U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:16 PM

393 posts, read 264,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Anyone have any first hand experience to share, or just general conversation on the topic of course, on investing in peer to peer lending for income?

An article that I think provides good oversight on the topic.

Why income investors should consider peer-to-peer lending - MarketWatch

I did a bit of research on the topic in the past but shied away because of the diversification aspect but this article mentions the Lending Club allows one to buy "notes" in increments as low as $25 to spread one's investment between many different portions of loans.
You can lose your investment much easier then if you were in CEF's, div paying stocks or something like that. You are basically loaning money to someone who may or may not be able to pay it back, intentionally or unintentionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:32 PM

2,056 posts, read 2,493,595 times
Lending out one's hard earned money (or worse, one's retirement money) and lending it out to strangers sounds like a profoundly bad idea. Banks do it because they loan other people's money (yours and mine) to strangers, but they make darned sure that the collateral is more than the loan amount.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 AM

72,780 posts, read 72,607,792 times
these are strangers that banks will not loan obviously since they have already demonstrated an inability to pay ,or a want to pay or both .

Old Today, 06:32 PM

4,237 posts, read 1,099,645 times
So I guess this isn't a great idea?

Old Today, 06:41 PM

12,342 posts, read 15,309,632 times
A popular financial speaker commented that banks will lend money to a dead dog. So anyone who can't get a bank loan must be a truly bad credit risk.

Old Today, 07:29 PM

24,042 posts, read 17,897,365 times
I used Lending Club for a personal loan years ago. The interest rate was much higher for a similar loan than what my local credit union would give me.

IMO, Lending Club is going to be used by people who either can't or don't want to entangle a high interest rate, high chance for default loan with their "main" creditors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or