U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 12:12 PM

56,305 posts, read 54,748,439 times

Advertisements

There was an 80-year-old woman when I was going to pt who could do a five-minute plank. I was impressed. She was petite and small-boned, though.

I do stretches and some things to strengthen my back, but planks only make my back hurt worse, and it lasts a couple of days. Not good for me, and I am puzzled as to why my pt suggested I do them after having a back sprain in the lumbar area when it makes it worse.

Old 07-17-2019, 02:30 PM

28,289 posts, read 39,967,233 times
For some it's not an indication of anything. I can't do it. My right leg says no. The one I had Polio in. You'd never know I had it to see me, but it does cause some problems. My Pulmonologist actually tracks my symptoms.

I can set a handbrake that most of you might, just might be able to unset with both hands. LOL!

71 btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM

21,967 posts, read 16,750,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There was an 80-year-old woman when I was going to pt who could do a five-minute plank. I was impressed. She was petite and small-boned, though.

I do stretches and some things to strengthen my back, but planks only make my back hurt worse, and it lasts a couple of days. Not good for me, and I am puzzled as to why my pt suggested I do them after having a back sprain in the lumbar area when it makes it worse.
Did your PT recommend something different when you told him that planks hurt your back?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:38 PM

452 posts, read 1,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I've kept in good shape all my life, so doing this is easy. And every morning when I get up I do a series of movements and stretches such as standing knee raises, hip rotations, shoulder rolls forward and back, bending over with legs straight touching palms to floor, and other things, including holding the abdominal plank for six minutes or so, and hanging from a doorway pull up bar. It's a good habit to get into.
Thanks for the feedback. You're inspiring me to do more of these things. I can touch my palms to the floor with legs relaxed, but have never been able to touch my fingers anywhere close to the floor with legs straight, even after a year of daily practice. I'm just not that flexible. The hanging from rings I can do and have been looking forward to doing for awhile, as soon as I get them put up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
planks only make my back hurt worse, and it lasts a couple of days. Not good for me, and I am puzzled as to why my pt suggested I do them after having a back sprain in the lumbar area when it makes it worse.
You should definitely not do them, and only do the things that you feel are best for you.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:03 AM

21,967 posts, read 16,750,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
Thanks for the feedback. You're inspiring me to do more of these things. I can touch my palms to the floor with legs relaxed, but have never been able to touch my fingers anywhere close to the floor with legs straight, even after a year of daily practice. I'm just not that flexible. The hanging from rings I can do and have been looking forward to doing for awhile, as soon as I get them put up.
I'm glad to hear that. Just progress slowly to avoid injury. It definitely feels much better to be in shape than to not be.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 AM

749 posts, read 486,527 times
I liked this video. It gave me a good laugh. I'm still giggling a bit hysterically about it....

Old 07-18-2019, 05:25 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,120,761 times
Here is a video with older people.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LWyRUYMQ7ws

Old 07-18-2019, 05:53 PM

6,624 posts, read 4,130,852 times
My husband and I are only 52 and 50, and we can both not only go up and down with feet crossed but also with feet side by side and touching. That is a lot harder! But it seems to me that as people get older, the important thing is that they can get up off the ground at all. My mother-in-law, for instance, is 81, and she can't get up off the floor unless there is furniture nearby to hold on to, or someone holds her hands and pulls. She lives alone, and if she fell in the middle of the living room or back yard, it would be bad news.

Old 07-20-2019, 07:46 AM

1,794 posts, read 580,559 times
It wasn’t pretty but I could do it. I’ll be 72 on next b’day.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:05 AM

221 posts, read 76,702 times
I am 58, and could not get up with the legs crossed. Not worried, as I still run 3 miles 4-5 times a week, and also work out with weights. All my life, I have never been comfortable sitting cross-legged. Never have been very flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or