U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 PM

25,971 posts, read 32,970,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
I will be eligible to retire this year, not mandatory though, and I am contemplating it. I will almost be able to match my current lifestyle but may have to cutback a bit. So in essence, the money issue is not a problem.

My quandary is "what the hell do I do all day"? I play golf, but can only play a few times a week before my back gives me problems. I like to fish but would be bored if I fished everyday. I like hiking alone, but the solitude after a while becomes downright lonely. I have a few other hobbies that are frivolous in nature that I enjoy but worry that they would also lose their luster.

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and family and they love me and the idea of spending more time with them is appealing but too much and I think I may end up driving them crazy.

I have been thinking about some volunteer work but can not think of a cause that would get me excited enough to donate my valuable time. Does anybody do any volunteer work that they enjoy?

I have been thinking about starting some kind of business venture that is far removed from what I do now. This sounds good to me. I like having a purpose and making things happen. Only problem with that is after over 25 years as civil servant my skills are limited to cutting the lawn and cleaning the pool. Is San Diego in need of another pool guy or landscaper (rhetorical)?

I think retirement will provide me with a new found freedom but I also worry that it is a countdown to death.

So in short:

What the hell do I do all day?
Does anybody do any volunteer work?
Has anybody started a business?
Seriously? Holy crap I am at least 6 years from retirement and cannot wait until I can actually get stuff done instead of waiting until long holiday weekends to work on my "to do" list.

I like to run or do some sort of cardio every day, in addition to 2 or 3 gym workouts a week. Hitting the gym every day would be just dreamy! I could easily spend 2-4 hours in my yard, each week, doing maintenance. Cleaning my house doesn't get done nearly enough either. Taking my car to the shop for maintenance without taking leave from work? Yay! Would love to be able to wash my car weekly too. Seeing a movie every couple of weeks would be wonderful - I barely have time to see 1 or 2 a year. I have enough stuff to do in my house, project-wise, to keep me busy for a long time. I have so little time to do anything now, that the thought of retirement just brings a smile to my face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:38 PM

1,433 posts, read 720,135 times
OP...you didn't say whether you liked your current job or not (sounds like not) but that is a huge factor.

If you love your job that's one thing as people who do aren't doing it just as a job...they actually look forward to going to work (but these people seem to be very rare)....if you're just meandering away the hours feeling like you are wasting your life or bored at your job why on earth would you stay??? To copy an old saying "being bored & free at home is better than being bored and trapped at work".

Sounds like your fear of a non structured, carefree lifestyle may be scaring you off from leaving and you're staying just because it is what you know. But with that kind of mindset you'll never make the jump because of the what if's......also....do you want to wait until you may not be in the best of health or medical issues crop up? Will it be too late then to enjoy it if you can't get around or are limited??

I retired at 50 and it was the best thing I've ever done.....no stress now, getting much more done and more exercise than I ever did before and the one priceless thing - freedom!!

Old 01-03-2016, 11:49 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,519 times
I think it's a wonderful thing to retire while you still have health and youth to enjoy it, if you have the available finances to do so. Beware starting a business that ties up all your time, energy, and resources. There's something about working for yourself, you tend to never be "off work" as it's always on your mind and a whole pile of responsibility. However, if it would be something like doing appraisals like someone mentioned above, and you'd be able to pick and choose how much to do, that sounds good.

My regret is we've passed our really good healthy days and can't get that back as we age and get ready for retirement. I wish we'd had your choice.

Good luck figuring it out. To me, it sounds like you fear retirement is a step to the end. It doesn't have to be. You can make it whatever you want.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:43 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
Like many have said..........being able to retire healthy is the greatest gift especially if you can do it at a young age.

On the side business, it doesn't matter if there are a hundred landscapers or pool cleaners, the percentage of those who are courteous, respectful and willing to answer a call and show up is a lot smaller than you think.

Good luck and retire now and reinvent yourself!

Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
I am just coming of an 11 day vacation where I went nowhere. I got projects done, took afternoon naps, played golf when I felt like it and had no schedule.

It was heaven and I can not wait for this to be permanant. But that's 9 years away, those who have the option of doing it sooner are very very lucky.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 AM

27 posts, read 25,210 times
I will give you my perspective as I am in my mid 50's and retired.

What do I do all day? Whatever I want!!! If I want to sleep in I do that. Maybe I will go to the gym. Go play at my local card room. GO to the movies. Plus me and my wife love to travel. Plan many many vacations. See the world.

Not sure why so many feel this impulse to "start a business." Starting your own business takes a lot of time, effort , and money. Working for someone else you might work 40-50 hours per week. Starting your own business will see you "working" 60-80 hours per week and perhaps losing money. Is that what you want in your 50's? Not me. For what? So I can say I am the "boss?" Good luck with that.

Another thing. If other family members or close friends realize you are 50 and retired they will figure out you have money and will look to mooch off you in a variety of ways. Like Nancy REagan use to say ....JUST SAY NO!!!!
You will need to make your money last for the next 35-40 years. No small feat. Also be careful about being too philanthropic. Charity starts at home. Be stingy and enjoy life. You've earned it!

Old 01-04-2016, 06:50 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrluckycharms View Post
I will give you my perspective as I am in my mid 50's and retired.

What do I do all day? Whatever I want!!! If I want to sleep in I do that. Maybe I will go to the gym. Go play at my local card room. GO to the movies. Plus me and my wife love to travel. Plan many many vacations. See the world.

Not sure why so many feel this impulse to "start a business." Starting your own business takes a lot of time, effort , and money. Working for someone else you might work 40-50 hours per week. Starting your own business will see you "working" 60-80 hours per week and perhaps losing money. Is that what you want in your 50's? Not me. For what? So I can say I am the "boss?" Good luck with that.

Another thing. If other family members or close friends realize you are 50 and retired they will figure out you have money and will look to mooch off you in a variety of ways. Like Nancy REagan use to say ....JUST SAY NO!!!!
You will need to make your money last for the next 35-40 years. No small feat. Also be careful about being too philanthropic. Charity starts at home. Be stingy and enjoy life. You've earned it!
That's right about starting one's own business! Although I've never done it, I have observed some close friends who did. People talk about being slaves to the job, but there is no slavery quite like running one's own business. Sure, eventually you might evolve to the point where you have a manager you can trust not to steal from you and you can have days off, take little trips, etc. But getting to that point is arduous to say the least.

It's amazing to me that people throw out that suggestion with the same casualness with which they would suggest joining a book club or something.

The only people who should be starting their own business are people who already know that trade or business thoroughly because they've already worked in it and who see a niche for that proposed business in the marketplace, and who have the suitable and appropriate temperament and personality.

Notice I am not denying that many people have made a success of their own business. It is indeed right for some people. But Mrluckycharms is correct to underline the difficulties involved.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 AM

186 posts, read 117,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
My wife and I retired at 45 and 42. Been in retirement for almost 6 years now. Our only regret? We wish we retired even earlier. But we couldn't swing it financially. My point and experience is given our independent personalities/interests/self starter attitude in life, we find plenty to do. We each do lots of things together but have plenty of independent things we do on our own. We can honestly say we don't know where the time goes. I like to keep lots of variety in a day that's often not planned and sometimes that calls for just sitting down relaxing with a cup of tea and watching a hummingbird at the feeder for a while. Or going to Las Vegas for a few days and getting to bed when the sun comes up after watching some bands. Personally, I don't know how people can be bored in retirement if a little effort is put into it all but everyone is different. Reading your post and given you have concerns about how you will spend your time which I think is a common thing for many after leaving a structured environment where everything is mapped out for one time wise, I'd take that as a bit of a red flag to figure out what you want to do first if you have such concerns how to spend your time. Trust your gut. Our gut told us many, many years before retirement was "can't wait to get out of working the grind because we have so many things we want to do with our time otherwise". And our gut was right. I'd trust yours and decide what you want to do before you pull the plug. And always remember.....if you get "bored" in life after you pull the plug and things aren't quite going as you envision after retiring, there are numerous volunteer and basic job options for you to take to pass the time if you find it necessary for structure. And if you have a more independent streak and prefer to do things outside the structured world of a work life, look into discovering new hobbies and interests. Nothing is set in stone.
I do not even understand how this is possible.
You must have made a huge amount of money while working.

I doubt your situation is a normal one.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:15 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,046,206 times
Maybe take a few years off doing nothing. You might want to go back to work.

I retired in my 40s. Got all sorts of things out of my system. My sisters ask me why aren't you doing XYZ anymore. Me - i'm done with that. Why do you have to keep doing the same thing all the time?

The last thing I did was get involved in animal rescue. Now that I just can't quit until the last little pooch has crossed the bridge! So choose your hobbies, goals, whatever wisely. Don't be tied down unless that is what you want.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,955,455 times
There is a huge difference in having a small self owned business when you are retired versus not being retired.....................not retired means you are a shark in the water constantly trying to stay ahead to put food on the table and sustain a monetary flow.

Being retired allows you the freedom to chose your hours, who you want to offer your services to and maybe if it is a pool cleaning gig only take on four pools, one for each week of the month.

Warning though, if you treat people with respect, always answer their calls and do good work........you will be overwhelmed with opportunity.

My two cents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or