U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2016, 08:01 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Eternity is forever, but you, my dear, are not.
And how far back does the past extend? Millions of years? Billions? Forever? And where were we then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 08:28 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,775,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydan57 View Post
No religion here, either. It's just a fade to black...

I'm not 65 yet, maybe it becomes like the atheist in a foxhole when I get to that point.

But I doubt it.
I too am a few years shy of the OPs 65 point but I don't see anything changing. I turned atheist around 12 years old, despite being raised very religious- in fact, actually *reading* the 'bible' was one factor in convincing me that it couldn't be true. All of my education since has reinforced that conviction. Religion is born out of ignorance of the facts, a lack of knowledge and a need for explanations. Education is the cure for ignorance and lack of knowledge.

Don't believe that old crap about "no atheists in a foxhole". I entered the military at 17, bombs, bullets and foxholes did nothing to change my conviction. Actually, I think it made me a better soldier, knowing that there is no magic 'afterlife'. I've been nearly dead and watched others die, it changed nothing.

I think (or would like to) that as people [in general] become better educated, the ignorant belief in ancient myths will die off...eventually, perhaps even hastened by the stupidity/insanity of the radical muslim jihadists.

Old 01-02-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
.........the stupidity/insanity of the radical muslim jihadists.
The issue is the violence, not the stupidity/insanity. I see nothing less stupid or less insane than the acceptance of the bible tales as facts. Then again some people accept them as "parables." I am not sure how that works. Noah made an imaginary boat...that some people still think could be found on Mt Ararat. Then he herded aboard two of every species of animals even though no boat ever made would be big enough for two of every species. And then an imaginary flood wiped out the earth and it was repopulated by animals in the ark. And what does this child's tale tell us about any real or imaged god(s)? Well, I think it tells us that some people are desperately gullible. Unfortunately gullible people are capable of being led about anywhere including into holy wars, intolerance, and violence against those with different beliefs and opinions.

7,954 posts, read 7,915,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
And how far back does the past extend? Millions of years? Billions? Forever? And where were we then?
Until we discover the precise answer, the correct answer is: "We do not know". The mistake is to fill in the blanks with any form of irrational and unsupported wishful thinking or fantasy. That is the mistake. The correct position is to remain in an intellectual state contained in this sample quote: "I do not know how far back the past extends. I may one day discover it, I may not. However, to stay in consonance and harmony with existence and reality, it is important NOT TO MAKE IT UP"."

And this correct policy and state of disposition should also be carried forward into everyday life." I do not know" should never be filled in with random garbage or wishful nonsense. Why? Because that leads to bad decisions, bad lives, irrational behavior, and just general terribleness. It can even lead to disease and death if carried too far.

"I do not know" must always be followed by "Can I discover it?". That is the correct way to live as a rational animal, aka, a human being. Any other way is to be a fool.

5,677 posts, read 6,775,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Are atheists aware that eternity is foreaver and foreaver?
'Eternity' is but another facet of the concept of 'infinite', as applied to 'time'.

It is entirely irrelevant to existence. One does not perceive the infinite eternity of time before existence, nor that after; awareness of one's current existence is all there is, and all that matters, anything else is a delusion.

There is no 'a' in 'forever'. There, I just learned ya somethin', could be two things, but I doubt it.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:58 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Reminds me of the movie I didn't get to see in the theaters called "Spotlight" which I am looking forward to seeing when it comes out on DVD. For those who don't know, "it is the true story of a team of reporters from the Boston Globe who delve into allegations of abuse in the Catholic Church, their year-long investigation uncovers a decades-long cover-up at the highest levels of Boston's religious, legal, and government establishment, touching off a wave of revelations around the world."

Spotlight*(2015) - Rotten Tomatoes

It's still playing in some theaters. Rated as one of the best pictures of the year. Did anyone on here see it? Did you think it was well done?

Not on subject I know. Just considering if I want to pay the price of two movie tickets to see it in the theater. I always enjoy seeing movies based on true stories, even if they fudge a bit. Saw the recent Steve Jobs movie. Thought it was very poorly done.
I just watched the trailer and it looks like a great movie and it's based on facts which I like. I will see it when and if it hits Netflix. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 AM

8,857 posts, read 5,132,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I like many other non-religious people avoid the subject. There are folks that firmly believe that all atheists/agnostics are pedophiles, swindlers of old ladies, and have sex with swine.

My golden rule: I don't preach to you, you don't preach to me.
Don't forget baby eaters. We all eat babies. We don't necessarily want to eat them you understand; it's in the handbook.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 AM

3,985 posts, read 2,541,986 times
I have kept up with this thread from the beginning and I think I am the only Christian who responded. Obviously you guys are very sensitive about this as you should be. Christians don't have to worry.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times
Quote:
I have kept up with this thread from the beginning and I think I am the only Christian who responded. Obviously you guys are very sensitive about this as you should be. Christians don't have to worry.
why would "christians" answer? That was not the question.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
...... Christians don't have to worry.

All denominations or just yours? What about Jews, or Muslims, or Buddhists, Pagans????

Yup for a comforting belief in eternal life you merely have to give up rational thought and understanding. Enjoy all you want as long as you don't try to impose your beliefs on others. Oh, I forgot that is not the way religions grow adherents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement