U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
We have used airbnb about 10 times (1 to 2 days each) all in Washington state and were not charged any taxes. The same goes with VRBO which we had rented a dozen time (Hawaii, Florida, Puerto Rico and abroad) with no taxes. It is possible that some state/city require the taxes, and it is also possible that this depends on whether the owners report their rental income.
I pulled up 4 houses/condos at random in Seattle and 4 on Wakiki, and all 8 showed taxes - 9.6% in Seattle, 13.9% on Wakiki - so yes you're apparently lucking out and hitting places that don't collect a tax. That was on VRBO, here's their guideline on occupancy taxes.
Airbnb collects and remits taxes themselves for some locations; in all others the owner is responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:05 PM

890 posts, read 676,459 times
If you enter this world, make sure you have a top notch review of your insurance policies designed to protect you against the risk of new perils you'll be exposed to with this kind of rental activity.

Old 01-04-2016, 05:32 PM

5,371 posts, read 9,856,251 times
We're fans of airbnb..as renters. As hosts you can select your guests..

One host told me airbnb supplies the insurance to you as inclusion in their fees. We've had great experiences renting from airbnb...none of the hosts have mentioned any problems..but I'd check with some hosts to make sure thst's so...

We've met only super hosts and had interesting conversations and appreciate their guiding us to local attractions and restaurants. It's quite personal and friendly.

$30/night seems quite low..are there other airbnb rentals in your ares you can compare your room to?

Rooms with ensuite, private baths are higher priced...

Old 01-08-2016, 07:36 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,369,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Please research news articles concerning the uprising neighbors are having about airbnb. You may find that the hassle isn't worth it. And the idea of different people coming and going, who will have different needs, may very well keep you running more than you want to. You'll have to clean up each time a guest leaves and get it ready for another. Much easier, imo, to have long-term tenants.

I wouldn't want to do it, and I know my neighbors wouldn't want me to. Vacationers have a way of not caring about the area. And since it sounds like you plan to be in that spot a long time, being a good neighbor is important. You simply can't vet airbnb'ers the way you can long term tenants.
As a huge fan/user of Airbnb, I find your comments offensive. I may be on 'vacation' but I treat these properties as I would want mine treated. I'm neat, quiet, courteous-especially to neighbors.

To the OP, 30/night will invite the undesirables (that's cheaper than a rent by the hour motel) and would be a huge red flag to me as an Airbnb user.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
As a huge fan/user of Airbnb, I find your comments offensive. I may be on 'vacation' but I treat these properties as I would want mine treated. I'm neat, quiet, courteous-especially to neighbors.

To the OP, 30/night will invite the undesirables (that's cheaper than a rent by the hour motel) and would be a huge red flag to me as an Airbnb user.
Not all people are as courteous as you are:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/10/yo...next-door.html

FWIW - in addition to the zoning - insurance and similar issues mentioned above - there may be mortgage problems as well:

Airbnb and FHA Condominium ApprovalReadySetLoan | ReadySetLoan

Even if there are no direct problems with a mortgage - there may be indirect ones if your homeowners' policy doesn't meet mortgage company requirements.

BTW - in terms of insurance - Airbnb only purports to offer excess liability insurance:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/06/yo...isks.html?_r=0

It doesn't seem to have anything to do with coverage for the house itself (although it might - I haven't read the policy). So - if some undesirable yahoos (and I think you will see at least some at $30/night) do something stupid (like operating a short term meth lab) and your house blows up/burns down - you are SOL (assuming you have a regular homeowners' policy which doesn't cover the use of your house for transient rentals - or any rentals at all). BTW - landlord policies generally cost more than regular owner occupied homeowner' policies. The increased cost may wind up eating up a fair amount/all of any rental income.

Of course - the presence of any insurance policy doesn't prevent a homeowner from being sued by someone injured on the premises. Any claims for coverage that a homeowner might have are between the homeowner and the insurance company. One mighty important aspect of homeowners' insurance is the insurer's duty to defend an insured if he/she is sued (even if a claim is without merit - it can cost a lot to defend it - lawyers are expensive). It's not clear that Airbnb will be defending these homeowners. And - if the homeowners' own company doesn't cover the claim (because it doesn't cover rentals) - then it doesn't have a duty to defend the homeowner either (at least under Florida law). BTW - good luck representing yourself in any dispute between you and your own insurance company - much less Airbnb. Especially Airbnb - which seems to have a lack of respect for local laws/rules.

FWIW - in addition to zoning - various states and localities have special safety rules when it comes to places that offer short term rentals - like hotels. Like rules relating to fire exits - sprinkler systems - etc. If someone is injured/dies as a result of a violation of a rule like this - it can be pretty much a case of strict liability and/or a case where punitive damages (almost never covered by any insurance) might be imposed. IOW - a real mess.

BTW - I don't know what this has to do with retirement. Except that if there are retired people in the neighborhood - they have more time to complain to authorities about things they don't like . Or that retired people may think that becoming a part-time amateur innkeeper may be a good way to pick up "pin money" in retirement. I think the second idea is misguided (if you're going to run a business - learn how to do it right). Robyn

Old 01-08-2016, 07:34 PM

662 posts, read 476,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post

Robyn beat me to it. But here's another: Oakland Airbnb apartment trashed in New Year's eve party - Business Insider

Old 01-12-2016, 02:24 PM

1,039 posts, read 774,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We've used AirBNB once for a 5-night stay and we were charged the 11% local hotel tax.
We've used Homeaway and VRBO dozens of times and have always been charged local taxes.
Does not mean owner paid them

Old 01-12-2016, 02:30 PM

1,039 posts, read 774,133 times
I own a condo for a few years. I don't really rent it out much. But I put a listing up on VRBO at a high price. I turn down 90% of applicants. But I usually rent it 1-2 weeks in summer to help cover maint. So far I have had 4 guests over three years and all were super nice and place was mint and neighbors loved them.

I only use my place on weekends and not every weekend. So in a 16 week summer I would use it tops 15-20 days. My neighbors are there full time doing massive wear and tear on property and causing issues. I told them I only do it at most once a summer and it just goes to your maint.

I had folks in complex offer to clean unit, open door, manage unit for a fee and they all want me to rent it out more so they can get a cut. The opposite reaction I expected. And even worse two other units started doing it. One is a 75 year old widow whose daughter lives nearby. She got two weeks last summer, spent two weeks at daughters house and cleared 4k. Annual maint is 6k for full year so she covered 2/3s in two weeks.

So far in my complex only folks who have done it is to help with condo fees and costs. No one is making money.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 PM

1,576 posts, read 2,198,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
We're fans of airbnb..as renters. As hosts you can select your guests..

One host told me airbnb supplies the insurance to you as inclusion in their fees. We've had great experiences renting from airbnb...none of the hosts have mentioned any problems..but I'd check with some hosts to make sure thst's so...

We've met only super hosts and had interesting conversations and appreciate their guiding us to local attractions and restaurants. It's quite personal and friendly.

Last Christimas my daughter rented a very cute, small cabin thru Airbnb in Olympia National Park, Washington. Room for 2 people only. Very cute. $45.00/night. An older women rents it out and has regular customers throughout the year ... mostly hikers and outdoor enthusiasts. She has a house 5 minutes away. She had tons of online reviews, all positive.

Old 01-19-2016, 10:04 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,197,502 times
Op I am a Airbnb host and I will tell you it is a full time job in th sense of cleaning, communication and managing guest's expectations. Also you will have the added cost of furniture, linens and everything else that comes in regards to housing a guest. I would make sure to research thought before getting into this and begin with one listing at a time. Research what other hosts are charging in your area, if to low you are inviting cheaper guest that will not take care of your property.

You will have to collect local and state taxes if Air doesn't for your area. You also will have to get extra insurance to cover short term rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or