Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 03:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

I know that there are many stories here, and I respect the life experiences of each person who posts in this Retirement forum. By now most of us know what we do well, and what we do best. I've been asking myself what I think my superpower is, and I wish I could come up with an important thing, like comforting people, making piles of money or healing broken lives. I can't. My "superpower" is quite mundane. If you need me to find you something in a store, then I'm the one who can do it. I've never worked retail, so I don't know how I do this, but in almost all cases, I can find the thing you probably can't find.

When I was a librarian, I could find the book you wanted too. I don't mean on the shelf so much, but if you knew generally about the book, I could probably figure what the title was in the online catalog. I also learned to do other interesting finding tasks, like a phone number in London or the dimensions of the Oscar.

But now, as a civilian, I limit myself to finding things on retail shelves, or on the internet. If you want a fact or statistic or some other oddball thing on the net, you could ask me to search for that. Although, don't! Call a local librarian.

At any rate, that's my superpower. What is/are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 03:21 PM

30,521 posts, read 16,213,477 times
what a great question!

I think mine is seeing through all the bs and getting to the bottom line.

Not infallible of course but most of the time.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:31 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I remember people face even those that I've only encountered them a few times. My husband suggested that I become an FBI. I also have reasonably good memory, not elephant, but when I was younger I read a book twice and I would be able to recall 90% of it.
I have a very good intuition. For example, I thought one priest was unusually friendly with females sometimes . Sure enough when I finally moved back here, I've heard he was banned from being a priest. Who knew?

Old 12-30-2015, 03:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I'm a painter. I paint in watercolor and sell almost every painting as soon as it's completed.

My husband is a jazz drummer. He can tell you the name of every piece of jazz music, who wrote it, who recorded it, and variations different musicians made to it.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
I have one super power. I call it parking luck. A person without parking luck has to drive around and around and still can't find a place to park. But if I'm in the car and I start concentrating on parking luck, a parking place will appear.

Occasionally I'll be with someone who doesn't believe me when I tell them to slow down because I have parking luck. In those cases my heart sinks as they drive at normal speed right past a car that's pulling out to leave a parking place that could have been theirs.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:59 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

I know that there are many stories here, and I respect the life experiences of each person who posts in this Retirement forum. By now most of us know what we do well, and what we do best. I've been asking myself what I think my superpower is, and I wish I could come up with an important thing, like comforting people, making piles of money or healing broken lives. I can't. My "superpower" is quite mundane. If you need me to find you something in a store, then I'm the one who can do it. I've never worked retail, so I don't know how I do this, but in almost all cases, I can find the thing you probably can't find.

When I was a librarian, I could find the book you wanted too. I don't mean on the shelf so much, but if you knew generally about the book, I could probably figure what the title was in the online catalog. I also learned to do other interesting finding tasks, like a phone number in London or the dimensions of the Oscar.

But now, as a civilian, I limit myself to finding things on retail shelves, or on the internet. If you want a fact or statistic or some other oddball thing on the net, you could ask me to search for that. Although, don't! Call a local librarian.

But in reality, my superpower is being pretty perceptive. I can pretty much assess a person/situation before sh*t happens.....

At any rate, that's my superpower. What is/are yours?
I work in the library world in acquisitions so I know what you mean. If someone is looking for some esoteric dvd chances are I can find it for them. Lately, I've been really into consignment shopping and have scored some pretty great deals. When I moved into my apartment a few years back I spent so much time in Home Goods customers would ask me for advice thinking I worked there!

My Steampunk alter-ego is a "Purveyor of Knowledge, Wisdom and Wares"--part librarian, researcher, private eye, psychologist/mystic, and personal shopper. Whatever it is you seek, I'll find it for you

But seriously, my superpower is being pretty perceptive. I can assess a situation/individual pretty much before sh*t happens.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:18 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,038 times
I listen.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:37 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
I'm another librarian so am good at ferreting out and evaluating information.
I'm pretty good too at troubleshooting technology problems. I can't always FIX them but I can nearly always figure out the source/cause.
But my superpower is staying calm in a crisis. I get rattled as heck anticipating trouble but once it hits I'm cool as a cucumber.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I listen.

Sadly, this is a quickly disappearing talent.

I have always been a good listener, too, in part because it was expected of me when I was growing up.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Mine is bringing out the creativity (art, writing) in others, kids and adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement