U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 4,547 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are semi-retired as part of a process of simplifying our lives so that we can enjoy the quality of life we've always wanted. But as we work less and less (we teach online now), I'm becoming aware of a worry that without any work I will have no real sense of purpose in my life. I have an amazing lifestyle - nothing to complain about at all. We are in our mid 50's. We have no kids and so are able to live wherever we want. Right now we are house sitting in a beautiful property in Australia. But... I have started wondering about more and more about "purpose". Interested really to hear other peoples views on this. Have you over time replaced work with other meaningful activities. Is it just past programming - something that passes, or do we all need to keep a sense of purpose to stay motivated and fulfilled in our lives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,056,502 times
Depends I guess by how you define "sense of purpose".
I've been retired 4 years, DH for 3 years, and we've yet to experience a twinge of feeling unfulfilled or unmotivated.
We pay taxes to support our community and country, maintain an active donor advised charitable fund, patronize local arts groups, and help neighbors and family when they need it - usually by doing chores for or driving them. We don't feel our lives lack purpose.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:08 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,467,321 times
I retired seven years ago today. My wife preceded me in retirement by five years. We talked about it today and neither of us has ever regretted pulling the plug on our profession. Our "purpose," if you wish to call it one, is enjoying the fruits of our labors and our grandchildren.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:13 PM

1,142 posts, read 776,814 times
I'm too busy to think about it.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:22 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Could your sense of purpose be to get to know each other better. We double-timed it for years raising two children. We were married young, had our children young and now we get to know each other again. We both had retirement drop in our laps. He volunteers at the American Legion. I keep him fed. Opportunities come up but we are mostly keeping up with friends and doing what comes naturally. Should we do more? I really don't know. I am thinking about taking a cooking class at a local college. I never had time or money to do that before.

One day at a time.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:42 PM

6,220 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Some people have little or no interest in learning. Some of us are curious and want to learn everything we can.

Some people have little interest in their accomplishments. When they retire, they have even less interest in accomplishing anything. Some of us are glad retire and have more time to pursue different interest and we often have lists of things we want to do see and accomplish.

Some people struggle to find things to occupy their time. Television is often a major help. Some of us just cannot find the time to do all but a fraction of the things we want to do.

These characteristics rarely change just because someone retires.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:43 PM

I guess this is so different for everyone. Personally, I think it's hard to switch off from applying myself so hard in my working life up until now. Although I hated that life it's all consuming nature means that now there's a bit of a void if I'm not doing anything. But over time one "purpose" will get replaced with another and I'll adjust to that. I agree - it's "one day at a time".

Old 12-30-2015, 07:31 PM

8,391 posts, read 9,134,430 times
Sense of purpose? I suppose my post should be in the religious forum. But yea, I have one.

Leaning toward music and finding out what God would have me do. I am less than three weeks into this retirement thing. I'll see what comes my way.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,919,009 times
If work is your only "sense of purpose", I feel sorry for you. I could not wait to be done with the corporate rat-race, working 16-hour days because with e-mail and telecommuting you were never really "off", management who care more about metrics than their employees. I have not looked back at all. I don't know what exactly consumes my days, but they are busy!

Old 12-30-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
If work is your only "sense of purpose", I feel sorry for you. I could not wait to be done with the corporate rat-race, working 16-hour days because with e-mail and telecommuting you were never really "off", management who care more about metrics than their employees. I have not looked back at all. I don't know what exactly consumes my days, but they are busy!
Yes you're right - but that was my problem. I had a business with my ex that ran our lives and became a trap for many reasons too many to mention. I too couldn't wait to get away from it and now love having a simple job teaching students English (simple by comparison to my previous life). I think it's the adjustment from having a work as the main sense of purpose because it was all consuming to now having a lot of spare time and trying to reestablish my "true" sense of purpose. My body has retired but my mind is lagging behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or