U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 AM

8,786 posts, read 7,704,486 times

Advertisements

Actually, Agnostics and Atheists have all kinds of company. IMHO, most of our country fits in this category. Today, a small portion of our nations citizens worship in an organized church. 90% of children are raised with no regular exposure to organized religion. Most people reject the Bible as the Word of God. Philosophically, that means that once a person rejects any kind of religion or Holy Book as a source of knowledge about God, correct worship of God, that person becomes an agnostic. That is to say, God is not knowable. That's what the word means based on its Greek origins.

Now a lot of you are probably happy about that. You're probably happy that Christianity has been generally rejected in our country. But Christianity teaches that people should be sexually pure, kind, generous to the poor, hard working, forgiving, honest and loving toward their fellow man. I would argue that our country has gotten less so as the Christian religion has become less popular. Don't be surprised if the trend continues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:53 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,878,614 times
The older you get, the shorter the list of people who will be disappointed if you express your doubts, especially when they completely eroded your faith years ago. I went through a crisis of faith some years ago and was surprised at how many people have doubts and ignore them only because they want to stay in the faith for reasons other than strong personal belief.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:14 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
The world is seeing a resurgence of religious beliefs. Tens of thousands of Muslims are coming together and promoting religious beliefs and the quest for a religious world. One of the religious leaders of the Western world, the Pope, has been touring his domain and promoting peace and tolerance instead of the reawakening Muslim vision. Of course the Pope and the Catholic Church have never addressed atoning for centuries of holy wars, inquisitions, religious persecutions and the hidden world of child abuse that has only recently been unveiled. By definition, faith is the belief in doctrines of religion and is not based on reason. We have seen endless millennia of the effects of religious beliefs....virtually none of which has been positive. Whether it is religion, or nationalism, or "team spirit", I mistrust and certainly do not respect those who adopt the beliefs of others. A more rational approach to understanding the mysteries of the world has been called philosophy. Hardly anyone even bothers to try to understand the ideas of mankind's greatest philosophers. But millions will convene on a regular basis in a church or mosque to absorb the religious experience.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:22 AM

8,965 posts, read 7,741,639 times
While not a believer, the older I get the more I consider myself correct but live and let live.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

8,849 posts, read 5,132,953 times
I'm an agnostic atheist, but not 65 yet.

If you want to meet agnostic atheist types locally, consider browsing meetup.com. Look for groups describing themselves as "free thinkers" or "skeptics" as well as "agnostic" and "atheist".

Old 12-31-2015, 10:47 AM

8,965 posts, read 7,741,639 times
Not to start a debate but an Agnostic believes in a Supreme Being but not organized religion. An Atheist does not believe in a Supreme Being.

I say I am an Atheist that prays to God I am right..........LOL

Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 AM

3,985 posts, read 2,541,986 times
Are atheists aware that eternity is foreaver and foreaver?

Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Not to start a debate but an Agnostic believes in a Supreme Being but not organized religion. An Atheist does not believe in a Supreme Being.

I say I am an Atheist that prays to God I am right..........LOL
An agnostic believes we cannot know if there is a Supreme Being or not.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Are atheists aware that eternity is foreaver and foreaver?
Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:13 AM

207 posts, read 131,998 times
“We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.”

― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement