U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 11:19 AM

480 posts, read 507,453 times

Advertisements

I invite all my fellow retirees without a religion of their own to explore The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Our Heaven has a beer volcano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 11:49 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Not quite 65 yet, but retired. I used to, if pressed, say I was agnostic, out of politeness. Lately, though, the far religious right has absolutely pissed me off with insisting on the inclusion of (their specific) religion in government, schools, education.

The heck with that. I am an athiest, I don't have a religion or set of faith-based beliefs. Anyone is entitled to have their own religious beliefs, but pushing them into public context is not fine - as a geologist, creationists and young-earthers particularly annoy me and I do not want that rubbish taught as an "alternate theory" in a science class. Believe it at home if you like, but don't force it into schools.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:53 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
[b]...no one I know above sixty-five in the U.S. or here in Europe believes in one either.
You must hand-pick your acquaintances accordingly.

I am almost 70. My faith is as strong as if not stronger than it's always been and my prayer life is alive, well and getting better.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:45 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Are atheists aware that eternity is foreaver and foreaver?
You're judging atheists by your own punishing god.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:50 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,871,850 times
As an Atheist living in the bible belt I have to be a closet Atheist. Can't have the locals burning crosses in my front yard and I'm not even black.

I do pray but so far I can't get all the white balls plus the red ball to match my numbers.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:00 PM

39,547 posts, read 47,744,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem i would think is who do you talk to during sex ?
I talk to the bees, "honey, oh honey"....

Old 12-31-2015, 01:10 PM

2,268 posts, read 2,467,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Are atheists aware that eternity is foreaver and foreaver?
Of course, but like all other animals we humans are not.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:11 PM

9,585 posts, read 8,888,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
God is not separate from us. "God" is Gratitude, God is Love. I woke up today feeling very close to God. It was an almost tangible sense of gratitude. In my world, God does not grant wishes or make things better or worse. God is.
Who is responsible for all the "bad stuff" of is that just conveniently swept under the rug.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:27 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,525,919 times
I've been an atheist since about age 15. My mother was a Holy Roller, sent money to mail order and TV ministers although she had very little, etc. Also this was in the South where many churches had restrictions against dancing, going to the movies, drinking, put women in their place, etc. All of this and my interest in science turned me off on religion for good.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:30 PM

49 posts, read 33,610 times
I've been an atheist since about age 13 or so, although my mom raised me as a Catholic. Most people assume, from my name and appearance, that I'm a Christian. That was never any real problem until my son married into a Catholic family who likewise assume that I (and he) are Christian. It's awkward at family get-togethers when they start talking about miracles and prayers, because they assume I believe in it... but to me it's the same as if they'd said in all seriousness that Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny had left them a gift. I'd much rather come out of the closet religionwise but I'm reluctant to blow my son's cover, which would almost certainly happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement