U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 06:10 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times

Advertisements

An atheist can pray. I pray, just not to any god. I pray when I walk in nature. The trails are my church. The wind is my god. I pray to myself for the answers to come and I pray for strength for my friends who are suffering. The crows, the butterflies, the ever changing skies are my answers. I really hate when someone asks me what time do I walk so they can join me for exercise and gossip. Walking by myself is the best thing I do every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 06:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Who is responsible for all the "bad stuff" of is that just conveniently swept under the rug.
Metaphorically, when we were "cast out of the garden," we became responsible for ourselves.

To think of good vs bad is dualistic thinking. The concept of God is Oneness. In my world, God doesn't have to "act." God is love, awareness, wholeness. Suffering is part of it all. I don't blame God for anything, nor do I have notions of granted prayers or a sense of separateness.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:20 AM

8,398 posts, read 9,891,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I've been a Christian since my college days. I was not raised in church. My faith has remained constant.

I believe that many people, who are now agnostic or atheists and were church goers may well have attended due to societal reasons. And not due to belief. As they got older they realized this and here we are. As I got older I came to understand the concept of free will. We all have the right to follow (or not) a belief in God.
True enough. I've never been a believer in any God like creatures but, now that I'm getting older I'm thinking church looks like fun. It's a nice social gathering and a great place to chat. I love talking about religion. Maybe I'll start going for fun, and of course free donuts, convo and coffee.
They advertise the events to draw in more members. I don't think the top church dude will care as long as I throw a few bucks in the basket.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
An atheist can pray. I pray, just not to any god. I pray when I walk in nature. The trails are my church. The wind is my god. I pray to myself for the answers to come and I pray for strength for my friends who are suffering. The crows, the butterflies, the ever changing skies are my answers. I really hate when someone asks me what time do I walk so they can join me for exercise and gossip. Walking by myself is the best thing I do every day.
Yep! I meditate and it's very effective.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
LOL. You read my mind. I only find religion when I'm having sex
Or barfing. lol

Old 01-01-2016, 07:29 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,525,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
True enough. I've never been a believer in any God like creatures but, now that I'm getting older I'm thinking church looks like fun. It's a nice social gathering and a great place to chat. I love talking about religion. Maybe I'll start going for fun, and of course free donuts, convo and coffee.
They advertise the events to draw in more members. I don't think the top church dude will care as long as I throw a few bucks in the basket.
You might try the Unitarian Church (see buu's previous posting) as most members are agnostics. As part of relocating after retirement, I plan to attend to meet like minded people and become part of the community.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:53 AM

15,243 posts, read 8,538,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem i would think is who do you talk to during sex ?
Really? I thought guys usually went through baseball stats or thought of Margaret Thatcher naked?

Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 AM

15,243 posts, read 8,538,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I don't think religious people actually talk much about religion to each other... It's taken as a given...

Old 01-01-2016, 07:58 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times
I'd much rather be skiing and just thinking about church..

than I would be being in church and thinking about skiing.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:07 AM

8,897 posts, read 2,765,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I like this ^^^ I'm an agnostic, although highly religious in my younger years. I also don't judge other people's beliefs. I like to look at it that we're all on a journey together, but maybe taking different paths to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement