U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:44 PM
JRR

3,685 posts, read 2,229,421 times

Advertisements

My feeling was happy to have my spousal benefit adding to our cash flow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:57 PM

5,880 posts, read 2,385,088 times
Surprise!! What can I say..My X= finally did the right thing in his failing years and actually contacted SS authorities to advise them I am the only one who could or should receive his SS benefits...

I say surprise..because he never paid any support for his kids for over decades..and made me work full time to pay our own way....In other words//Dead beat Dad ...tho I took the high road ( like is too short) and never kept my kids from their dad..however..they learned..just what their dad was about..learned for themselves..no need to educate them from my view..and yes...they loved their Daddy..but sure learned and yes accepted his warts/negatives...but hey...Anyway..neither of us re-married..thus..Voila..recipient of the pittance SS offered...even had to travel down their face to face to apply with all original copies or Marriage/divorce/and all the other things ...Yikes!!

As I said..Surprised..because my attitude for over 25 years was..I made out without him..why would I bother/ would it be worth it I'm my declining years???

Dead beat dad, who somehow tried to make up for his failures of the past 30 years!! I say..little too late for me..But at least my boys had a relationship...with full knowledge ...some things they respected..many NOT SO MUCH..but hey...Life must go on!!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 PM

5,263 posts, read 3,025,579 times
The joy was not having to go to work.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:33 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
I'm 67 but haven't yet started drawing my SS. I draw a pension from two employers. Every month when my bank notifies me that the deposits have come through, it's a wonderful feeling. Even after 4+ years of retirement I'm still amazed that I can collect money without working.
But then I loved my last job so much that I used to say I would have done it for free...

Old 01-04-2016, 11:52 PM

1,165 posts, read 652,009 times
At first I was nervous it wouldn't really show up in the account. On the appointed day I checked and it hadn't according to the phone auto. svc. So I called and she checked further and there it was, but the phone system hadn't been updated quick enough. Anyway, I was relieved that it was actually happening. I see too many people these days not really following through or doing their jobs. SS so far has been amazingly efficient.

As I watch my and DH's amounts trickle in and stack up (I don't need to live off them just yet) it is a happy feeling. We're saving them up for something later. Our money comes only after a lot of hard work, so this feels like the easiest way I've ever had money come in! Doesn't matter that it's not a fortune, it still feels nice.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:02 AM

996 posts, read 864,373 times
The social security deposit was kindof a non-event. It was the standard amount for what I had contributed over the years -- same as anybody else whose profile matched mine.

What I'm looking forward to is my first Required Minimum Distribution from my IRA, which used to be my Keogh Plan after I left corporate life and started my own business. That will come in 2017. The amount will reflect not just what I contributed, but how well I invested my own portfolio over the years.

THAT deposit will make me very proud, because I really worked hard at learning, researching, and managing my assets and the RMD will reflect that I did well at it. I recognize there is still risk from here on out, but I know I can enjoy retirement partly because I started planning for it so early, and dedicated a big chunk of discretionary income to retirement instead of spending it on other things.

Good thing I'll get to enjoy the pride . . . because sometimes I wonder if I would have been happier in the long run doing more with the money when I could really enjoy the experiences, and putting up with a little more frugality in retirement. Hard to know . . .

Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 AM

23 posts, read 21,818 times
Maybe I should have said pension and or Social Security Check.

I think what is forgotten by many of the posters on this board is that the Social Security check is the biggest part of retirement income for most Americans and they can't retire until that check arrives.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 AM

570 posts, read 663,919 times

Old 01-05-2016, 10:19 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times
Our SS deposits will start with January payment in late February, however mine will be 1020. Spousal benefit and I have to pay 928. for my health insurance which also started Jan 1. I am 63 now and won't be 65 for medicare for 18 months so INSANE premium each month till then.

and we will be trying to live on JUST social security. Combination of illness, lay offs etc. and yes probably bad decision making, but There it is!

Old 01-05-2016, 10:51 AM

6,954 posts, read 7,397,767 times
But I'm only 39.

I will always be 39.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or