U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:59 PM

21,845 posts, read 14,356,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
TV news seems more about the news commentators joking around for a few minutes, sports, weather and lots of ads. Of course, there is always a human interest story. Newspapers have gone downhill and continue to get worse. Five minutes a day with google news will put you ahead of TV news for sure and even ahead of reading some newspapers.
We chose the NBC Portland affiliate when we moved to SW WA, as the best of the lot. The stories as reported by the CBS affiliate were badly written and not always accurate. I do like the national NBC news, with Lester Holt. But honestly, TV news is mediocre, at best. Local news is appalling. I kid you not, for 3 consecutive days, our local NBC ran footage and a story about the big Christmas tree in Pioneer square. We saw footage of the tree lit up, the next day we saw footage of the tree unlit, and the next day we saw footage of the tree being dismantled! Come on, that's not news. Its laziness.

I pay attention to the local weather forecast though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
I used to read the local newspaper extensively, but like stated the local papers have declined substantially the past decade. So now I get news from a custom set up I have with Google News, and also take a quick read of the Washington Post and the local tv news web sites.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:18 AM

915 posts, read 678,716 times
LOL....newspapers have outdated news by the time you get it delivered. Just get it online.

Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Don't like TV or radio news, but look at 23+ online newspapers daily.
Bada Bing!

Old 01-08-2016, 07:38 AM

29,772 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
So nightlysparrow, do you actually subscribe to them? Because I don't think you can get full access to most unless you subscribe. 23+ is so many---which ones are your favorite?
If using online and you reach the maximum number of free articles, just clean your cache and cookies and page history out using the method for your device. Before doing that close all open browsers etc etc. If that doesn't work turn the device off and back on and you will be back to starting all over again. The Wall Street Journal doesn't give free articles so after a paragraph you have to subscribe for the rest of the article. Also if you have multiple devices they will each give you the number of free articles so really four devices with the site capped at three free articles is twelve before having to clean up.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:31 AM

19,883 posts, read 14,224,806 times
Quote:
So---all of you of a certain age who also grew up reading the paper---are you still?
No.

Quote:
Alternative sources for getting the news?
Online from foreign sources. There are plenty of English language news sources from the UK, France, Germany, Russia and such.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:01 PM

8,240 posts, read 11,107,651 times
I still have home delivery although our hometown paper is struggling, or maybe I should say BECAUSE our hometown paper is struggling. I'm a blogger and an active Democrat so keeping up with the news is important to me. my sources are: TV: CNN, MSNBC and the local access channel that carries the City Council and County Supervisors meetings. Radio: nothing since the radio here is all rightwing. Magazines: Time, Money (useless), New Yorker, Sunset, Better Homes, Conde Nast Traveler, and a couple of local weeklies. There is also a local uber-website that I check four or five times a day. Enjoy your retirement! I've never been happier.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:11 PM

2,901 posts, read 1,583,756 times
I get the news digitally now, no reason to buy an actual paper.

There really isn't anything that rivals the NY Times for folks interested in real news that is both wide ranging & deep, two qualities that seem to be in short supply for current event coverage. (In active war zones they typically have 2-3 journalists that usually speak the local language, most outlets have none or maybe one, or one who will do a "drive by" report & leave after a short time, forget about TV coverage, maybe the BBC.)

The Wall Street Journal & Washington Post are both excellent as well, I'm lucky in that my former job still has me subscribed to the online NYT & WSJ, don't have the time to check out WP much so don't know if it is subscriber based, I suspect so. Like most things you get what you pay for. Barron's has good financial articles (subscriber) as does the Financial Times.

Google News is a good free aggregator that links to free articles to these & other periodicals. The Guardian is good, has a decidedly left of center perspective if that's an issue, & the BBC has a non-video news site & Reuters is very good as well for outlets with a more international perspective.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM

34 posts, read 21,954 times
Read the Chicago Tribune cover to cover, 7 days a week for years. Decades, really. Loved it. Cancelled my subscription when I couldn't get them to stop delivering my paper when I was on vacation. After the 4th or 5th time of coming home to 7-14 papers sitting in my driveway, I had had it. Went through withdrawal, but made it out alive

Now I mainly get my news via TV and various online sites. I try to read a variety of sources, so I'm not letting any one particular spin just confirm my own biases. I did recently subscribe to the Tribune's digital version ($1/week), but mostly only read the sports info in there.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM

8,766 posts, read 7,695,901 times
I really don't bother much with the typical news from the paper or TV. Its all distorted, corrupted, biased junk. You have no idea what is really going on based on the news. Besides, so much of "news" has become editorial content. The bottom line is, I really don't care what's going on any more. The country is being run to make people in high places a lot of money. Charities are being run to make money for the people who run the charity, not primarily to benefit the people they claim to want to help. Everyone is trying to manipulate the "news" for their own purposes.

I had a DR. tell me this one today. According to him, the most lethal cancer today is actually lung cancer. If the American Cancer Society was really doing its job, they would be alerting the public about the dangers of smoking, but instead, most of their money also goes to their executives, who fly around on corporate jets, and they instead campaign against breast cancer, which gets them more news coverage, and probably more money coming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or