Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
DH is going in for eye surgery on Monday, and he is unsettled by the changes that happen along with this. He will need assistance from me, can't bend down, drive or do normal tasks. He has apologized for my having to do extra. I know he worries about boredom and also about surgery failure and side effects. But he has no choice. He already has vision loss because of glaucoma.

I feel the strain because I will have to drive in Portland, which I find hard. But I feel we can get through this together. He is a rock, really. I don't mind doing extra stuff. As long as he stays healthy.

Then, after that, I need to visit a doc or two myself, but I don't think I am doing too badly right now.

I will actually be more glad than ever to get through the next 8+ weeks until March.
I had glaucoma surgery on both eyes. The restrictions are not much different from any other surgery I've had. The more unusual ones were not picking up anything for a while, not pushing the vacuum cleaner for a while, no bending over. But time goes by, you do what you have to do and before you know it, you are back to driving the car, doing a lot of what you couldn't do right after the surgery tho perhaps more moderately. It is worth every single minute if it means you keep your eyesight. I didn't think there was a choice. I didn't want to go blind. Oh, and I'm a single woman, nobody around to help me out except for rides to and from the doctor and pharmacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 04:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
This year will mean a major shift in my life. Retire in May, pack up and move to South Carolina, finish the tweaks on the new house. By this time next year I will (hopefully) have settled into a who new lifestyle.
Your address, please?

Old 01-06-2016, 05:06 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,383,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I had glaucoma surgery on both eyes. The restrictions are not much different from any other surgery I've had. The more unusual ones were not picking up anything for a while, not pushing the vacuum cleaner for a while, no bending over. But time goes by, you do what you have to do and before you know it, you are back to driving the car, doing a lot of what you couldn't do right after the surgery tho perhaps more moderately. It is worth every single minute if it means you keep your eyesight. I didn't think there was a choice. I didn't want to go blind. Oh, and I'm a single woman, nobody around to help me out except for rides to and from the doctor and pharmacy.
That's encouraging to hear that there are successful treatments for glaucoma. I just turned 60 and am seeing an ophthalmologist next week for possible macular degeneration. I've always had terrible vision so am not surprised, I figured I might eventually get glaucoma or cataracts and see my optometrist yearly but did not expect macular degeneration or for problems to start at 60. At least it is only one eye that is of concern.

My other news is that I have decided to start using my annual leave and taking one day a week off from work. Originally I had planned to accumulate my leave and eventually cash it out but this will make the next 1 1/2 years until retirement more bearable.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
That's encouraging to hear that there are successful treatments for glaucoma. I just turned 60 and am seeing an ophthalmologist next week for possible macular degeneration. I've always had terrible vision so am not surprised, I figured I might eventually get glaucoma or cataracts and see my optometrist yearly but did not expect macular degeneration or for problems to start at 60. At least it is only one eye that is of concern.

My other news is that I have decided to start using my annual leave and taking one day a week off from work. Originally I had planned to accumulate my leave and eventually cash it out but this will make the next 1 1/2 years until retirement more bearable.
Good for you on the taking time off. As for the eye problems, I can only say for myself that I love being able to see better but d miss the near sightedness which allow me to read with it glasses. Now I have to wear glasses morning to night, just to be able to read.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post

I am sorry to hear of your possible macular degeneration. Not an easy thing to hear or to deal with. I have known a couple of women who suffered with it in both eyes, so if you are saying one eye has the problem, that is better than having both involved.

I can tell you they are making leaps and bounds in their research for glaucoma and macular degeneration.

The only thing I can say with conviction is that you do whatever your eye doctor tells you to do, unless it is so far out in left field you know you have to find another doctor. With these eye diseases, time is of the essence. I was about 35 (now 73) when first diagnosed with high pressure on the optic nerve, so I have used drops since then. When the doctor says you need surgery, do it. Don't wait to see if it gets better. It probably will not. You will end up using a lot of different drops. Each has its own function and importance.

I hope you will let us know what happens when you see the ophthalmologist.

Good luck.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:59 PM

8 posts, read 7,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
richard.wilson: I am truly sorry you are going through this very difficult time.

A month or so ago, I went through something similar in that a chest x-ray showed something which made it necessary for a CT scan of my chest which showed something on my thyroid which made me need a thyroid ultrasound (I had multiple nodules on my thyroid). Then I had an appointment with an endocrinologist. But before my endo appointment, I searched the internet looking for what it could possibly mean. Cancer? I had myself convinced I had cancer. I knew a man whose wife passed away from thyroid cancer. Then I had my endo appointment at which time four biopsies were performed.

No cancer. I had built it up so much in my head that I had cancer, it was almost disappointing to find out I didn't have it. (I know, that sounds kind of weird, doesn't it?)

So I guess I want to tell you..... don't project! Many things that happen to our bodies may SEEM like the dreaded cancer but turn out to be something else.

I pray this is the outcome you have. You have a lot of people praying for you here.

Please let us know how your exam goes.
NYgal, Thanks for sharing your encouraging story. Also thanks for the prayers and thoughts.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:27 PM

8 posts, read 7,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
DH is going in for eye surgery on Monday, and he is unsettled by the changes that happen along with this. He will need assistance from me, can't bend down, drive or do normal tasks. He has apologized for my having to do extra. I know he worries about boredom and also about surgery failure and side effects. But he has no choice. He already has vision loss because of glaucoma.

I feel the strain because I will have to drive in Portland, which I find hard. But I feel we can get through this together. He is a rock, really. I don't mind doing extra stuff. As long as he stays healthy.

Then, after that, I need to visit a doc or two myself, but I don't think I am doing too badly right now.

I will actually be more glad than ever to get through the next 8+ weeks until March.

Silibran, My Mother had glaucoma surgery in her 70's and the surgery was a success. She was able to read fine until she died at 91. Medical science has made great strides in these eye surgeries. You and your husband will be in my thoughts.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:20 AM

1,042 posts, read 873,813 times
TONS of new stuff. Selling our house. Purchasing 4 houses. Hopefully losing 30 pounds. Staying in remission, Starting an Antique Autistic video blog. Getting eggs from my chickens. Starting a GRASP autistic support group. learning new jewelry design techniques. getting a bit of honey from my bee hive. Start selling bakery items under the fairly new cottage laws. Making AutHaven better. Neighborhood watch. All sorts of activities at the Senior center. Learn swing dance. Fix up my fixer uppers. Hopefully reap enough from my garden o cover half of veggies for the year.fINALLY Start a proper skin care routine and learn to apply camera ready makeup. Go on a 2 week back to back cruise on carnivals beautiful "Breeze."Get more involved in neighborhood trading and sharing. teach some of my neighbors how to paint their old crappy countertops into beyond beautiful [and durable] countertops for about $50.I can finally spend huge amounts of time with family. work out more. Attend at least 3 autistic or disability conference for free [ for free is the hard part, but offering speaking or something often helps] Meeting at least one person from this forum [yes! I mean you!]

Old 01-07-2016, 01:26 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Our house remodel is done. Yay!!

We have been getting out more. A lot more. Parties once a month at different house. A subgroup called BYOB of a large group we joined. $5 a year to belong, lol. We are hosting in May. It is so popular that every month is filled in 2016. There is talk of having two every month because people don't get to go due to the limit on number of people attending. Usually less than 40 in a group of over 300.

Shows. Living in Las Vegas gives us access to a lot of shows. We've seen the Fab Four twice. Great holiday productions, etc. We are going to a blues show later this month.

Get togethers. We have been invited to numerous things. Dinner out at a Chinese restaurant with nine people - we only knew two so new friends made, a birthday party, a Jewish get together and I cannot for the life of me remember what the occasion was. It was a celebration of something religious. Can you tell I've never been around Jewish people? Well I am now and I'm really enjoying learning about their culture.

We found a couple to play bridge with. Once a week and we swap houses. This week we played over the Internet as I'm sick. This is the first cold I've had in at least 5 years, and I know who gave it to me. And he probably gave it to a number of people at the birthday party we went to. What a considerate individual he is.

And this year, all things going well, we are going to Ireland.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 PM

2,103 posts, read 1,932,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The only thing special for the year is that the wife and I are planning an Amtrak ride to the west coast and back. This is on my bucket list to do.
Garthur,

I had thought about doing a coast-to-coast train ride for years. Your post prompted me to check into it.

At first, it sounds like a great idea based on this article

http://dereklow.co/across-the-usa-by...-for-just-213/

Then, the idea was quickly killed after reading this:

Here's What That Post About Taking a Train Across the US for $213 Doesn't Tell You*|*Eric Fadden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement