U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 05:52 PM

4,969 posts, read 3,455,934 times

Advertisements

I am probably going to move south. Cleveland had been on my short list but, winter has already taken its toll. My back hurts all the time & I do not want to go back to taking pain pills.

I am planning a trip to Tennessee in the spring & have been talking to a realtor there. There is still a lot of researching I have to do before I go. The reality is that I won't know what's there until I see & investigate the possibilities.

We had to turn in paperwork to be re-certified today. I will know soon, but am fairly certain the settlement for the car accident will put me over the edge & rent here could go up over $100. It would still be cheap but not worth the inconvenience of living so far from town. I can pay the same higher price & move into town.

It's still an up in the air situation for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I am probably going to move south. Cleveland had been on my short list but, winter has already taken its toll. My back hurts all the time & I do not want to go back to taking pain pills.

I am planning a trip to Tennessee in the spring & have been talking to a realtor there. There is still a lot of researching I have to do before I go. The reality is that I won't know what's there until I see & investigate the possibilities.

We had to turn in paperwork to be re-certified today. I will know soon, but am fairly certain the settlement for the car accident will put me over the edge & rent here could go up over $100. It would still be cheap but not worth the inconvenience of living so far from town. I can pay the same higher price & move into town.

It's still an up in the air situation for me.
Tennessee should be beautiful in the spring. (:

Old 01-05-2016, 06:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.wilson View Post
I'm afraid what's new for me this year is not going to be pleasant. I went to a doctor in December and during the usual pushing around, he said you have an enlarged liver. I'm scheduled for a Cscan Monday, but from my research I think the most likely outcome is liver or pancreatic cancer, the two medical science can still not cure. I keep thinking this can't be happening to me, I feel great, run every day. have never smoked, don't drink and even occasionally eat broccoli.

Sorry to be such a downer. I guess I just needed to express myself somewhere.
You are welcome here.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,185 times
Quote:
I'm afraid what's new for me this year is not going to be pleasant. I went to a doctor in December and during the usual pushing around, he said you have an enlarged liver. I'm scheduled for a Cscan Monday, but from my research I think the most likely outcome is liver or pancreatic cancer, the two medical science can still not cure. I keep thinking this can't be happening to me, I feel great, run every day. have never smoked, don't drink and even occasionally eat broccoli.

Oh no, I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I know it is easy for me to say, but try not to borrow trouble by getting locked into possible diagnoses. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM

676 posts, read 1,328,108 times
I will be moving west in the Spring. I've been packing on and off for the last year. I will try to schedule movers before the end of this month.

I have spend the last year obsessing about where I want to live in retirement. Apparently, every place I decided would be right for me (Oregon, Washington state, Colorado) also has rapidly increasing real estate prices. I'm pretty sure this is because other retiring Boomers are relocating to those states. While I will be okay financially, I do not want to spend too much on housing. I guess I had better pick a place soon.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,298,735 times
The only thing special for the year is that the wife and I are planning an Amtrak ride to the west coast and back. This is on my bucket list to do.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The only thing special for the year is that the wife and I are planning an Amtrak ride to the west coast and back. This is on my bucket list to do.
My sisters and I want to do that!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,224,185 times
I may be getting laid off in February, or as my company euphemistically calls it, "displaced". It is going to be a slow winter, and I suspect my boss may take advantage of it to get rid of me. If so, it will be fine, I will get a severance package and will be able to transfer to another division.
If all goes well, my plans include a 5 day hike through the Smoky Mts in October, a road trip to NW Arkansas to scope it out as a possible retirement location, taking a small business startup seminar, attending APDT conference, and finally looking at making plans to exit the corporate world, ideally in the fall of 2017. Busy year.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:43 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I've always wanted to do that but it's extremely expensive. I hope you get to do it.

I've been calling the apartments I want to move to in Virginia and trying to get up the nerve to face moving.

But the most recent event--and it happened today--was that my new smart phone arrived. Now I have to learn how to actually use it.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:41 PM

6,954 posts, read 7,390,876 times
Quote:

Praying all turns out good. This is a good place to rant or rave or just unload.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or