U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2016, 08:42 AM

3,976 posts, read 2,537,158 times

Advertisements

Obama dosen't even know the defination of a Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 09:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post

Spelling aside, I understand a Christian is defined by beliefs. I wonder how any of us know the religious beliefs of Obama.

I understand some people concede Obama to be a Christian but not a "true" Christian. Attempting to define the term Christian can put you on a slippery slope.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:32 AM

7,954 posts, read 7,910,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
This kind of typically American attitude is a major reason I am happy to have emigrated from the U.S. and prefer living in a country where belief in a god or non-belief simply isn't an issue. Believe/don't believe, go to church/don't go to church...and nobody gets an attitude about it.
That's actually how it is here. America is nominally religious, but in actual real everyday life, is as functionally atheistic as Europe. The vast majority of people could give a rat's butt what anyone else believes. And most of the religion is "displayed" at births, deaths, weddings, christenings, etc. Day to day, people live in the real world, with religion coming into the picture most strongly at those times where fear of mortality intrudes on the party. Yes there are some sects scattered about who ensconce and inhibit their lives with dogma and misery, but they tend to gravitate to each other and away from the rest of us. Day to day life in America is largely free of religious judgment and most people don't care what others believe in any real sense. Most of the time, we just co-exist and take care of the business of life.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM

1,842 posts, read 1,369,658 times
Quote:
Just stop the hate please .. since you claim to be the only "Christian " here

You can find my original post on page 5 of this thread and even since that time I am in trouble from some family members for not praying for my beloved friend of 37 years as well as being my brother in law for 5 years there somewhere in the middle of the 37 .

He is a wonderful darling teddy bear of a man who my whole family living and deceased loved dearly and all anyone can do is just say Pray , praying praying .. like they are lining up just to make some showing . uughh I have asked pleaded and finally DEMANDED to know what on earth has happened with our friend of so long .. silence .. So I had to PM my son and he told me my friend who always battled a weight problem and his wife who mainly fed him grease since 1987( they ARE still in Texas) is dying at age 55 from combined kidney and liver failure and has a large tumor on one kidney and as my son said " a bunch of other things and can barely speak ".

OK well instead of just yelling out PRAY on social media, not only am I remembering the wonderful times we all had together but I told my son that I wanted him to TELL him even if he couldn't respond. How much my sister and another lifelong friend who lives out here and my self LOVE him VERY VERY much and to please try as hard as you can to pull OUT of this . I told my son that it was most important right that he know how truly he is loved by all of us .

This guy grew up in abject poverty and was the first and only to graduate HS/ then college and tried SO HARD in this life to do the right thing ( including praying alot ) was nice to EVERYONE , always gave people a chance and was never judgmental and was just handed a life of &$*#. I can say a truly stellar person.

He did all the right things and deserved better than this . I am not seeing that prayer , praying , whatever helped in the least .

Old 01-03-2016, 11:44 AM

7,289 posts, read 15,342,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Day to day life in America is largely free of religious judgment and most people don't care what others believe in any real sense.
Unfortunately that isn't quite true - take a look at the attempt to push specific religious values into school education, the whole opposition to gay rights, attempts to legislate so-called "Christian values" into daily life.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:15 PM

7,954 posts, read 7,910,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Unfortunately that isn't quite true - take a look at the attempt to push specific religious values into school education, the whole opposition to gay rights, attempts to legislate so-called "Christian values" into daily life.
Actually you are right to an extent, but I think all of this is on the way out. In a weird way, the Sharia madness may help this along. Sharia is an example of bad values taken to the extreme. We learn from madness better than the borderline stuff. I think the worldwide Jihadist movement will push more people toward atheism and reality in the long run. Irrationality is going to wear out its welcome, especially when on display so prominently and in such stark relief.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:21 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
And you are personally familiar with him enough to be able to prove this statement?

Why is it that the one person who misread the title of this thread continues to use it to throw out mindless accusations against others rather than having thoughtful discussion as the rest are having?

I would imagine this is one of the reasons many of us decide to become atheists as we age. We have become discouraged with the hypocrisy of those who preach their religion, especially the "love thy neighbor" part.

In my long lifetime I have come to the conclusion that the worst haters are the most religious. What's so sad is that they don't even see it in themselves.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:57 PM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
That's actually how it is here. America is nominally religious, but in actual real everyday life, is as functionally atheistic as Europe. The vast majority of people could give a rat's butt what anyone else believes. And most of the religion is "displayed" at births, deaths, weddings, christenings, etc. Day to day, people live in the real world, with religion coming into the picture most strongly at those times where fear of mortality intrudes on the party. Yes there are some sects scattered about who ensconce and inhibit their lives with dogma and misery, but they tend to gravitate to each other and away from the rest of us. Day to day life in America is largely free of religious judgment and most people don't care what others believe in any real sense. Most of the time, we just co-exist and take care of the business of life.
Religion permeates to the core of all political and social discussions in the U.S.

Your description was not my experience my last twenty years in the U.S., and I am not one to bring up questions of belief or disbelief, so the problem was not me. Conservative Christian religiosity is pervasive in U.S. politics and in many social spheres.

I was the office manager for a fifty person unit of a large secular university in NYC. The office was composed of Jews (secular to orthodox), gentiles whose religious beliefs, if any were unknown to me, Hindus and Buddhists. And three Evangelical Christian women. These women were unrelenting in their proselytizing and in trying to bring their religion into the workplace - and they were the source of many, many complaints on that score. A gay male on the staff, a person with AIDS and an unmarried pregnant young staff member were their constant gossip targets or worse. One of these women got caught in these latter activities and fired.

When I had a friend in St. Luke's Hospital, I found out that the hospital was having a problem with these same types roaming into the rooms of strangers and trying proselytize, and of going onto the floor with AIDS patients and putting you-will-burn-in-hell literature into the hospital's literature rack. Totally invasive, negative activity among the sick and dying. The hospital actually had to go to the trouble of finding out who these people were in order bring an end to this crap...a waste of hospital time.

And this was NYC, and I know it is worse elsewhere, because I've been elsewhere. And these people and their agenda are at the core of one of the country's two major political parties.

So, while I congratulate you on your good luck on escaping the zeitgeist of the times there. I prefer to live in a country where people do not successfully drag religion into politics and public life, and where socializing does not assume the right to proselytize. Unlike the U.S. people here seem confident enough in their belief and non-belief to live comfortably with each other - and respectfully. And not to poison all public issues with sectarian toxicity.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:58 PM

6,230 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Minervah, Unfortunately you are trying to have a rational conversation about religious ideas. That never works. Those who are religious by definition do not need facts, logic or discussion. Their beliefs are based on "faith" whatever that is. Usually it is what they have learned to believe based on the beliefs of others. Trying to have a rational conversation with a religious person is worse than dealing with someone who is just occasionally closed minded and opinionated. It always ends in frustration.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:06 PM

207 posts, read 131,930 times
"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people."

Gregory House, MD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement