Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:35 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,075,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post

My mother had deep faith in God, true faith. She survived three suicides: my dad and my two brothers. Yet she never lost faith that she would be reunited with them in the hereafter. I wish I had that kind of belief as it would make life (and death!) so much easier.
There we go. The no atheists in the foxhole theory which is also supposed to mean that as we age and get closer to death we are more likely to become believers. The power of religion is the offer of "salvation" meaning eternal life. Interesting no one is worried about why we did not exist for the eternity before our birth. We are only concerned about the future and being able to live in "heaven." No wonder so many have "faith" and are willing to suspend rational beliefs in exchange for the promise of eternal life. It all needs to be based on faith. If we did not have such a huge inducement to believe, there is no way you could pass off this idea to even a child.

At one time heaven was supposed to be on Mt Olympus. Then it moved up above the clouds, where we are to enter the pearly gates, and play harps with our friends and relatives....well except for those God rejected and will torment for eternity. Of course, beyond the clouds no longer works. We need to see heaven as some imaginary place beyond reality. When there is no reality, it all comes down to believing what you want to believe. I am just concerned that history has show that believing what you want to believe and following others results in horrible consequences on an ongoing basis. The consequences seem no less horrible now than when we sacrificed animals or other humans to please the gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM

371 posts, read 534,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Interesting no one is worried about why we did not exist for the eternity before our birth. We are only concerned about the future and being able to live in "heaven." No wonder so many have "faith" and are willing to suspend rational beliefs in exchange for the promise of eternal life.
It's because the eternity prior to our birth has no meaning to us. Once we live, we form deep attachments to our loved ones. It's the finality of these relationships that makes people want to believe in a hereafter, although I suppose for some their own immortality is important.

I figure that once I am dead, it will be just like before I was born. That didn't bother me either :-)

Old 01-23-2016, 12:48 PM

446 posts, read 705,052 times
I'm sacrificing a goat to Cthulu next Saturday.

Old 01-23-2016, 01:19 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,075,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I'm sacrificing a goat to Cthulu next Saturday.
IMO that is much better than beheading a non believer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement