Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 04:55 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Suddenly it occurred to me in the elevator one day, that there was no dog walker in my highrise. Of three huge buildings. After researching for a week or so, I gave my notice and within two months built my business and was living off of it independently.

I DO caution you, I had businesses before and knew how to be a dog walker/pet sitter. And my corporate job was product manager which is just like running a business.

Many years now I've ALWAYS had one or two high volume clients who each pay around 28K per year for PET CARE! That's besides all my other regular clients. I do thousands of dog walks per year.
You had a good idea. What might be a better one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 06:45 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,280,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I am "eary retired" due to being disabled. I have about 1-2 hours a day that I actually have NOTHING to do. ONLY 1-2 hours! I DO have a small income so that takes time, but other time is used up doing something.
I rarely have "down time". I am always busy, so for a man who "has nothing to do", I sure as heck don't have the time to get accomplished all I HAVE to get done!
I pretty much try to keep up with the housework as MOH works two jobs. But, That is not all i have to do, so it doesn't always get the complete treatment it should, sometimes I give it a "lick and a promise". Clean enough to be healthy, messy enough to be happy.
They say " if you want something done, give it to the busiest person you know, they will get it done".

You are right: ~Volunteer at something. I volunteer at the local food pantry when I have time. If you are a higher level business/technical experienced guy volunteer to teach the local unions/college or for SCORE.

~Take a part time job doing something.anywhere anything if you have to. Then you will have something to do, and won't have to "cut back a bit" as you are used to spending what you previously/currently earn.

~ start reading a series of books from the library. Volunteer to read to the blind or children at the library. Have a "reading hour" for children to help have a place for parents to send their children after school and cut their day care expenses a day or two a week.

~play your golf when you feel like it.

~get another hobby...stamp collecting, coin collecting, model trains, building plastic models etc.You can find one!

~ take up or expand your gardening skills, plan to learn to home can your goods for yourself and family for winter,or to give away, that will keep you busy .Even if you are in an apartment, get a plot or two in the local garden plot.

~volunteer at the local school or town board, attend meetings and learn the ways and means. Perhaps instead of complaining about the cost of your taxes you can work on and better understand them!

~If you are good at repairing things, open an inexpensive rent shop to repair things, you don't have to charge and arm and a leg, just parts and a reasonable hourly wage.

~ offer to be a paid consultant/instructor part time for your type of employers across the board in your state or region.

~you WILL "find things to do", and won't be so bored!

I rarely have an hour to myself, have about 1 hour computer time a day,and am always going out to do something, though I really have "no place to go"!

You will adapt.
BEst of luck in your "happy" retirement!

Pretty active for a disabled guy

Old 01-07-2016, 07:18 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
"...going out 40 years , a 50/50 portfolio could have been counted on to provide a safe withdrawal rate of 3% inflation adjusted . 5 million would provide about 150k pre tax plus social security and pension..."

Just don't spend any money you don't have to spend; that's a much simpler formula!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:20 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
but the question still remains , how much can i spend from this big ole pile of money . the expense side of a balance sheet is one thing , the income side is quite another .

Old 01-07-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
but the question still remains how much can i spend from the big ole pile of money
Depends how long you live, which can't be known. Learn to love thrift!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:23 AM

which is why we plan out to 95 typically when running scenario's .

historically 96% of the time you ended with more then you started following those withdrawal rates as long as you stick to success rates of 90% or higher so going longer isn't usually a problem .

dying with to much unspent can be the problem if conditions are not worst case .

Old 01-07-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I think the conclusion of studies about cognitive function plummeting, unhappiness, the health of people failing after they retire, etc, have to be viewed cautiously because they might not take into account the many people who are forced into retirement because of health reasons.

The OP did post this in the middle of the thread in regards to their job:

I think retiring at a certain age and if it's right or wrong can't be generalized by studies to determine if it's a good or bad thing. Way to many variables. Some need lots of stimulation, busy schedules, etc. to be happy.
There seems to be an assumption that everyone is "stimulated" in the workplace; some of us are stagnating in our jobs! I, for one, feel much more alive outside the office.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I am "eary retired" due to being disabled. I have about 1-2 hours a day that I actually have NOTHING to do. ONLY 1-2 hours! I DO have a small income so that takes time, but other time is used up doing something.
I rarely have "down time". I am always busy, so for a man who "has nothing to do", I sure as heck don't have the time to get accomplished all I HAVE to get done!
I pretty much try to keep up with the housework as MOH works two jobs. But, That is not all i have to do, so it doesn't always get the complete treatment it should, sometimes I give it a "lick and a promise". Clean enough to be healthy, messy enough to be happy.
They say " if you want something done, give it to the busiest person you know, they will get it done".

You are right: ~Volunteer at something. I volunteer at the local food pantry when I have time. If you are a higher level business/technical experienced guy volunteer to teach the local unions/college or for SCORE.

~Take a part time job doing something.anywhere anything if you have to. Then you will have something to do, and won't have to "cut back a bit" as you are used to spending what you previously/currently earn.

~ start reading a series of books from the library. Volunteer to read to the blind or children at the library. Have a "reading hour" for children to help have a place for parents to send their children after school and cut their day care expenses a day or two a week.

~play your golf when you feel like it.

~get another hobby...stamp collecting, coin collecting, model trains, building plastic models etc.You can find one!

~ take up or expand your gardening skills, plan to learn to home can your goods for yourself and family for winter,or to give away, that will keep you busy .Even if you are in an apartment, get a plot or two in the local garden plot.

~volunteer at the local school or town board, attend meetings and learn the ways and means. Perhaps instead of complaining about the cost of your taxes you can work on and better understand them!

~If you are good at repairing things, open an inexpensive rent shop to repair things, you don't have to charge and arm and a leg, just parts and a reasonable hourly wage.

~ offer to be a paid consultant/instructor part time for your type of employers across the board in your state or region.

~you WILL "find things to do", and won't be so bored!

I rarely have an hour to myself, have about 1 hour computer time a day,and am always going out to do something, though I really have "no place to go"!

You will adapt.
BEst of luck in your "happy" retirement!

Sounds like you could be working; just sayin'!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:34 AM

ha ha ha ha

Old 01-07-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
There seems to be an assumption that everyone is "stimulated" in the workplace; some of us are stagnating in our jobs! I, for one, feel much more alive outside the office.
many folks who are able to retire don't because they like their jobs so much better when they are there on their own terms instead of having to be there .

i am retired but enjoy doing technical training two days a month on a consultant basis .

i find i enjoy the interaction of just being with other people a nice touch more than the money . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement