U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 7,729,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
You're judging atheists by your own punishing god.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 07:40 PM

49 posts, read 33,588 times
Once when I was in my thirties someone made the "there are no atheists in foxholes" remark to me, followed by one to the general effect that if I ever faced "real fear" I would "be praying to god for strength and help."

About 25 years later I got The Call from my doctor telling me I had better find a surgeon and an oncologist ASAP. It was completely out of the blue because supposedly cancer had been ruled out. It took almost a week to find the right doctors and learn how bad it was and wow talk about a foxhole moment: for all I knew, I was Dead Woman Walking. I was absolutely terrified both physically and financially (no insurance) but the one thing that did NOT EVER cross my mind, either then or for the next two years of surgery and treatment for an aggressive cancer, was anything whatsoever to do with god or religion.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:18 PM

255 posts, read 233,514 times
In my late teen years I knew there was no God and honestly never gave the subject much more thought. I'm in my 60s now and it seems like there are more and more atheists than when I was younger...or at least more people admitting it.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 PM

823 posts, read 563,979 times
I'm a cultural Catholic in that I was raised going to parochial school and receiving all the Sacraments. In my family, confession every Saturday and Mass every Sunday were obligatory. It finally occurred to me to ask to stay home when I was a teenager, and of course the answer was "as long as you live in this house, you will go with us to Confession and Mass."

Our nuclear family filled a whole pew at church, and there were other families in the parish even larger than ours: 11, 12, and 13 children. All single births, of course, in those days before fertility drugs.

Being steeped in Catholic doctrine, Catholic imagery, and all the stories and feast days of the saints and martyrs has been invaluable to my appreciation of centuries of European art and literature, so I can't say that I regret my heavy indoctrination into Roman Catholicism. But I can say that, after age five, I never believed in any of it. Nor did I believe in any other religion's doctrine, although it was all interesting to me from a cultural point of view.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:09 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,341,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I guess I would say I am a Jewish Atheist. I do not believe in God but I do identify with many of the teachings and traditions of the Jewish faith in which I was brought up. I separate the culture from the mystical aspect from the practical. I don't believe the lessons, morals and values handed down in teachings of the learned scholars were given to them by God but were created by these wise people themselves and are the most meaningful of examples in which to live.
I believe in latkes for Hannukah, hamentashen for Purim, and matza brei and matza ball soup for Passover. It's all about the food. The origin or the meaning of the holiday doesn't much matter to me. There is a history that I appreciate, and there is something about Tradition that speaks to me, but not the religious part.

I guess I'm the Jewish Pastafarian?

Last edited by ansible90; 12-31-2015 at 10:20 PM..

Old 12-31-2015, 10:11 PM

3,978 posts, read 2,537,158 times
If your on the retirement forum your in the foxhole.

Old 01-01-2016, 02:24 AM

7,954 posts, read 7,910,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I have met very few people at that age who are agnostic or atheist. I am personally an agnostic and don't believe in any religion.

Is your belief in God and religion stronger now that you are older? Any Atheists or agnostics here?

Dedication to Reason as the only means of cognition should have nothing to do with one's age. Or really much of anything else.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:05 AM

13,318 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I think there's an idea that, as one gets older and closer to death, it's more likely that one will develop or enhance a god belief, heaven/hell, afterlife, and so on. A variation on "atheists in foxholes."

Old 01-01-2016, 06:02 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Who is responsible for all the "bad stuff"
Without claiming to speak for RiverBird... If goodness is God, then the absence of goodness is the absence of God. QED.

And everyone is responsible for what they individually do or don't do. Neither responsibility nor credit nor blame gets passed off onto others or anything else.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 AM
bUU

11,881 posts, read 8,657,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think there's an idea that, as one gets older and closer to death, it's more likely that one will develop or enhance a god belief, heaven/hell, afterlife, and so on.
One of the best books on the religious nature of "the dual reality of being alive and having to die," is Love & Death: My Journey through the Valley of the Shadow by Forrest Church. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement