U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:17 AM

7,634 posts, read 4,693,202 times

Advertisements

Have you done this or are you thinking about it?

I'm not even sure it would be possible due to eldercare issues up north (another topic), but I'm thinking of buying our retirement house in AZ now and starting to move there.

I was about to type, "The problem is DH loves his job" but that's not really a problem, is it? He should do that for as long as he loves it. He turns 65 this month.

He's got a plane, he could fly in on weekends. He would miss me terribly, though. He's never been one of those "Oh, good, the wife is out of town" kind of guys.

Still, if you did this and made it work I'd love to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 AM

3,299 posts, read 1,871,655 times
How long until he joins you in AZ?

Old 01-04-2016, 09:31 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,313,067 times
I did exactly that. In fact he didn't see the house until after we closed. He wasn't going to retire for another year and a half.--he also loved his job. I was going to use that time to remodel our retirement home, and prep our other for sale. It didn't work out that way. He enjoyed himself here so much, the first week after closing,that when he went back to work he put in for retirement. We spent the next year turning this into our dream home and decluttering and moving our household.

Last edited by funisart; 01-04-2016 at 10:36 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 09:44 AM

71,517 posts, read 71,694,121 times
i would never be allowed to be left alone without adult supervision ..

Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 AM

890 posts, read 676,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I'm not even sure it would be possible due to eldercare issues up north (another topic), but I'm thinking of buying our retirement house in AZ now and starting to move there.

I was about to type, "The problem is DH loves his job" but that's not really a problem, is it? He should do that for as long as he loves it. He turns 65 this month.

He's got a plane, he could fly in on weekends. He would miss me terribly, though. He's never been one of those "Oh, good, the wife is out of town" kind of guys.

When I read your post, I had to ask myself if this was my wife who had discovered this forum and whether your husband was me. Buying a retirement home in AZ is on our radar screen but the timing thing hasn't been resolved and is a source of conflict.

The clue was it wasn't me because I don't own a plane and am a few years younger. But everything else seems so much like us that it's surreal.

I'll have to read more once I have some time and jump in with some sharing.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:03 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,845,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Rothbear did that. She and her husband made it work. I am sure once she see your thread she will chime in.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:54 PM

7,634 posts, read 4,693,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post
When I read your post, I had to ask myself if this was my wife who had discovered this forum and whether your husband was me. Buying a retirement home in AZ is on our radar screen but the timing thing hasn't been resolved and is a source of conflict.
That's funny!

I'm trying to not make it a source of conflict. I can't see what good fighting about it would do. I don't want to rush him. I also have another house here I need to sell first.

But after seven years of retirement planning, I'm feeling the need to move ahead.

Quote:
The clue was it wasn't me because I don't own a plane and am a few years younger.
Well, if you've got a pilot's license and are in the Bay Area, maybe he'd share. Heaven knows he doesn't fly it much now.

Old 01-04-2016, 07:44 PM

4,360 posts, read 3,696,311 times
Can he do some work from AZ. Maybe one week AZ and the next up North. Or long weekends?

Old 01-04-2016, 10:22 PM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
And why would you want to leave the Bay area for Arizona? I guess COL would be one reason but as long as Mr Fluffy is still working, why move?

Old 01-04-2016, 11:32 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,132,331 times
Buy the house now and go there on vacations. Lots of AZ retirement homes sit empty for part of the year. You could also rent it out during the winter when the place is crawling with snowbirds. House prices are starting to climb again in AZ, so now is the time to buy. There are a lot of ways you can make this work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or