U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:26 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,646,140 times

Advertisements

Well, this month or next, I'm totally leaving the VA Medical and going with a PCP that takes Medicare/Florida Blue and Humana Rx. Wife and I see it as useless paying a monthly premium for each of these and not using them on a regular basis. Last year (March 2015), I had rotator cuff surgery w/16 weeks of PT and a pain med. and all we paid totally was $400 (Medicare/Florida Blue/Humana). A $35k surgery, plus PT and the pain med and that's all we paid!
When I first started using my VA Medical in '95, it was free to me. That was the time when companies starting having employee's pay for medical insurance. At that time, I was living very close to a VA Hospital. I don't now and have to pay a co-pay due to my wife's job salary and that I have no "Service-Connected" medical problems. Besides that, the VA has really gotten bogged down with all the Veteran's that are in the medical thing now.

This coming summer, we plan on taking a trip to Disney World/Hollywood Studios/Launch Bay for their Star Wars area. We have our 15 year Wedding Anniversary this March, but plan on celebrating that by going there.

Will also be getting things ready (downsizing) to return to Denver, CO/south to live in mid 2017. Been in Florida since Jan. '09 and don't like it like we thought we would. Shoot, we still have our Winter Parka's from when we lived there before! Anyway, by the time we leave here, both of us will be retired and not have to get up everyday during those winter months and go to work. That will be nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 08:34 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,002 times
It will be a busy year full of change - retirement (finally), getting house ready to sell, deciding where to move and doing so, figuring out how to take care of declining 85yo parent's health and living situations, and hopefully learning some new things and making some new friends along the way. On the health front, I have had several scares like the one mentioned. They were all for nought and I learned that we can convince ourselves of just about anything - the mind/placebo effect.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:10 AM

552 posts, read 640,472 times
Getting my Harley stroked and bored to 103ci, if this rain ever quits I'll probably get in a ride this year.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,236 times
Richard, hoping all is ok.

{{Umbria}} hugs! [We really need a hug icon!!] Gads how I hate getting a flat tire. Last time I had to call a tow service cause the lugs nuts were on so tight that I and my brother couldn't budge them

Since last year was so filled with change (quitting smoking and moving ~1800 miles), I would like a somewhat calmer year Since I don't have a lot of spare change, I decided that the easiest way for me to get healthier and shed a few pounds would be to turn on old 60's music and dance. I can dance through 2 songs before I get a bit out of breath, so I'm starting out easy but hope to make it through a solid half hour of dancing within 6 weeks

Old 01-06-2016, 10:10 AM

6,408 posts, read 3,356,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.wilson View Post
I'm afraid what's new for me this year is not going to be pleasant. I went to a doctor in December and during the usual pushing around, he said you have an enlarged liver. I'm scheduled for a Cscan Monday, but from my research I think the most likely outcome is liver or pancreatic cancer, the two medical science can still not cure. I keep thinking this can't be happening to me, I feel great, run every day. have never smoked, don't drink and even occasionally eat broccoli.

Sorry to be such a downer. I guess I just needed to express myself somewhere.
We had a friend with an enlarged liver a few years ago who is just fine now.
She was an artist using a lot of paints, and they think she just got a toxic overload or something.
She had to be on a really clean diet and maybe even had chelation therapy, (can't remember all the details) but she ended up just fine. So there could be other reasons besides cancer.
Will put good thoughts out for you.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:39 PM

30,683 posts, read 49,455,573 times
We finally got some snow, I do not like winters that are wet and muddy. Now the ground is frozen, so the snow will stay a while. The last couple days have been beautiful, with clear sunny skies. It feels very nice.

This year [2016] will be our first year with Solar-Power. We shifted to it last September. Right now our Battery-Bank is full by 10am each morning. So until sun-set we could run every appliance in the house if we wanted to. After sun-set we only use lighting and our PCs, so it is not a big drain on our batteries. It should be interesting as time goes by and we get more accustomed to this lifestyle.

I have a bunch of things sprouting in our windows; spinach, basil, lovage, etc. My lemon trees have been blossoming through the the holidays, all withered now. I am not sure yet if they got pollinated. I twill be nice to get some more lemons to set. No figs this winter. Last winter we had a bunch of figs ripening at this time.

I am one year and 4 months post cancer surgery. My urologist has me going in every quarter for re-testing, still. The tests all show 'negative', so we are good.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:48 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.wilson View Post
I'm afraid what's new for me this year is not going to be pleasant. I went to a doctor in December and during the usual pushing around, he said you have an enlarged liver. I'm scheduled for a Cscan Monday, but from my research I think the most likely outcome is liver or pancreatic cancer, the two medical science can still not cure. I keep thinking this can't be happening to me, I feel great, run every day. have never smoked, don't drink and even occasionally eat broccoli.

Sorry to be such a downer. I guess I just needed to express myself somewhere.
I know NOT knowing is awful, and I sincerely hope this is not as bad as you fear. But I totally understand your fear. I hope your news is better than you fear. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:52 PM

21,869 posts, read 14,383,691 times
DH is going in for eye surgery on Monday, and he is unsettled by the changes that happen along with this. He will need assistance from me, can't bend down, drive or do normal tasks. He has apologized for my having to do extra. I know he worries about boredom and also about surgery failure and side effects. But he has no choice. He already has vision loss because of glaucoma.

I feel the strain because I will have to drive in Portland, which I find hard. But I feel we can get through this together. He is a rock, really. I don't mind doing extra stuff. As long as he stays healthy.

Then, after that, I need to visit a doc or two myself, but I don't think I am doing too badly right now.

I will actually be more glad than ever to get through the next 8+ weeks until March.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:53 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,846 times
This year will mean a major shift in my life. Retire in May, pack up and move to South Carolina, finish the tweaks on the new house. By this time next year I will (hopefully) have settled into a who new lifestyle.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:56 PM

1,450 posts, read 876,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
For some reason the second half of the calendar year seems more stressful to me than the first, which is not really stressful at all in terms of holidays, events and obligations, etc. It helps that our winter in NE has so far been really easy. No snow, no ice storms, not too cold, easy heating bill.

Besides that, just the prospect of the new year stretching out in front of us suggests new beginnings and the return of spring. Starting to think about buying seeds, what we'll add to the yard this year, and now that the house is almost done, where we might go for day trips, etc.

Anyone else feeling a sense of freedom at this point in the year? New things happening for you?
Not really because it is winter. I do feel that freedom in April. I seldom leave home this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or