U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2016, 09:08 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,055,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
True enough. I've never been a believer in any God like creatures but, now that I'm getting older I'm thinking church looks like fun. It's a nice social gathering and a great place to chat. I love talking about religion. Maybe I'll start going for fun, and of course free donuts, convo and coffee.
They advertise the events to draw in more members. I don't think the top church dude will care as long as I throw a few bucks in the basket.
That is one thing I enjoyed about going to church - the socialness of it.

But then, I realized that lots of the people are not following what they preach, are taught or whatever - so kind of disappointing.

I have sisters and friends that attend and help at our local catholic church weekly, but they are always complaining. Shouldn't cause that much frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 09:12 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,665,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
If there is a god, he really messed up the design of the human body.

He put the entertainment section way too close to the waste disposal system.
That's so you don't fall asleep while performing down there.

While some people get wrapped around the axel about the concept of using certain human words like God or other non English words, one still can't refute the concept of a "grand design" that was put in place to repeat the process of the continuation of life using genetics and specific mixtures of gases, liquids and solids for thousands of years that we are aware of.

While the process of continuous communication at a level beyond that of the physical realm remains controversial, one can't dispute that a higher level of intelligence must exist to support a history of repeatable life on this planet even after cataclysmic events that have been known to happen that threaten the survival of all species.

It's too bad that we are bound by our I.Q. which can create blind spots in our logic.

But, the positive side is that cognitive dissonance can lead to an enhanced sense of humor.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:30 AM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times
Sorry, Nicko, but the cosmological argument really is not very convincing and your simplistic statements of it are of even less value.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:50 AM

3,997 posts, read 3,220,385 times
Do not believe in God, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, or any of that nonsense. In fact Ive come to the realization that religion has cause nearly all the major strifes in this world, and that most crazies have a religious background of some sort.

Ive often wondered if there were no religion in this world, no worshiping made up dieties, if the world wouldnt be a kinder gentler place.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:11 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,665,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sorry, Nicko, but the cosmological argument really is not very convincing and your simplistic statements of it are of even less value.
I thought it had more to do with earthly biology, chemistry, and physics but I'm glad to read that it's simplistic for you to see how it fits into the time and matter continuum.
However, I'm not here to convert or impress anyone but only to express my opinion.
The truth is, we may never know the secrets that only faith and hope hold for humans unless the so called spiritual veil is lifted allowing us to see what was hidden.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,369 times
This is a very interesting thread. I'm 69 and at this stage in my life I don't know what I believe! Leaning towards atheist.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:16 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,271,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
As I've gotten older, I have found the beliefs I once had have definitely fizzled. I do believe in God, but I no longer believe he is all loving, all forgiving, etc.

Looking at the condition of the world, children being slaughtered and otherwise brutalized, the mass shootings, bombings, killings....... no, I don't believe that God really cares.

My so-called faith went out the window quite a few years ago. Very hard for me to believe in something I can't see or hear, but have no problem being angry and full of disbelief.
I feel the same!

Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 AM

3,985 posts, read 2,541,986 times
I am single, retired and live alone. I don't see people by going to work.
I live in the highest population county in the nation and I am a proud Christian and go to a church event almost everyday of the week.
Sat. Shepherd of the Hills regular church service 5:00 PM.
Sun. Grace Community 8:30 big fellowship group, then 10:30 a small church my best friend go's to.
Mon. Christ Powered Recovery a big group at Shepherd of the Hills.
Tue Vintage a big senors group, my favorite. at Shepherd.
Wed. a small group that meets in a persons home connected to Shepherd of the Hills.
Thur. no church
Fri morning bullitin stuffing at Shepherd and in the evening a singles group and Bible study at Grace.
There is absolutely no question that my Christianity, associating with Christians, and the many friends I have contributes greatly to my happiness.

Old 01-01-2016, 10:48 AM

7,298 posts, read 15,353,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
An atheist can pray. I pray, just not to any god. I pray when I walk in nature. The trails are my church. The wind is my god. I pray to myself for the answers to come and I pray for strength for my friends who are suffering. The crows, the butterflies, the ever changing skies are my answers. I really hate when someone asks me what time do I walk so they can join me for exercise and gossip. Walking by myself is the best thing I do every day.
Out here in the Pacific Northwest, one of the least "church-going" parts of the country, that is known as The Church of the Blue Dome - just getting out into the woods, along the rivers, out at the beach and getting away from people and being part of nature.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 AM

4,121 posts, read 4,697,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Fungus View Post
I have met very few people at that age who are agnostic or atheist. I am personally an agnostic and don't believe in any religion.

Is your belief in God and religion stronger now that you are older? Any Atheists or agnostics here?
I don't engage people in religious conversations. I very rarely even ask what one may believe in. So I have no idea how many people are religious or not.*

Religion and politics are two topics I avoid like the plague. I'm not going to change anyone's mind, and they're not going to change mine. So why bring it up?

* Having said this, lots of people on Facebook post religious and/or God related posts. So I actually do have some feel for who is religious, and who isn't. But it doesn't matter to me, I don't judge them one way or the other, and I don't reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement