Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 10:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times

Advertisements

I will be eligible to retire this year, not mandatory though, and I am contemplating it. I will almost be able to match my current lifestyle but may have to cutback a bit. So in essence, the money issue is not a problem.

My quandary is "what the hell do I do all day"? I play golf, but can only play a few times a week before my back gives me problems. I like to fish but would be bored if I fished everyday. I like hiking alone, but the solitude after a while becomes downright lonely. I have a few other hobbies that are frivolous in nature that I enjoy but worry that they would also lose their luster.

Don't get me wrong, I love my wife and family and they love me and the idea of spending more time with them is appealing but too much and I think I may end up driving them crazy.

I have been thinking about some volunteer work but can not think of a cause that would get me excited enough to donate my valuable time. Does anybody do any volunteer work that they enjoy?

I have been thinking about starting some kind of business venture that is far removed from what I do now. This sounds good to me. I like having a purpose and making things happen. Only problem with that is after over 25 years as civil servant my skills are limited to cutting the lawn and cleaning the pool. Is San Diego in need of another pool guy or landscaper (rhetorical)?

I think retirement will provide me with a new found freedom but I also worry that it is a countdown to death.

So in short:

What the hell do I do all day?
Does anybody do any volunteer work?
Has anybody started a business?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 10:39 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,630 times
Wow, there are a lot of "buts" in that posting.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:32 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,292 times
There are numerous options for volunteering....hospitals, nature centers, visitor information centers, museums, sports venues, literacy centers, Boys Club/Girls Club, school districts, Assisted Living facilities, performing arts centers, convention centers, Red Cross, Salvation Army, Goodwill, AARP always looking for volunteers. I'm sure in the SD area you can find something. Google a few ideas specific to your area and see what you come up with. Volunteerspot.com may have some once and done type of volunteer needs. AARP often lists ideas for engaging retirement options.

Get a 2nd part time job~with skill sets you can probably walk into something that needs your expertise (start ups, small businesses, the golf course pro shop, a bait and tackle shop, sporting goods store). Substitute teach (flexible and can be rewarding), coach a sport (golf at high school level or academies, learn to golf classes). Drive courtesy cars for a dealership, do UBER, look into a company that needs courier service. Take up a new hobby; photography, foreign language, beer or wine making, something you would love to learn~perhaps at a community college, extension service or community continuing education.

Make sure you have the funds to cover medical insurance until you reach the age for medicare~that's what I was most concerned about when contemplating early retirement. Thankfully, my pension more than covers the monthly premium.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:38 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
Did you consider inflation? Costs could triple by the end of your retirement?

I would consider starting a business. If you could get a job working for someone that has a business similar to what you might want to do. This will give you a better insight into running a business. Maybe you could find someone retiring in a few years and you could buy their business.

I think you will have a hard time getting back into the workforce so make sure you will be happy leaving your job.

Filling the day for another 40 or 50 years could be a problem. Can you take a leave of absence? Maybe this would let you test drive retirement and go back to work if it does not work.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:20 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,467,054 times
My wife and I retired at 45 and 42. Been in retirement for almost 6 years now. Our only regret? We wish we retired even earlier. But we couldn't swing it financially. My point and experience is given our independent personalities/interests/self starter attitude in life, we find plenty to do. We each do lots of things together but have plenty of independent things we do on our own. We can honestly say we don't know where the time goes. I like to keep lots of variety in a day that's often not planned and sometimes that calls for just sitting down relaxing with a cup of tea and watching a hummingbird at the feeder for a while. Or going to Las Vegas for a few days and getting to bed when the sun comes up after watching some bands. Personally, I don't know how people can be bored in retirement if a little effort is put into it all but everyone is different. Reading your post and given you have concerns about how you will spend your time which I think is a common thing for many after leaving a structured environment where everything is mapped out for one time wise, I'd take that as a bit of a red flag to figure out what you want to do first if you have such concerns how to spend your time. Trust your gut. Our gut told us many, many years before retirement was "can't wait to get out of working the grind because we have so many things we want to do with our time otherwise". And our gut was right. I'd trust yours and decide what you want to do before you pull the plug. And always remember.....if you get "bored" in life after you pull the plug and things aren't quite going as you envision after retiring, there are numerous volunteer and basic job options for you to take to pass the time if you find it necessary for structure. And if you have a more independent streak and prefer to do things outside the structured world of a work life, look into discovering new hobbies and interests. Nothing is set in stone.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:23 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I think 50 is too young to retire. I think you'll get bored quickly.

So I think I'd just do a 2nd career. If you have a base income from a pension you're in a great position to take risk doing a new gig. What do you like to do?

Perhaps you could start by working for free in any endeavor that interests you. San Diego must have lots of opportunities for fun in the sun types of business.

Old 01-03-2016, 12:40 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,247,261 times
I retired at 48 and there were some boring days, especially during the winter.

At some point I decided to try working again because I thought I wanted to keep my mind busy. Eventually, a job fell in my lap and I'm working again at 50 going on 51 but I'm ready to leave the workforce again.

+paycheck is great for some spending money
+keeping my mind busy
+socializing with new people

-don't have as much time for relaxing
-no time to volunteer with master gardeners
-didn't have a chance to look into master naturalist
-didn't have enough money to build the cobra kit car I've always wanted
-sedantary life style from working again is not so nice anymore
-office politics sucks worse after being absent from it for 2+ years
-goal setting at work sucks too

the key to retiring early is being able to enjoy life (as you define enjoyment) and not working to within an inch of the end of your life so your heirs can enjoy the hardwork you've performed for your whole life.

Last edited by gunslinger256; 01-03-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 01-03-2016, 03:55 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I think I keep on working if I were you, at least until 55 and see.
For me, I might be bored, but I will do something local, definitely not put up with the long commute. But right now I need to do some long term traveling first. Have a taste of my freedom.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Why worry about something with such a simple solution? Just keep working your present job.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,543,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I think 50 is too young to retire. I think you'll get bored quickly.

Everyone is different. I just retired and between my hobbies, two new interests and doing daily stuff, I really doubt that I will have time to volunteer. But I suppose I'll make time to volunteer at stuff that I enjoy. It is all about doing what you really want to do.

As someone said in a previous thread, just float for a while and see what presents itself. Worst case scenario, start a second career (a yuck to me).

Time for a three month "vacation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement