U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 08:24 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times

Advertisements

I am old-fashioned in some ways, and I still greatly enjoy having the Los Angeles Times delivered to my door step every day. It has been down-sized quite a bit over the last decade or two, a deplorable development necessitated by the decrease in ad revenue as fewer and fewer people read a daily newspaper. Nonetheless it's still an excellent newspaper, although I have to admit that the New York Times is better. There would be a huge hole in my life if I didn't have it.

Somehow, online editions don't cut it for me in the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:26 PM

21,834 posts, read 14,341,548 times
Ah, the daily newspaper. I read the St. Louis Post-Dispatch all my life. I knew that I would miss the Post when we moved, and I was right. I do miss it. I tried an electronic subscription to our local paper, but I didn't enjoy reading it. The software was clunky, and most of the news was old to me.

DH gets the Wall Street Journal, and I like the lifestyle stuff, although everything there is way out of my league. I do like the reviews which are published on Saturday; most of the reviews are of nonfiction, and they are so thorough, it is as if I had read the actual book. I do read some of the hard news stories, but the editorials are all the same: Obama is awful.

I get most of my news from IPad apps now: AP, Huffington Post, Slate, Salon, and a new to me app called Flipboard. I also have a feed reader called Feedly which I use for cultural, crafting, fashion, cooking sites. I love being able to read articles on Archeaology and Anthropology, as well as medical news and other interesting stuff. I read more widely now than ever before, although my book reading has suffered.

And, I also have an app for the Post-Dispatch. So I keep in touch with my hometown that way. The Post has a much better app than other local papers. I'm really lucky that way. But the paper won't exist forever, at least as a hard copy. They will have to find a way to charge for electronic copies. So far, no dice though.

Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 PM

6,212 posts, read 4,715,040 times
TV news seems more about the news commentators joking around for a few minutes, sports, weather and lots of ads. Of course, there is always a human interest story. Newspapers have gone downhill and continue to get worse. Five minutes a day with google news will put you ahead of TV news for sure and even ahead of reading some newspapers.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 PM

2,403 posts, read 1,044,554 times
Google News

Old 01-04-2016, 09:33 PM

14,013 posts, read 20,317,250 times
Just bookmark websites you like.
I vist 50+ each day.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:42 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
When I moved to SoCal some 30 years ago, the local daily paper was a provincial little rag. Shameful for as large a city as I live in (not LA). And it only got worse, over the years. I had been spoiled growing up, when Chicago had two really good daily papers.

So I got used to doing without a printed newspaper a long time ago. I look at new headlines on some of our TV station web sites, sometimes look at google news, sometimes look at Flipbook, sometimes look at our local public radio local news sites.

And we watch news on TV when we feel like it.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:54 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
We have 2 papers delivered daily, one covers the State and the rest of the world and the other is a localized local news newspaper.
We like the idea of sitting in the rocker at our leisure reading and sipping a cup o' joe and relaxing. It's much easier on the eyes and the back than the computer stuff with less crap to filter through.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
So---all of you of a certain age who also grew up reading the paper---are you still? Alternative sources for getting the news?
Our local big city paper is excellent. We were paying ca $50 a month for home delivery print but a couple of years ago switched to the digital version for $14 a month. We're very happy with it.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 PM

3,971 posts, read 2,533,474 times
The LA Times just fired 82 writers and editors, some of them fancied themselves as famous. they reduced the size of the paper a couple of years ago. When you tell half of your potential readers up yours with a extreme left wing slant on all the so called news what do you expect.
I was in Oregon for Christmas and the Portland Oregonian is now a tiny paper, absolutely worthless and it used to be as big as the LA Times. Again extremely liberal and people are sick of that nonsense.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 PM

442 posts, read 280,788 times
Have a digital subscription to the Washington Post, and read this daily. Go to the library to catch up on back issues of the local paper. Watch tv news rarely, and then mainly for weather. Occasionally Google stories of particular interest, occasionally check out politico. Re reading the paper with family as a kid: miss those days of everyone in the family bickering over who got to read Mike Royko first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or