect the life experiences of each person who posts in this Retirement forum. By now most of us know what we do well, and what we do best. I've been asking myself what I think my superpower is, and I wish I could come up with an important thing, like comforting people, making piles of money or healing broken lives. I can't. My "superpower" is quite mundane. If you need me to find you something in a store, then I'm the one who can do it. I've never worked retail, so I don't know how I do this, but in almost all cases, I can find the thing you probably can't find.

When I was a librarian, I could find the book you wanted too. I don't mean on the shelf so much, but if you knew generally about the book, I could probably figure what the title was in the online catalog. I also learned to do other interesting finding tasks, like a phone number in London or the dimensions of the Oscar.

But now, as a civilian, I limit myself to finding things on retail shelves, or on the internet. If you want a fact or statistic or some other oddball thing on the net, you could ask me to search for that. Although, don't! Call a local librarian.

At any rate, that's my superpower. What is/are yours?

I control the world! HAHAHAHAHA!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement